.270 the best?

Who thinks the .270 Winchester is the best deer round ever created? I think it just might be the absolute best. And which load is better for deer, the 130 grain or the 150 grain? I prefer the 150. You get great penetration from the 150.
Great gun and folks here are right in saying....why does it need more bullet selection. It does it's job flawlessly...i prefer 150 gr...not my go too gun...but I question myself often...why isn't it....too many other choices i guess and the Long Range bug bit me....at my age I need a new challenge...shot most everything there is to shoot in North America....so instead of trying to get close....the challenge now...is back up!

Opening up a can of worms but in the southeast generally a 270 and a 25-06 are hard to beat . Out west a little more horsepower isn't bad . The gunmaker s have to come up with something new and better to sell guns. They aren't making that many new hunters . People are moving to the cities where a lot of the jobs go and they can't have a gun so there you go
I haven't heard of too many cities in North America where you can't have a gun. However here in Canada....that mindless @#$-*""" Prime Minister is sure trying

I like mine, and was pleased to build an accurate safe load this season with 140 Nosler Partition at a measured 3200 FPS with RL26.
Best I figure, this puts the plain old 270 into Weatherby/WSM territory...
Headed for Texas Mule deer with it next month.
Photo is not the load I use for game, but it's accurate all the same.
View attachment 223687View attachment 223688View attachment 223689View attachment 223690
View attachment 223686
I like mine, and was pleased to build an accurate safe load this season with 140 Nosler Partition at a measured 3200 FPS with RL26.
View attachment 223687View attachment 223688View attachment 223689View attachment 223690
View attachment 223686
Absolutely gorgeous

270 might be the most overrated cartridge. That would a better argument IMO. I have a 280 Remington, and IMO it's clearly a better deer rifle than a 270 in all aspects simply because it has access to 7mm bullets over the odd ball .277 diameter. The only thing I'll give the .270 is it was well commercialized by Winchester which led to great sales over the years. But Best deer? Hell no.
The .280 MAY be a bit better, but Only for reloaders, and I have'em both. The .280 will NEVER eclipse the .270 in popularity.

For roughly 250 years (probably more) American hunters have been killing deer with rifles ranging from .36 caliber black powder rifles to .375 H & H Magnums...and I suspect the deer haven't gotten any harder to kill. it has always called for careful bullet placement and sufficient power of the projectile to destroy vital parts. That's the formula, not some bunch of numbers called a "caliber".

.007 buys you nothing but more bullet choices. Jack had it write.(sic).

Maybe. Some would argue it's easier to find .270 Win ammo on the shelf too.

Yes, .284 does offer more bullet choices. Its my experience that the 280 Rem is a better design; -
-easier to load for
-slightly greater case capacity
-better expansion ratio
-works well with more different powders

To some, this is minutiae - I'm not saying a deer could tell the difference, but I can!

View attachment 223686
Beautiful stock wood, inletting, checkering and finish

Oh yeah, all that said, the .257 Weatherby IS actually the best DEER cartridge ever created. And it's not even close.
Okay, The .257 Weatherby is the best. No question. I once owned a .257 Roberts AI. (was relieved of that and many other weapons by a burglar) Shot a smallish buck at 501 paces, however far that is. He was DRT. So I like the .257. But I am thankful as all-get-out that someone somewhere realized that this country needed a 6.5mm bullet to solve all other problems. And to think, I was close to coming out with a 6.4mm or a 6.6mm so everyone could have the perfect DEER cartridge. I'm kidding, sorta. I am actually a 7mm man, but I will shoot any straight-shooting caliber and enjoy the experience. But whatever happens, I doubt that my next rifle will be a 6.5mm. That is more common than the 30-06.

Nothing wrong with the 270, but I prefer a 7mm-08 in a short action/fast handling rifle as my very best all around deer rifle/cartridge. Different strokes I suppose. No recoil to speak of and more bullet weights to choose from. I'm sure it don't kill em' any deader but its my favorite.....I did start my deer hunting career with a 270 pre 64 Win., but its a long way down the road now.
I've been shooting a pre 64 M70 since 1977, only thing that has changed is the scope, from a L4 to Leopold ultra light 2x7. Now I carry it on sun shiny days. 😎

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.