270 Build

Man you did steal that one lol. I'm guessing you bought it local?
Yes, bought local. I told myself I needed it when I saw it in the shop, but quickly talked myself out of it.
A few weeks later I dropped in and it was still sitting on the shelf and on sale now! The price was just too good to pass up. I'm into this rifle for just shy of $1100, not including optics. Really excited to shoot it tomorrow 🙌

Anxious to hear how your Stabal ladder goes. I could not find any so I worked up the 117HH with Super Performance. There is a little stabal around now so I may have to pick some up.
How's the Superformance work in the 270?
Velocity, groups, etc?
I use the leverevolution powder in my 30-30AI with great performance.

Nice Rifle there wilkup that 5 conture was Savy thinking by Bergara,I to am Smitten by the 270 Mistique in any flavor!!!, great posts every one ,and Frenchie ,thks for the Fantastic pic,wow your shooting next to Heaven,cheers 🍻👏
I agree. For me, that #5 with a 24" barrel in 270 WCF is just right after having the heavy fluting done.

What did your semi custom start as?
Kinda convoluted, but in short I hunted with a 700 in 30-06 my whole life. I got frustrated with it so sold it along with another rifle and some gear. I bought a used Savage 110 for the action (it just happened to be a 30-06) and put on a Shilen barrel and B&C aluminum bedded stock on it. I have a Timney trigger for it, just haven't gotten around to installing it. I had a VX-3i on the rifle but I sold it and bought a Vortex Razor HD LHT 3-15x42. Then earlier this year I decided to build a second rifle in 7mmRM since I was able to get a CO elk trip on the calendar, so now the LHT is sitting on the 7mm. I'm considering selling the 7mmRM ( also Savage action, shilen barrel, timney trigger, B&C stock) after the trip cause I won't need it living east of the Mississippi. The LHT is going back to the 270W regardless.

Yes, bought local. I told myself I needed it when I saw it in the shop, but quickly talked myself out of it.
A few weeks later I dropped in and it was still sitting on the shelf and on sale now! The price was just too good to pass up. I'm into this rifle for just shy of $1100, not including optics. Really excited to shoot it tomorrow 🙌
Cool deal hope I can find one local and at a good price so I don't have to order but no luck yet

How's the Superformance work in the 270?
Velocity, groups, etc?
I use the leverevolution powder in my 30-30AI with great performance.
No complaints. Made 3400fps with no pressure signs and .75 MOA. Dropped back to a node at 3360 and getting about 1/2 MOA and pretty low ES. Still a little more work to do establishing true numbers, but I'm pretty happy with it.

Made it out to do a little shooting this afternoon and was quite pleased after a rushed shooting session.
After a little scope mishap with loose rings, I made it on to paper but sent five rounds down range without punching paper. After figuring out the scope, I blasted an awesome two shot group after my first shot was rushed by embarrassment from previous shots. The 115gr SMKs were surgically accurate and I was very impressed!
I then fired my first two shot group of 117gr HH. 58.5gr of 6.5 Staball helped me slip just under 1/2MOA and we're cruising at an averaged 3479'
I bumped up the ladder to 59.0gr of Staball and hit ~3519' and clipped an honest 1/2MOA.
With how well the SMKs did, I'm going to experiment a bit more with the HHs one more time before I hit the hills. I'd love to tighten up the groups a bit more if possible.
12 rounds down range and I'd say this rifle is excellent!

Attachments

• C46EA426-B825-4C0F-B97D-CEA32C0A3AB6.jpeg
    C46EA426-B825-4C0F-B97D-CEA32C0A3AB6.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 64
IF you could find an older Sendero in standard bolt face, swap out barrel to .270 Win, 1:8 twist, longer throat for longer higher BC bullets, 26-27", Light Palma contour, Triggertech trigger and you would have one heck of a budget build. The magazine max COAL is 3.65" so longer rounds will feed nicely. The H-S precision stock is basic platform that still works fine. I am ALWAYS looking for one but crazy pricing these days.

My "budget build" is on a 700LA, Magpul stock, standard hinged floor plate, 27", 1:8, .290 free bore, 5R, Light Palma, Triggertech, Athlon Midas Gen2 4.5x27x50.

I am shooting a 156HH at 3200 and 0.4MOA so it seems to be good marriage for the "old man" cartridge. Although its not a CM 😱, it can hold its own or even better with the heavier bullets now available for it. I have also shot the Berger 170EOL and it is no slouch at close to 3100 with RL26 either. Just have not done any range time with it yet to find the 170 "load".

I have shot the 175TGK to 2900+ but the long bearing surface is hard to overcome. The 160 Partition is interesting for possible close work.
The 150ABLR and 150 AB have some promise but hard to get past the 156HH performance. The 165ABLR needs lot more work for me to consider when the Berger 170EOL shoots better.

The .270Win in Savage 110C was first rifle I bought at 18 years old and still have it! Yeah, am older than dirt. Never stopped liking this cartridge since then. It is my "Go To" when I reach into gun safe. There is a sense of "comfort" I feel with it that is hard to explain. Just feels "right".

3779D210-1DC8-4251-BA63-978F0B9ECD61.jpeg

IF you could find an older Sendero in standard bolt face, swap out barrel to .270 Win, 1:8 twist, longer throat for longer higher BC bullets, 26-27", Light Palma contour, Triggertech trigger and you would have one heck of a budget build. The magazine max COAL is 3.65" so longer rounds will feed nicely. The H-S precision stock is basic platform that still works fine. I am ALWAYS looking for one but crazy pricing these days.

My "budget build" is on a 700LA, Magpul stock, standard hinged floor plate, 27", 1:8, .290 free bore, 5R, Light Palma, Triggertech, Athlon Midas Gen2 4.5x27x50.

I am shooting a 156HH at 3200 and 0.4MOA so it seems to be good marriage for the "old man" cartridge. Although its not a CM 😱, it can hold its own or even better with the heavier bullets now available for it. I have also shot the Berger 170EOL and it is no slouch at close to 3100 with RL26 either. Just have not done any range time with it yet to find the 170 "load".

I have shot the 175TGK to 2900+ but the long bearing surface is hard to overcome. The 160 Partition is interesting for possible close work.
The 150ABLR and 150 AB have some promise but hard to get past the 156HH performance. The 165ABLR needs lot more work for me to consider when the Berger 170EOL shoots better.

The .270Win in Savage 110C was first rifle I bought at 18 years old and still have it! Yeah, am older than dirt. Never stopped liking this cartridge since then. It is my "Go To" when I reach into gun safe. There is a sense of "comfort" I feel with it that is hard to explain. Just feels "right".

View attachment 301457
Man, those are some LONG rounds! 😮 The Bergara, like a Sendero, has that super long mag box too. 3.38" with the 117gr HHs gets the base of the bullet just to the top of the case shoulder. Any longer and I'd worry about the bullet coming out.