.270 AI vs .280 AI SAAMI vs .280 AI 40 degree information.

Those Tang safety Rugers are good Rifles...I use one for a "test" gun...it's on its 4th barrel. Started as a 7mm Rem Mag, then a 270 WSM, a 6-350 Rem Mag Improved and now it's a .257 Weatherby...who knows what it will be next!!![/

Yes I like them, I have a safe full of them. I've made two 35 Whelens out of 30-06s, a 7mm RemMag, .358 Winchester, a couple of .308s and two .270 Winch, all have treated me well over the years. I like the way that they balance and the way that they shoot.

I I might as well have something unique and have with a bit more powder capacity at the same time. The stumbling point that I am at presently is that I cannot find any information at all on the .280 AI 40`? I suspect that I can start at or around the .280 AI (SAAMI) load data, it's just that it would be good if I could find something a bit more concrete than that; but, this probably is what a wildcat caliber is about. I have seen P.O. Ackley America's Gunsmith book for $50, however some of the articles that I have read state that the book really doesn't have that much data in it. Can anyone tell me if there is some literature where that I can either buy or research for the original Ackley calibers. If the book has what I am looking for I will happily buy it.

Speer Wildcat manual had some of Ackley load data and showed case It's got 30-06 AI,7x57AI,257 Improved,270-257 Imroved. It give little write on each. and it has 7mmx06 as wildcat and some others. Ackley designed a 270 Ackley mag and what interesting he took 300H&H case and shorten it and put 28 def shoulder. There is something in Ackley book page 382 and it has same loading as in Speer wildcat.
This is something on it.

https://loaddata.com/Cartridge/270-Ackley-Magnum-PO-Ackley-Data/6447

If you would shoot an Ackley improved, would you shoot an Improved Ackley.lol

https://shermanwildcatcartridges.com/280-sherman

Thank you for your reply with this information. I truly did consider this caliber as a build. However I did speak with Rich about it. I am making the build on a Ruger 77, tang safety, long action (.270 Winchester donor). I actually considered that .270 Sherman over the .280 Sherman. Rich told me that the Ruger 77 action was not a viable donor because the magazine box was too short for his calibers. Thus I settled on the .280 AI wildcat. My gunsmith told me that he'd done a couple of Shermans on builds that he'd done in the past. I like the way Rugers feel, I like the tang safety where it is, and....I already had/have two donor rifles purchased. I spent months researching for a caliber, then I had to get by all of the mystique of differences between the .280AI SAAMI and the .280 Ackley Improved wildcat; what a fiasco that has been. Thus I am where I am at with this build.

In my tang safety Ruger 280AI 40 degree original Ackley I have a 24" 9 1/4 twist, original mag box, and I have shot up to a 162 ELDX. My rifle loves 140 barnes, I now shoot 145 LRX. I use Redding dies, and have had no issues fireforming 280 brass.

In my tang safety Ruger 280AI 40 degree original Ackley I have a 24" 9 1/4 twist, original mag box, and I have shot up to a 162 ELDX. My rifle loves 140 barnes, I now shoot 145 LRX. I use Redding dies, and have had no issues fireforming 280 brass.
H Ruby76, glad to find out that I am not the only crazy one here on this site. I have been looking at the Nosler AcuBond Long range 150s with the BC of .611. I haven't looked at the ELDX bullets as of yet. I suspect that the 150s ought to be right up there with the 26 inch barrel. I'm thinking that the 140-145s are the optimum bullet between muzzle velocity and knockdown energy. I like the 180s in the "06" and 165-168s in the .308. I'm thinking that the gunsmith said a 1-8, but cannot remember what we discussed. I did tell him that I my intentions were to shoot nothing over 160 grain bullets, and I left the twist rate to his discretion. The only requirement that I wanted was that the rifle shot when I got it back. Are you the person who recommended Olson, cannot remember who I have talked with and who I haven't.

H Ruby76, glad to find out that I am not the only crazy one here on this site. I have been looking at the Nosler AcuBond Long range 150s with the BC of .611. I haven't looked at the ELDX bullets as of yet. I suspect that the 150s ought to be right up there with the 26 inch barrel. I'm thinking that the 140-145s are the optimum bullet between muzzle velocity and knockdown energy. I like the 180s in the "06" and 165-168s in the .308. I'm thinking that the gunsmith said a 1-8, but cannot remember what we discussed. I did tell him that I my intentions were to shoot nothing over 160 grain bullets, and I left the twist rate to his discretion. The only requirement that I wanted was that the rifle shot when I got it back. Are you the person who recommended Olson, cannot remember who I have talked with and who I haven't.

No, I didnt recommend anyone. I had mine chambered 20 years ago, loved it ever since. 1-8 is likely fine, and "just in case" you decide to shoot heavier.

No, I didnt recommend anyone. I had mine chambered 20 years ago, loved it ever since. 1-8 is likely fine, and "just in case" you decide to shoot heavier.
I did check the letter that I sent to the gunsmith, he recommended a 1-9 twist and it is the original box on the magazine. I plan on getting some Hydroforming dies, haven't decided on a manufacturer as of yet, probably Whidden or Hornady. I'm pretty psyched about getting the rifle back to get out to the range. I am planning on a deer hunt in Maine for next November, although a Pennsylvania hunt may come available.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.