264 Win Mag twist?

SteveO

I'm looking into building a 264WM. I've thought about the 26 Nosler and 6.5 X 300 Weatherby but I believe I will be satisfied with "just" the 264WM...

The plan is for this to be a mule deer rifle. I cannot see myself shooting anything lighter than 129g bullets. More likely it will be 140-143g bullets.

Is there any reason I should be looking at anything but the fastest twist I have available which is 1:8?

1:8.5 and 1:9 are also available but I believe faster is better for longer, heavier bullets. Correct?

I have a Sendero II based long range rifle in 264WM, it has a 1:9" twist, it handles 142gr ABLR bullets quite well.
My next barrel will have a 1:8" twist for the Berger VLD's that are longer than the ABLR.

There's nothing wrong with a 1:9", but, the 1:8" would be better.
My 6.5x55 had a 1:8.75" it handled ALL bullet weights.

Cheers.
gun)

SteveO,

As you can see by the responses so far, there will be a wide range of potential answers to your question.

I think that the .264 Win. Mag is a superb hunting cartridge with lots of flexibility. The only admonishment is that you should concentrate on using some of the cooler burning powders instead of the hottest for the highest velocities.

Not everyone shoots mono-metallic bullets so that will affect your choice. Lead cup and core bullets are usually shorter than the all copper or all brass bullets so the twist rate can be slowed a bit with the standard being 1:9". However, if you dabble with the Berger Match Hunting bullets you might want to consider a 1:8.7" which I use from Bartlein or a 1:8.5" which can be requested from most barrel makers. Either one will let you shoot mild loads of some of the longest bullets with a slight safety factor for stability.

My load for the 140 grain Cutting Edge mono (1.505") is mild at 3150 fps from a 26" barrel and I'm using a 1:9", but a 1:8.7 will give you a little buffer. If you step up to the 160 gr. Matrix then you should probably get a 1:8.5 for safety. On the other hand, the Sierra 160 Semi-Pointed really only requires a 1:10" because it's about a 1/4" shorter than any of the above. This again is a mild load.

Examine your potential bullet selections and let the math help you decide on the twist. If you need help with the twist rate call your barrel maker for suggestions. They will stand behind their choice.

Regards.

steveO, in case you didn't know, twist rate is tied to the bullet -not the cartridge.
In fact, everything here begins with a bullet.

steveO, in case you didn't know, twist rate is tied to the bullet -not the cartridge.
In fact, everything here begins with a bullet.

Right. I thought 129-143g .264 bullet would be specific enough?

I tend to agree that the 1 in 8" is most versatile for new builds, but there are a lot of existing rifles with 1 in 8.5 to 1 in 9" twists that will shoot 140-143 grain bullets just fine.

A lot of advice on twist and bullet stability errs on the side of caution (faster than needed).

Right. I thought 129-143g .264 bullet would be specific enough?
Have you a bullet in mind, in that range, where the maker recommends a twist other than 8 ?
I just whipped across a few bullet sites, Berger, Barnes, Sierra; 8, 8, 8.

It's conservative AND best.
Stability in itself, is in a range affected by air density, and it also affects local BC.
Sg of 1.0 is gyroscopically stable, 1.3 is marginal, 1.5+ is optimum.
Marginal shoots well enough but the bullet's BC can be affected, reducing the bullet's potential.
Optimum, and on up to near blow-ups, provides the best from bullets as far as external ballistics. I couldn't vouch for terminal ballistics.

Someone should say also that any capacity larger than 260AI is merely wasted barrel life in 26cal.
More velocity won't be viable, you'll just be burning more powder for the same.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.