6.5 creedmore vs. 25-06 vs. 260 Remington?

I've shot a few coyotes with my .25-06 and 75 grain vmax bullets. Certainly not fur friendly as it leaves a football size hole but it would be my first choice if you forced me to pick just one.
You need a substantial amount of grey hair to appreciate it but I always wonder why the .270 is always left out of the conversation when those sexy 6.5's come up for discussion. A quick look at the ballistics involved might be in order...
Certainly the calibers you're choosing between will all do the job very well but I'm pretty sure Jack had it right so very long ago.

I have a 260 and a 25-06 love them both, I don't know much about the 6.5 creed but with its spreading popularity it wont be long before it is just as easy to get components for as the other two. My personal opinion is the 25-06 because of how flat it can shoot out to 350 yards with almost every bullet offered for it, (if you hand load) and there would likely be less hold over to 500 yards when compared to the 260 shooting 140's, however if you run the 100 grain a-max in the 260 it is tough to beat out to 500 yards. The only thing I don't like about my 260 is I am always fighting OACL in the mag. But if all you were going to do is punch paper one round at a time it is tough to beat. So I would look at what you would be doing with the gun most. Bench rest I would go with 6.5 Creed or 260 Rem, yotes 25-06 hands down. Just my opinion though

Ballistically, none of your choices would make an difference over the other. In power either. For yotesnout to that distance Its all the same. Availiblty and price would be your 2 concerns. I have all 3and kknow this to be true. If its for pelts and such I still go 223 but like my 243 too

If you want it for deer....Why not compare the .25-06 Ackley Improved, and the .257 Wby Mag, since they are the 2 top dogs in the 1/4-bore world.

I have had my .257 Wby since 2008, and am in the process of building a .25-06 A.I. right now.

Either of those 2 will make excellent deer rounds if you shoot the heavies, like the 110 Nosler Accubonds or 115 Berger VLD's.

you pays you money and you takes yous choice.

All are quite capable and flat with hand loads.

I have a 260 in a short action. COAL is an issue. 6.5CM should not have that issue but give up only a little. 25-06 is not a caliber I load or shoot but the structure leads me to believe COAL should not be the challenge it is with the 260.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts