260 vs 6.5 creedmore

QQQQQ

Looking for a good starting caliber for my kids to hunt with. I am looking at 260 rem or 6.5 creedmore calibers in particular. Used mainly to hunt mule deer. From what I have found it looks like the 260 has a little more options for reloading and the 6.5 has a better designed shoulder (don't completely understand what that means though) every thing else seems to be almost identical. will be shooting 140gn Accubonds most likely. Looking at either savage trophy Hunter, tikka t3 light, or ruger American rifles, want something lighter with not a super long tube for easier carrying for my kids. Looking for all info/opinions. Thanks

The .260, 6.5 Creedmoor, and the 6.5x55 all have their fans. When I was making the same decision a year or so ago the issue came down to supply. I have a .260 as it came in a suitable rifle, and was available. No regrets.

That's it in a nutshell.

Availability.

Rifle you want.
Loaded rounds and reloading components.

After looking into it a little more it seems the creed sounds like a better option for shooting 140gn bullets. The 260 has a little more case capacity but when shooting 140gn bullets they have to be set so far into the shoulder it takes away the extra capacity it has. The creed will also fit into short action mags as well from what I've read where the 260 will be to long(referring to 140gn again). Can anyone dispute this?

After looking into it a little more it seems the creed sounds like a better option for shooting 140gn bullets. The 260 has a little more case capacity but when shooting 140gn bullets they have to be set so far into the shoulder it takes away the extra capacity it has. The creed will also fit into short action mags as well from what I've read where the 260 will be to long(referring to 140gn again). Can anyone dispute this?

All of my 260's shoot the 140 accubonds 1/2 moa with H4831SC. The 260 is better built in an actions longer than 2.800 inches. I am not aware of the action/mag length of the Tikka if its the same as the Sako I would go with the 260. If you are set on a short action the Creedmoor is a better short action cartridge. That said there is not a noticeable difference in either cartridge.

I have switched from the 140 NAB to the 120 NBT or the 120TSX for hunting deer with my 260's. I found the 140 adequate but the deer acted like they weren't hit when shot with it. They did not travel far but IMO they are better suited to the 6.5x284 or 6.5-06 and faster cartridges.

Good luck and shoot straight

Bob

A big plus for the Creedmoor is availability or loaded ammo. The you can find the Hornady stuff in most sporting goods stores and it is quality stuff at a very good price. They have excellent hunting loads for it that shoot the 129gr SST. I sometimes think that the Hornady ammo is fueling the popularity of the Creed. But if you reload, that's not a factor.

There isn't enough of a differencertain between them to matter. Choose the 1 that sounds coolest to you

My 260 fits in AI mags and it shot the 142 smk just fine.

6.5 creed was developed for semi auto feeding, it works great in bolt guns as well.

To put it as plainly as possible.

If you are going to reload adn use a bolt gun go 260 (lapua brass), factory ammo is rare.

If you want to walk into Academy or whatever sporting goods you have and buy ammo or reload sometimes and use a semiauto, then go 6.5 Creed.

Ballistics are to close to call, 260 may be a little faster but that doesnt mean the load will shoot well at those speeds.

I just went with the 260 because of Lapua brass. Everybody will tell you H4350 is the cat's meow, but I had better luck with H4831. Cartridge length can be an issue with Bergers. The creedmoors shorter case probably does make it more functional.

Truth be told, I think the creedmoor is going to be the one to become the most commercial. Remington has a great caliber, but they are too ignorant to market it. Remington clearly doesn't see the long range trend. If I had it to do over, I would go with a creedmoor .

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.