Is a Tikka T3 in .300PRC feasible?

teesquare

I ask the question in this manner - because I just got off the phone with Beretta.They were able confirm what I had experienced...that the factory magazine is designed to accommodate the max. SAMMI length cartridge in .300 WM.

And - sure, I have bottom metal and after market magazine that gives another 1/8th to maybe 1/4"...but I am looking at feed reliability as a potential issue as well.

Would be nice if someone designed a magazine that keeps the rounds angled such that the feed potentials are minimized....( Tho the feed ramp may require massaging too...?)

Anyone tried this level of insanity on a Tikka?

Thanks
T

You would want a CIP length magazine for the 300PRC. I would not recommend using a Tikka as the basis for a 300PRC and it's longer COAL, as I've heard even Tikka's magnum actions are a bit on the short side.

Thanks J3n- that is what Thought....but always curious to see if anyone has discovered any ...magic to make that work out. Will look for a different action and start there.

Tikka long action and magnums are both 30-06 length. I had a T3 varmint in 300WM but at rebarrelling time got it done in 30-338WM, just a touch shorter than 300WM and a really good fit for the T3 magnum magazine.

The Tikka is not going to be the ideal, there are a couple of long dbm set ups for them but I think you'll still be compromising. The 300 WSM is about the best fit for the closest performance.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.