.260 vs 6.5 Creedmore

It's the barrel twist. This is the same thing that happened half a century ago with the 243 and 244. The 244(6mm) came out in 12" twist and the 243, with a smaller capacity case came out with a 10" twist. The 243 won.

I think what was said to the Creedmore being the 260 done right is spot on, the 260 came out of a time when we were not looking for heavy for cal long range bullets in a short action, it's too long with the current trend of bullets and throating for the 260 without tricks or compromising just a titch, all of these newer chamberings for the most part are just tuned up designs to match OUR shooting trends and the platforms were are choosing nothing more IMO!

"The Creedmoor being shot by relatively new shooters".......I'd say this is one of the key statements. If you are a young adult or a teenager seeking "your" new rifle and have read any of the gun magazines in the last six or seven years you have been bombarded with Creedmoor revelations. You want something new and a 270, 308 and 30-06 are not in that category.

I pulled my first trigger in 1953. I own, among many others, two .308s, both in a chassis. Purchased a Rem 700 6.5 CM Varmint last week along with a new stock for it at the same time. I'd like to think that I am a young adult, right up until I attempt to move quickly, then reality sets in. Looking to make that one mile mark. I was leaning towards an NXS to dress it up, but who ever posted the reference to the Arken line caused me to buy the Arken 6-24. The price difference will purchase a lot of 6.5 ammunition.

Whew! A lot of the same information given in slightly different words (and sometimes not so different) to arrive at the conclusion that it all comes down to personal preference. We defend what we have, and if we have both, we get to gloat. As for me, either one, when loaded and honed to it's best self, has the capability to out shoot my aging eyes and kills the animals found it it's crosshairs equally dead. So enjoy what you have and thank God we live in a country where we have to option to own as many as we're able to and shoot as often as our planning will allow. Gibbs...

260 Rem was a complete screw up by Remington. The 260 Remington IMHO is a better cartridge than the CM. Remington Poor Marketing, SAMMI twist rate and such is all their screw up. I have two 260 Remington AR 10 with 22" 1-8 twist barrels. Marketing is what marketing does and the CM just identified the market and killed it. They are just better at target acquisition than Remington. Unless you hand load the CM is a better choice. If you have a 1-8 twit and you hand load, then 260 Rem all day long. Why? Because Remington Marketing identification and follow through suck.

Always love hearing how a cartridge can be inherently accurate.... Yep, that powder vehicle with a projectile shoved into it can be more accurate than another shape vehicle... I love gun folks.
upload_2019-12-11_8-5-43.jpeg

Attachments

• upload_2019-12-11_8-5-43.png
    upload_2019-12-11_8-5-43.png
    80.7 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
All I own is Rem 700s and I shoot LR :)

I have a 300 win and 25-06 and 338 lm, all in Remington, all sub MOA guns especially the 300 wm is 3/8" @100 yard.

I do have a Ruger perc. in a 6.5 cm (5) shots you can cover with a dime at 100 with no paper tears at the edge of the dime.

depends if you reload are just rely on factory loads.

I think what was said to the Creedmore being the 260 done right is spot on, the 260 came out of a time when we were not looking for heavy for cal long range bullets in a short action, it's too long with the current trend of bullets and throating for the 260 ....
This is the reason I chose the 6.5 CM.

The Creedmoor IS inherently more accurate than the 260 when factory chambers and twists are fed with long bullets.

That said, the two should exhibit the same accuracy for bullets weighing less than about 140 grains.

Last edited:
Always love hearing how a cartridge can be inherently accurate.... Yep, that powder vehicle with a projectile shoved into it can be more accurate than another shape vehicle... I love gun folks.

Go try to be competitive in a measured accuracy game with any old round, little design changes have dropped all previous records recently, same bullets, guns and shooters, just design change! There is something to it but I think nailing down the formula is still absolutely in the air.

In the field, energy at impact is key to a clean kill. Bullets such as the Berger Hunting product line compensate for decreased energy at long distances by opening up a sizeable amount of flesh. In my opinion and 40+ years of reloading, shooting, hunting deer, antelope, and elk: 25 & 26 caliber OK for deer sized game. Even .264 is light for elk and moose, but if you need a one rifle to do it all, then the 6.5 is the smallest that I'd go for. 270 & 7mm have taken lots of bigger critters, but I'm strictly a 30 caliber guy for the big boys. 270 is a great round for an elk/deer gun with primarily deer in your sights. However, the bullet choices are much more versatile in 7mm and 30 caliber to optimize reach and accuracy while having enough energy to make the clean kill. Being an old man now, my 300 Win Mag is my go to gun for elk and moose. 25-06, 257 Weatherby and 6.5-284 for deer.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts