27 Nosler

Which one is better Preferred or McGowan?
As with anything else, you will get differing opinions. I do not have hands-on experience with Preferred barrels yet, but my McGowen barrel (.257 WBY, 1:7") shoots very well with little effort in load development. I was told of poor performance with X-caliber (.264 WM, 1:7") barrels, but that, too, is performing very well. I should get my latest build with the CarbonSix (.338 wildcat. 1"8') barrel. I wanted to support small businesses/Made in Montana products, and I am happy with them.

Last edited:
So please excuse a really stupid question, but have any of you guys who used to shoot a 270 Weatherby Mag, as I still do, ever get more than 3000 fps out of the Nosler 150 Grn ABLR's??? I am wondering if it is possible to get 3050 or even 3100 fps from a 26-inch factory Weatherby barrel?? Right now, I think my load is right at 3000fps, based on my shots at LR shooting school, at an altitude of 2880 feet .

So please excuse a really stupid question, but have any of you guys who used to shoot a 270 Weatherby Mag, as I still do, ever get more than 3000 fps out of the Nosler 150 Grn ABLR's??? I am wondering if it is possible to get 3050 or even 3100 fps from a 26-inch factory Weatherby barrel?? Right now, I think my load is right at 3000fps, based on my shots at LR shooting school, at an altitude of 2880 feet .
According to my Nosler 6th ed., you should be able to propel the 150g projectiles to 3207 FPS with 70.5 IMR 7828 (max) Fed 215, WBY case, Lilja 26" 1:10" - of course, YMMV.

As with anything else, you will get differing opinions. I do not have hands-on experience with Preferred barrels yet, but my McGowen barrel (.257 WBY, 1:7") shoots very well with little effort in load development. I was told of poor performance with X-caliber (.264 WM, 1:7") barrels, but that, too, is performing very well. I should get my latest build with the CarbonSix (.338 wildcat. 1"8') barrel. I wanted to support small businesses/Made in Montana products, and I am happy with them.
Yeah I here yeah. I have a McGowan on my 22-250 ai that I had a buddy put together for me about 10 years ago. Still shoots dime size groups at 200 yards. And looking at carbon six, all it is is a carbon wrapped McGowan. So I'll get a McGowan and have my gunsmith wrap it and basically be the same thing. Lol

Yeah I here yeah. I have a McGowan on my 22-250 ai that I had a buddy put together for me about 10 years ago. Still shoots dime size groups at 200 yards.
That's always nice to know.
And looking at carbon six, all it is is a carbon wrapped McGowan. So I'll get a McGowan and have my gunsmith wrap it and basically be the same thing. Lol
Heck yeah, that's the way to go. Good luck!

BC about like the 170, but faster than the 156.....I think it would be a winner!

I can't see why there would be any issues running it in that action. I would pretty much think of it like a 26 nosler, though it's actually closer to a 28 nosler for bore diameter.....it may be a little temperamental to get a solid load, and will probably have around a 600-800 round barrel life if you treat it nicely, but once you get your load squared away......would be a lightning bolt. I have really considered building one myself.
Now Muddy....here's science that can't be denied....if you think of it like a 26 but it's actually closer to a 28 ( that's because 27 is in the middle) but if you think of it like a 28 then it could be closer to a 29.....oh hell Muddy just do a 30....( which is closer to 31)!

Now Muddy....here's science that can't be denied....if you think of it like a 26 but it's actually closer to a 28 ( that's because 27 is in the middle) but if you think of it like a 28 then it could be closer to a 29.....oh hell Muddy just do a 30....( which is closer to 31)!
In that case, might as well do a .323 because that's more that 31, but 31 is odd and 323 is part even, and almost no one shoots a 323 so you should always have bullets! So ya, don't do a 27 nosler, do an 8mm nosler because that sounds cleaner than 323 nosler ha ha

As good or better with superior penetration. We shot a Blue Wildebeest at 482 yds with a 150 BD (first generation) hit it in the high shoulder to base of the neck, the animal dropped in its tracks and the bullet passed through. On processing the spine was not hit, bullet passing through muscle only. The spinal cord must have been severely bruised and instantly dysfunctional because of the bullet passing closely underneath the spine. Video posted on UTube as Badlands150 Bulldozer vs Blue Wildebeest.
Thank you. Will check it out.

In that case, might as well do a .323 because that's more that 31, but 31 is odd and 323 is part even, and almost no one shoots a 323 so you should always have bullets! So ya, don't do a 27 nosler, do an 8mm nosler because that sounds cleaner than 323 nosler ha ha
Sorry but just not to par on the "new math"! 😂

But I was thinking how about a 7.5 TH? You know the old reliable .295 !

Last edited:
i had been looking at a preferred barrel in 7mm last week and saw lite contours and #1-#4 contours as options. checked today and they have .277 in same contours.

i was looking at tikka prefit.
They don't list a "light" contour on their website. If you're talking the sporter contours, they are absolute porkers. Look at the dimensions and weights listed on them. If you don't care about 10lbs guns it doesn't matter.
If you mountain hunt, preferred takes themselves out of the possibilities of barrels. I have one of their barrels. Nothing wrong with it, but I'd never put one on a hunting rifle.
The taperless are actually lighter than the sporters due to the sporters not having a remotely sporting contour.