.260 vs 6.5 Creedmore

To piggy back on what I said earlier about the 6.5CM having a little more usable case capacity with bullets seated to mag length in a short action than the 260, wasn't the 6.5CM also designed to work better in AR platforms as well? Not 100% on that but I believe that's what I read somewhere over the years.

I have a .260 Rem in Sako 85...got it before the big CM push. It is a 1:8 twist 22 in barrel and I get 2820 with a 142 gr Nosler Accubond LR and 44 grs RL 19, Lapua brass and CCI BR-2 primers, It is a tack driver...there is not a 6.5 CM I've seen in person that shoots better. My son has a Fierce CT Carbon Edge 6.5 CM he reloads 142 gr Nos ABLR in it with 41.5 grs of RL-17...it shoots one hole and runs at 2700 in a 20" barrel. My biz partner has a Fierce CT Carbon Edge in 6.5 CM also 20" barrel and runs the factory Superformance 143 gr, Hndy ELD-X. While it is also a tack driver I think the 2480 Fps it gets is a tad anemeic for what a 6.5 can do. So IMO target and competition shooting, deer hunting or if you don't reload, 6.5 CM. Bigger game hunting and if you're a reloader, .260 Remington. By the way for the Remy haters (I don't have one but I have shot a good many and load for a good many), you realize nearly all issue sniper rifles for US military are built on a rem 700 actions...soooo, there's that.:)

I have a .260 Rem in Sako 85...got it before the big CM push. It is a 1:8 twist 22 in barrel and I get 2820 with a 142 gr Nosler Accubond LR and 44 grs RL 19, Lapua brass and CCI BR-2 primers, It is a tack driver...there is not a 6.5 CM I've seen in person that shoots better. My son has a Fierce CT Carbon Edge 6.5 CM he reloads 142 gr Nos ABLR in it with 41.5 grs of RL-17...it shoots one hole and runs at 2700 in a 20" barrel. My biz partner has a Fierce CT Carbon Edge in 6.5 CM also 20" barrel and runs the factory Superformance 143 gr, Hndy ELD-X. While it is also a tack driver I think the 2480 Fps it gets is a tad anemeic for what a 6.5 can do. So IMO target and competition shooting, deer hunting or if you don't reload, 6.5 CM. Bigger game hunting and if you're a reloader, .260 Remington. By the way for the Remy haters (I don't have one but I have shot a good many and load for a good many), you realize nearly all issue sniper rifles for US military are built on a rem 700 actions...soooo, there's that.:)

They used to use straight 10 power optics too but even our military gets a upgrade once in a while. Stiller produces the mark13 action for military as does several other manufacturers.
Nothing at all wrong with a trued up rem 700 action but the military didnt use it because it was the best. It just done the job at the specified price point.

By the way for the Remy haters (I don't have one but I have shot a good many and load for a good many), you realize nearly all issue sniper rifles for US military are built on a rem 700 actions...soooo, there's that.:)

AFTER the armors go through them, they do not roll Rems of the shelf, the ones now don't come with any primary extraction!!

I can't argue the inherent accuracy of the CM. It finally made the top 50 list at Williamsport. Cats and dogs living together!

6.5 CM ammo is way more accurate 260 ammo....
Also, SAAMI spec for old school 260 is a 9 twist. The superior 6.5 CM SAAMI spec is an 8 twist which stabilizes heavy for caliber bullets (like the 140s) better.
The consumer has spoken. It is not the magazine articles. IMO anyways. :D
the .260 is also 8 twist they shoot the same bullets.

Wow! Almost 11 pages on which is better water or agua? Coke or Coca-Cola? Potatoe or potahtoe? Hate to say it folks, but the 6.5 Creedmore is a pig with a bow. Fancy shoulder set back, less taper...same capacity same, same , same, fricken same. I load for many of both. I know it is blasphemy, but I love both. The 260 does have a slight potential advantage, but it is within component variation. That is to say a fast creed barrel matches a slow 260 barrel. It is personal preference. From a pure performance standpoint, it's a draw. You can get Lapua brass for both and run both in a short action just fine. Slight edge to the 260 if the zombies come, you can make brass from the 308 family. So if your in the market for a 6.5, get the 6.5PRC and fogeddaboudit. Lapua will have brass any day now. No question it will outperform the other two with all bullet weights, and is still easy to shoot. Now please, can we wait at least a week before someone brings this up again?

the .260 is also 8 twist they shoot the same bullets.
SAAMI spec for the 260 Remington is a 9 twist.
Manufacturers have been producing 8 twist 260s for a few years now. BUT the spec. is a 9 twist and that is the twist Remington has used up until the last couple years.
upload_2019-12-11_16-39-7.png

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.