270-300 Win Mag now feasible

What was fun was at lunch I picked out a 12" round rock at 770 yards. No wind.

Let him watch on the spotting scope and I was lucky enough to demonstrate a first round hit.

That got his confidence up on the rifle for his 90 yard shot!

Sorry to be this guy but I have been getting the run around on dies for this cartridge and need to get some more info that I think you guys can help me out with. I wanted to get a set of redding bushing dies so I talked with a guy at redding and I could have sworn he directed me to graff and sons. When I talked to graff and sons they needed the part number for the dies in order to get them. well I sent an email to redding and they said that the 270-300 win mag bushing dies don't exist and that in order to get them I would have to pay for the engineering of the dies. That brings me here, now I might have just heard what I wanted to hear regarding the dies originally but at this point I just need something to make a dummy round to send to pac-nor. I am thinking a 300 win mag bushing dies set and a 270 seater of some sort BUT want to know what you guys are using to make your brass and what works best or what doesn't work. Thanks.

Pacnor's not a problem, they already have chamber reamers for it, that is where I bought my chambered barrel.

I spoke with Alex, I believe it is somewhere in these posts, at Redding.

Redding makes a fl set of 270-300 win mag dies. They are d class I think, about 140.00

I do believe you could use a 300 win mag bushing die and a 277 collet and expander. I am not sure which size, as I didn't go that route. If I was doing it now, I probably would have- when I bought my dies I was unaware of how versatile ambushing die set could be.

I make my brass by running 300 win mag brass through the Redding 270-300 win mag fly die. One pass, load and shoot. The shoulder isn't moved.

I use a 270WSM die with a spacer over the body(a 5/8 nut), then I run them through a 300WM bushing FL die with an appropriate bushing. I do it that way because the 300wm bushing die doesn't work very well for necking cases down the first time.

To make a dummy round I necked a case down with the 270wsm die then fl sized with a fl 300wm die and seated a bullet to my desired coal with a 300wm seater.

I also just got the 270-300wm die set from Redding. Pac Nor also did my rebarrel but I have to turn the necks on my brass when going from 300wm down to 270-300wm the first time or they won't chamber.

This is a thread hijack...:)

I have to blame LRH for getting me started into shooting long range. I have to blame Marshal from Matrix bullets with the 165 Matrix... RIP...

I saw that I wanted to get the 270 heavies past 2800fps...I had a standard chambered 270 Win...

Then BJD started this thread...now, I have to blame him...:)

I did not want to deal with custom dies...so I bought a cheap 270 Wby Mark V off of Gun Broker. The barrel was not happy with the 270 heavies...

Put a Benchmark barrel with a 1-9 twist on the Mark V...could not get enough COAL with the stock Wby mag box...to shoot the heavies...then the 170 Bergers came out...a shotgun would be happy with the groups...

BJD could not get the heavy 270s to fly at all in his rig...the 140s were lasers...

Next stop for me was a custom action...thanks BJD...:)

I waited a year for the Mausingfield long action...I wanted a longer COAL mag box...

ARC delivered my long action with a Benchmark barrel with a barrel bolt...

So now...The 170 Bergers have an accuracy node at 3225fps @ .3 yes .3" off...Wby standard chamber...the drops worked from 1k to over 6k altitude...to almost 900 yards.. .25 MOA
@...crap...I shoot mil...less than one click...

The 165 Matrix do well at .02" off with the same chamber...

I am happy for all your help...the pic is a forth firing with only neck sizing...the M is the Matrix 165...the rest are the 170 Berger...ES is around 10...

Thanks for the great thread BJD...

Attachments

• 270.jpg
    270.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 137
Longtooth, interesting indeed !
I have wondered, why not a 270 Wea with the 170 but I need to look into some things you have mentioned. I have a long action M700, but looks like you are benefiting from a loner action/box. What barrel length are you using?
I am trying to stay away from more Wildcats as I am thinking more in terms of my boys winding up with my rifles, so I am looking at factory cartridge capability but with fast twist barrels to take advantage of new tech bullets.
Nothing wrong with the 270-300, of course a little more performance is possible, just had to respond to your post

Long tooth 32.

I think we both learned a lot together on this project. Glad you were there to help.

So what are we going to do next?

I am working on a 30-378, and the 6.5 Prometheus- then on the lighter side I am thinking a 22-243 for my wish list.

Then I'll just enjoy what I've got- hahahaahaahaha

I certainly want to express my appreciation to all of you. Thank you very much for the information and encouragement with this project. As spring approaches and my health improves, I hope to do more testing. I have always wanted to break 1000 yards on flesh with a .277" bullet. Hopefully, this fall........

Hi guys- i have a new opportunity for you.

Daniel Smitchko from Cutting Edge Bullets has sent me some of his brand new 135gr Maximus bullets to test. These bullets require a faster than 1-10 twist. So if you have a 270-300 with a 1-8 and you would like to test some of these please pm me and ill share them-as long as ou share your data!

Thanks hope all s well

Phillip

Hi guys- i have a new opportunity for you.

Daniel Smitchko from Cutting Edge Bullets has sent me some of his brand new 135gr Maximus bullets to test. These bullets require a faster than 1-10 twist. So if you have a 270-300 with a 1-8 and you would like to test some of these please pm me and ill share them-as long as ou share your data!

Thanks hope all s well

Phillip

Any hope for us (me) shooting a 1-9 twist with a 270 Wby? It is warming up outside...

I bet, I can get close to almost 3700fps with that bullet...If I worked up a load...I can load it long with my 3.7" mag box....

How long is the bullet?

I would start with H1000 and RL26...