270 Sherman Build completed!!!

Very nice! Wasn't trying to sway you one way or the other with the primers. Was just wondering.

Funny how the inlaws always bring a storm with them one way or the other! :D

Very nice! Wasn't trying to sway you one way or the other with the primers. Was just wondering.

Funny how the inlaws always bring a storm with them one way or the other! :D

HAHA!!! Very true!!! I'm hoping to get this bad boy back to the .3's again and put some meat on the ground this year with it... So many decisions for spring bear :)
300 SS
270 SS
270 Sherman
338 Edge

Just the few newest ones that need to catch up to my older lot of rifles in the critter dirt nap department

I'm currently in the process of having a 270 Sherman built myself. If you don't mind me asking, what made you decide to move away from RL-26 and start looking at other powders again?

I'm currently in the process of having a 270 Sherman built myself. If you don't mind me asking, what made you decide to move away from RL-26 and start looking at other powders again?

I've been trying to find N 570 locally for well over a year to try in this and my edge but nobody carries it anywhere in my travels. I just finally broke down and ordered a few pounds along with a bunch of other powders online to make it worth the hazmat fees. I feel the 3 top powders speed-wise for this round with the heavies will be n570, rl26, and rl33. I've never tried 7977 or h1000 but i'm sure they will work but be much slower. I also have the very long throat in mine which allows me to use 570 and 33 to more advantage than others may. With the 570 and 33 I am using a drop tube to help out also. I've heard some other 270 Sherman guys have followed close with my 62 grain load of rl 26 with the 165-170 and had very good results.

Ok thanks for the reply. Was just curious. I can't find 26 on a shelf anywhere and am about to order some of it. My rifle is getting shipped out to diamond t tomorrow for the build. I figure he's built a couple of them now so should be a good bet for a shooter. Just got my 8 twist barrel in the other day. Going to finish at 27" plus brake and throating to touch with only the boat tail below the neck so I'm hoping I get some good speed also

The rain and wind subsided before the sun went away tonight and I was able to get the last few tests in for the weekend. I'll attach a picture of the target that had the morning loads with the seating depth changes and the 1 load which I did .4 more grains in that I described a couple posts ago. It turned out that basically the original seating depth I used in primer tests ended the day with a big OL :D
Nice to end with a .370" group!

20170326_192747.jpg

Good to hear from you Idaho Trecker, Elkaholic and everyone on the thread. Funny, I have been doing a little stock pilling of primers for some similar tests. Great job and thanks for posting your results! I've been using the Fed 210m, with 62gr. of RL 26, Nosler Brass, 165 gr Matrix bullet, barrel is a 1:9. I'm seeing similar results of your info earlier...Good stuff!
Not sure if everyone is aware but Matrix sold and is no longer carrying the 165 gr. .270 Matrix bullet! After some emails, it sounds like their his (original owner) personal favorite and kept them with the sale... bummer. The 170 Bergers will be the choice! Thanks for your input on these too Idaho Trecker, I have a couple of pounds of RL 26 so I'll be using it initially. I know you have some good results with RL 33 but they sound very similar, (any thoughts between the two?). Anyway, I'll track some down and put it in the mix, eventually. Im not sure I'll pursue VV570, ...expense and availability, however I do have some VV560 ( .243 tests) but it took a long time to acquire and didn't perform like I'd hoped. Too many options..... haha... but so much fun! Keep posting folks great info here Thanks!

Ok thanks for the reply. Was just curious. I can't find 26 on a shelf anywhere and am about to order some of it. My rifle is getting shipped out to diamond t tomorrow for the build. I figure he's built a couple of them now so should be a good bet for a shooter. Just got my 8 twist barrel in the other day. Going to finish at 27" plus brake and throating to touch with only the boat tail below the neck so I'm hoping I get some good speed also

Sounds like a good build! Mine is also finished at 27. Shawn does excellent work! I just picked up my 6 Dasher from him last Thursday and again top notch. Even fire forming I'm shooting .3s. Finding. Powder can be a pain when you need it. Luckily I was able to pick up another 8# of 26 from sportsman's last week.

Good to hear from you Idaho Trecker, Elkaholic and everyone on the thread. Funny, I have been doing a little stock pilling of primers for some similar tests. Great job and thanks for posting your results! I've been using the Fed 210m, with 62gr. of RL 26, Nosler Brass, 165 gr Matrix bullet, barrel is a 1:9. I'm seeing similar results of your info earlier...Good stuff!
Not sure if everyone is aware but Matrix sold and is no longer carrying the 165 gr. .270 Matrix bullet! After some emails, it sounds like their his (original owner) personal favorite and kept them with the sale... bummer. The 170 Bergers will be the choice! Thanks for your input on these too Idaho Trecker, I have a couple of pounds of RL 26 so I'll be using it initially. I know you have some good results with RL 33 but they sound very similar, (any thoughts between the two?). Anyway, I'll track some down and put it in the mix, eventually. Im not sure I'll pursue VV570, ...expense and availability, however I do have some VV560 ( .243 tests) but it took a long time to acquire and didn't perform like I'd hoped. Too many options..... haha... but so much fun! Keep posting folks great info here Thanks!

Ya I know Marshal kept the 270 stuff... I hope that means he comes back and caters to the 270 crowd again. Luckily I stocked up with well over a 1000 of the 165 Matrix. As far as powder I would suggest you stick with 26 since I have a super long throat that allows rl 33 and n 570 to work for me but probably wont for most others.

IMG_1920.JPG IMG_1923.JPG Well I finally got my 270 Sherman back. It was a long wait for the barrel but I'm extremely happy with the outcome. Slapped together some fireform loads with h-1000 and 140 bergers I had laying around. Hopefully get a chance to run some 170's and rl-26 tomorrow and see what it does.

Went with nosler brass for this one because everyone says Norma makes it. I like that it comes prepped but I will say, it appears to be a bit shorter. Fireformed cases average 3.498 or so. I squared them up and now they're at 3.496. From what I've read, the Norma cases come out around .015 longer and about right.

Went with nosler brass for this one because everyone says Norma makes it. I like that it comes prepped but I will say, it appears to be a bit shorter. Fireformed cases average 3.498 or so. I squared them up and now they're at 3.496. From what I've read, the Norma cases come out around .015 longer and about right.
Wow! Ya, that is unusually short. They should form at around 3.515 or so.....Rich

Got out and did a little pressure test this morning with 170 bergers and then formed the rest of my brass.
RL-26
61- 2932
62- 3017
63- 3059
64- 3107 primer a little flat
65- 3194 flatter primer but good extraction

N-570
63- 2788
64- 2862
65- 2914
66- 2958
67- 3022 no pressure signs

Looks like it'll settle in comfortably pressure wise around 3050fps. I don't use hbn and honestly don't know that I want to add a step to my processes. Seems pretty quick to me as is. I believe the smith used the same throating reamer as Idaho trecker's. It's LONG!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.