.264 Win Mag opinions

Bausch

I have been doing some looking around and talking with knowledgeable people and reading tons of ballistic charts and I have come to the conclusion that I am going to get into a .264 Win Mag for long range deer hunting and target shooting. Everywhere I looked I found very few ballistics and reloading information on the 264. Most everything was for standard cheap factory ammo and the ballistics were not that great, but I cannot find any good handload information and was wondering if anyone out there has any opinions of the .264 and any information that may get me started. Thanx!

~Bausch gun)

From what I've read, don't go short on barrel length if you want to reap the benefits of that case capacity.

Check Reloadersnest.com for load data. They have a good bit of info, but always start at least 10% low. If you want to pay 19 bucks ammoguide.com is also good for load info. As far as the caliber, it is the ony 6.5 I never intend to own. It is horribly inefficient and I can put a safe but high pressure load in my 6.5-284 and come very close to a 264 win mag with 15% less powder. Not trying to change your mind, just not fond fo the cartridge. However like others said, you need a 26 inch tube at a minimum, and if you are building it, I would recommend a 28 inch, even for a hunting rifle. My dad has a 280 ackley with a 27 inch shilen that has been turned down to an ultralite taper, it is bedded nicely and on a Husqvarna action and shoots sub MOA with anything I have tried in it, but I have limited reloading time with it, maybe 8-10 loads. Point is you can get a lot of potential from a long lightweight barrel. I'd go with a medium sporter type taper. You guys will notice I haven't ordered barrels for a custom rifle so I don't know the numbers on the tapers. But I have played with a lot of custom rifles others have had built.

Luv mine, its a Rem 700 CDL SF, 68 grains of Retumbo, 140 gr Bergers,WW cases, Fed 215M primers gives me 3166fps with SD's in the single digits. Having another one built as we speak, Stiller action, Broughton 5R barrel, HS precision stock, I think it'll be a shooter, at least I hope so.
If cartridge efficiency were the criteria for owning long range rifles, I think you would have to eliminate about half of the popular long range chamberings. JMO

I agree that most long range cartridges are inefficient. The 6.5-284 is the exception to the rule in my opinion. I get 3130 with a 140 VLD with 51 grains of RL17 and a 215 primer.

I love mine. 700 sendero with some minor trigger work and a bedding job and it will shoot 1/4 MOA with amaxs. 69 gr. of h1000 will put it at 3230 FPS

Sweet!! I have seen exactly that velocity from that 6.5-284 but I was inside the danger zone of pressure levels I believe. It was listed as a safe load with a cci200 I lit it off with a Fed 215. Apparently that was a bit much. that is one difference, If I see 3200 fps I know it is time for me to back it down a bit. it will come with a sticky bolt and some seriously deminished case life. I would imagine you won't have to worry about that with the win mag. but man that thing sure likes powder!!

Get a long barrel 26" at the least and some Retumbo powder. I have a 27 3/4" Shilen on a Rem 700, it's what was left of a 28" blank. With 130 Nosler Accubond I get 3350 fps with 66.5 grs Retumbo and bug hole groups. As a paper puncher the barrel will not last long. Shoot it working up a load and check the zero every year and hunt with it and it will last you a life time.

I was actually going to get it in a 700 Sendero SFII. I really appreciate all the info and comments. That 3200-3300 range is what I was looking for with the 26" bbl and the large case, I don't mind using a lil extra powder as long as it isn't too much for the casing and barrel, which is exactly the heads up I was hoping to get. I have not heard much about the 6.5-284 and will definitely keep my options open with that as well as the 300WSM and 7STW, but as far as the 300WSM and 7STW, I wasn't looking at going quite that big yet. I have a 300RUM that works quite well for now.

Has anyone found a good load for 129gr SST for the 264. I was also looking at the 120 Amax, 95 Vmax and 90 TNT. A lil help will save lotza time and money.

Thanx to all!

I don't know if the 90 TNT will hold up under the velocity you will be pushing it from a 264 Mag. It has a mighty thin jacket. It could sling it's self apart. The V-max might be OK though. They usually will handle the high velocity pretty well. I have never tried the light bullets in my 264 mag. The lightest I have gone is the 120 Nosler BT. I was getting about 3650 fps with good accuracy with Retumbo. I decided not to use it for white tail deer which is what I use this rifle for. I have used the 120 ballistic tip at 3000 fps from my 6.5X55 Swede and on shots around 100 yards it is very destructive and usually will not exit a deer shot through the shoulders. I was afraid at 3650 fps velocity the bullet would evaporate on the hair on a close shot. I went with the 130 Accubond and after taking 4 deer with it this season from 98 to 275 yards I feel that I made the right decision.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts