.260 vs 6.5 Creedmore

IF Hornday had made the 260 they would have done 3 things.
Made ammo with more consistent quality brass
Made ACCURATE Ammo, affordable like the CM, and up to it's spec/potential
Had it set from inception with 8 twist

That might have given the 260 a much better success at launch.
On the 9 twist, I had a Sako 75 sporter, grey wolf, shot first 2 in same hole at 200 yds, 3rd opened to 1-1.25" - over and over for 3-shot groups. Yes, in 260. Using both Federal 7/08 and Federal 308 brass necked down, 130 - Either Accubonds or Bergers, over H4350. That load with Bergers shot 1/2" at 200 in a Borden action rifle with Bartlein #3 8 twist. Yes, 260s will shoot great, but I used them enough to say, there is a tighter range of what makes one run at it's potential. Again the CM and 47 will, in my experience, be easier to find accuracy. As to any speed difference, no animal will know that in the field, and any drop/drift can be handled by a few clicks.

Not the first time, nor perhaps the last that Rem will mess up what might be a good thing.

hornady makes crap brass and their bullets are bottom of the pile as well. the brass dosent last, it's to soft. peterson lapua norma all make substantially better brass. have you ever weighed hornady bullets? they are all over the place. their eld line is a step in the right direction but still falls short of matchkings or berger's. hornady is all about reinventing the wheel. which is fine. musicians do it all the time.
as far as remington has hornady, you can't compare what is done now with what was done when the 260 came out. there are so many more people that shoot med to long ranges these days than in the past it's not comparable. let alone the bullet selection we have now a days is amazing. it didnt used to be this way. i can remember when shooting a spiral point boat tail bullet was the best to be had.

Stop the insanity! If it a factory to factory rifle twist comparison, 6.5CM is greater than 260REM, with ALL bullet weights.
In a custom barreled, proper twist, both are even Steven.

1617308953499.png

hornady makes crap brass and their bullets are bottom of the pile as well. the brass dosent last, it's to soft. peterson lapua norma all make substantially better brass. have you ever weighed hornady bullets? they are all over the place. their eld line is a step in the right direction but still falls short of matchkings or berger's. hornady is all about reinventing the wheel. which is fine. musicians do it all the time.
as far as remington has hornady, you can't compare what is done now with what was done when the 260 came out. there are so many more people that shoot med to long ranges these days than in the past it's not comparable. let alone the bullet selection we have now a days is amazing. it didnt used to be this way. i can remember when shooting a spiral point boat tail bullet was the best to be had.
Please show your work, as to the crapiness of Hornady brass, if you're able too?!

Is it $1/pc good, no. Is it some steel cased quality, no. For $0.43/pc bulk avg and you get about 7-8, high pressure firings, it ain't crap.
I use Peterson, Alpha, Starline & Hornady.

Stop the insanity! If it a factory to factory rifle twist comparison, 6.5CM is greater than 260REM, with ALL bullet weights.
In a custom barreled, proper twist, both are even Steven.

View attachment 265118
Actually not with all bullet weights. The 9 twist 260 with 130s and lighter blows the doors off the Creed.

Actually not with all bullet weights. The 9 twist 260 with 130s and lighter blows the doors off the Creed.
Shooting steel or shooting game? I don't use bullet weights below 130 gr in 6.5CM. I load my 6.5 CM's to original velocities (62K PSI pressures) and they perform more than adequate in this little case, just 150-180 fps off my 6.5x284 Norma with 140's and same 26" barrel, to where the 6.5x284N gathers dust. A few more clicks of elevation is the difference @range.

I have had (4) and currently have (2) .260s. They are superior!!! If you reload and have a 1:8 twist they are awesome all mine shot 1/4" or less. I have a new Cooper Phoenix 22 that shoots in the same hole from Cooper proof. I know they proof at 47yrds, but the tech at cooper said it was the most accurate rifle that he has ever seen built at Cooper. It's Been in my safe for several years now since I got it. May sell it in the future so keey an eye out.

Attachments

• Cooper 260 Phoenix1.jpg
    Cooper 260 Phoenix1.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 80
  • Cooper 260 Phonix.jpg
    Cooper 260 Phonix.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
How many remington firearms in 260 have a 1:8 twist? I know of one, the 5r gen 2, but remington discontinued it in favor of a 6.5 creed. What a joke...big green can't even get behind their own creation.
Yeah and we all remember the same scenario with the Rem 244 / 6mm that was lost to the 243.... Seems like they might, just might learn from their own mistakes...🤷🏻‍♂️

Please show your work, as to the crapiness of Hornady brass, if you're able too?!

Is it $1/pc good, no. Is it some steel cased quality, no. For $0.43/pc bulk avg and you get about 7-8, high pressure firings, it ain't crap.
I use Peterson, Alpha, Starline & Hornady.

i've had to many hornady cases separate in the head space region compared to norma lapua and peterson. same shoulder bump and load process per brass and hornady brass will fail in a third the reloads of the other brands i mentioned. if you are going to reload the brass just a few times hornady is fine but i refuse to use hornady brass in my bench rifles. it's just to soft to last. feel free to google it. i've never seen hornady brass used on the firing line at a bench rest match. . i do use it hunting though. bc i don't care if i loose it.

Shooting steel or shooting game? I don't use bullet weights below 130 gr in 6.5CM. I load my 6.5 CM's to original velocities (62K PSI pressures) and they perform more than adequate in this little case, just 150-180 fps off my 6.5x284 Norma with 140's and same 26" barrel, to where the 6.5x284N gathers dust. A few more clicks of elevation is the difference @range.
Shooting game. The 130 Accubond, Gamechanger or Scirocco and the 125 Partition are fantastic deer/bear bullets. Admittedly I am not a long range hunter 500 yards is my limit on eating targets. I am sure there are advantages to the creed in match shooting, but hunting or competing as you stated they are a horse apiece in purpose built rifles. I shoot and love both, but I have a nostalgic bias towards the 260 I guess.

Isn't this a build variance difference. I have both in custom rifles and they are tit for tat with loads and bullets with all being equal. Marketing was better for Creedmoor and lapua was ahead on brass for the 260. I just bought a SAC 6.5PRC from the classifieds so I will see how it does. My 26 inch barrel surgeon action creedmoor is 2970fps with a 140 and my 22 inch 260 rifle is 2840fps so it's all equal I guess.

Isn't this a build variance difference. I have both in custom rifles and they are tit for tat with loads and bullets with all being equal. Marketing was better for Creedmoor and lapua was ahead on brass for the 260. I just bought a SAC 6.5PRC from the classifieds so I will see how it does. My 26 inch barrel surgeon action creedmoor is 2970fps with a 140 and my 22 inch 260 rifle is 2840fps so it's all equal I guess.
Imagine if you had the other four inches on your barrel

Agreed, they would be pretty much twins. Which is what I was trying to point out but didn't do a great job.

lol this makes me laugh. Yes the 260 would outshine the 6.5cm with handloads BUT it's not as drastic as you make it. From all the loadings ive seen the 260 gets maybe 50-100fps more than the 6.5cm....everything else being equal. How much does that truly gain you? I wouldn't use the "cant touch" wording you did unless it was smashing it at least 150fps consistently.
Anything will beat anything else with handloads. My 6.5CM beats factory loads in 22" barrels by 200-300+ fps in order to compair apples to apples you have to go handloads to handloads and look at actual case design. Just because your short action can take 3" shells doesn't mean every short action can. That's another difference. If I had a tikka in 6.5cm with a custom chamber, 26" shillen barrel and a long action magazine I could make the 6.5prc look like a big clunky V8 that gets bad gas mileage and loses to a sooped up V6!

The reason the 6.5 cm is more popular is because it was the first cartrige to have a standardized match throat diameter. (Of course you can achieve this with any caliber even the good ol 30-30 by just dropping $400 on a custom barrel) but the 6.5 cm makes the match chamber standard equipment on the $550 savage hunting rifle.
Also, the STANDARD FACTORY round for the 6.5cm is a factory MATCH GRADE round. This is different from all other calibers because others: 308, 30-06 270, 260 all have soft point hunting rounds as the standard Walmart/hardware store round to sell while Walmart did sell match ammo for the 6.5cm back when they sold ammo. While hunting ammo is also available for 6.5cm it is more the deviation than the norm.

Yeah and we all remember the same scenario with the Rem 244 / 6mm that was lost to the 243.... Seems like they might, just might learn from their own mistakes...🤷🏻‍♂️
And the 6.5 Rem Mag, they put too slow of twist barrel and built it in the 18" barrel mod 600. They made it to shoot light weight bullets, if they would have built it with a faster twist and longer barrel it would have done a lot better than it did.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.