.270 the best?

Uh-oh...LOL. While I love my 270's and have killed a lot of various game and varmints with them and my past 270 Gibbs, I have had very good success on deer sized game with my 25-06's, 6.5's and 6mm's and of course, the larger bores. Personally, the best deer caliber is the one I am holding when hunting.

270 might be the most overrated cartridge. That would a better argument IMO. I have a 280 Remington, and IMO it's clearly a better deer rifle than a 270 in all aspects simply because it has access to 7mm bullets over the odd ball .277 diameter. The only thing I'll give the .270 is it was well commercialized by Winchester which led to great sales over the years. But Best deer? Hell no.

I'll say the 260 Remington is the best deer cartridge ever built for all purposes. 🤣. The 270 Winchester is an excellent Deer round though. Doesn't take much to kill a deer though.

I like mine, and was pleased to build an accurate safe load this season with 140 Nosler Partition at a measured 3200 FPS with RL26.
Best I figure, this puts the plain old 270 into Weatherby/WSM territory...
Headed for Texas Mule deer with it next month.
Photo is not the load I use for game, but it's accurate all the same.
IMG_1236.JPG
IMG_1237.JPG
IMG_1251.JPG
IMG_1253.JPG

IMG_5064.JPG

The best deer caliber is the one you shot your biggest buck with..I have both 270 and 280 , the difference in diameter is .007.No deer on earth could feel this , but the .284 can shoot heavier bullets . That can be a game changer but bullet construction and bullet placement are greater variables that can cause a more positive result. Emotional attachment sometimes jades reality.

I am a huge fan of the 30-06 and the entire family of cartridges. I am building a 280 AI, I own an 06, 25-06, and 270 already. 270 was my first love and has been in my "stable" since I was 21, I've stated that on the forum before. With the right bullet it is the hammer of thor on deer and antelope, will work very well on elk under 300-400 also with the right bullet.

If I am forced to choose only one for hunting everything, right now, it's the 30-06. We shall see after I finish the 280 build!

I would also add that my 25-06 is my favorite for deer and under game. It's a laser, shoots sub .5 MOA with factory Barnes Vor Tx, and I have only had one animal walk more than 50 yards on me once the trigger is pulled, that was a Wyoming antelope with a high double lung shot. She ran a quarter mile semi circle, my walk straight line to her was less than 100 yards.

Last edited:
I like mine, and was pleased to build an accurate safe load this season with 140 Nosler Partition at a measured 3200 FPS with RL26.
View attachment 223687View attachment 223688View attachment 223689View attachment 223690
View attachment 223686
That is one gorgeous piece amigo!

I seen probable 150 deer over my life time go down with 270's that my cousins used. They were using 130 gr bullets at that time. 60 gr of IMR 4831. Almost no blood shot even those that were hit in different places or angles.

View attachment 223687View attachment 223688View attachment 223689View attachment 223690
View attachment 223686

I maybe old fashioned, but I still love rifles with good wood.

Who thinks the .270 Winchester is the best deer round ever created? I think it just might be the absolute best. And which load is better for deer, the 130 grain or the 150 grain? I prefer the 150. You get great penetration from the 150.
Opening up a can of worms but in the southeast generally a 270 and a 25-06 are hard to beat . Out west a little more horsepower isn't bad . The gunmaker s have to come up with something new and better to sell guns. They aren't making that many new hunters . People are moving to the cities where a lot of the jobs go and they can't have a gun so there you go

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.