.260 vs 6.5 Creedmore

inherently accurate?

Yeah. Apparently some are. Years ago Precision Shooting Magazine did an issue that explored that concept. After some great research as to why or if that might be they ended up talking about cartridges like the .308 and PPC. Seems powder volume, width and column height as well as brass dimensions did indeed tend to make some cartridges "inherently more accurate." Convinced me anyway.

Go try to be competitive in a measured accuracy game with any old round.

Exactly. Thanks for supporting my position. Now were talking about special rounds for special purposes, Or the inverse of that. the (any) "old" round or "new" isn't going to do anything without being in a chamber and squeezing the bullet out a barrel. So many variables make all these VS./BS discussions moot but entertaining none the less.

Why is the 6.5 CM much more popular than the .260 ?
On paper the .260 is better, flatter, more energy; but not as popular.

Is it because of all the magazines articles ?
I have a rem in 260 with mcmillan bench stock that is a tack driver and is my 600 yd gun ! I shoot berger 140 match with lapua brass and match primers ! Bullets in the lands !

I don't think marketing has as much to do with it as many think, the Creedmore took a long time to become popular it's almost 13 years old, it took a LOT of people running it and seeing something to get it to be worth the marketing dollars we see in the last few years. There is like one grain difference between it and the 260, if you see a performance difference it's in throating or what pressure your willing to run to, the 260 has room to get more capacity and I don't see why someone would compare a 260AI to a 6.5 Creedmore because obviously were talking a new chambering. The 260 has more room to be improved for sure and is and always has been where it is at it's best but that's a different thing!!

I think you are wrong about the effects of massive marketing campaigns. The Creedmore marketing has driven a ton of interest in the cartridge, caliber, and the sport in general. Hornady did what Remington could not. AND they are doing the same thing to the 243 win. So yea. Marketing kills

I think you are wrong about the effects of massive marketing campaigns. The Creedmore marketing has driven a ton of interest in the cartridge, caliber, and the sport in general. Hornady did what Remington could not. AND they are doing the same thing to the 243 win. So yea. Marketing kills
I think it's premature to say that "they are doing the same thing to the .243 Win.". WAY too many .243 Winchesters "on the street" already.

Remington sucks - their marketing sucks, the R&D sucks, they have no idea what long range hunters/shooters want or need. Thats why none of their 260 offerings came with a twist rate fast enough to stabilize the high BC 6.5 bullets.

Edit: to sum it all up they are idiots and they suck. The 6.5 creedmoor never would have been necessary if Remington hadn't screwed the pooch on the 260.

Remington brought out the 260 long before the long range hunting became popular. It was originally brought to market when everyone was shooting their animals at 100-300 yards, with a 270 Winchester. It was the short-action option to sell more Model 7's.

The silhouette shooting crowd picked it up for their sport, and found that when long VLD bullets were seated to fit the short magazines, they ended up with the ogives inside the case neck - which wasn't good. So, it was shortened a little bit by wildcatters, to get the case mouth in the right spot for this application. This, and a few other factors, were the set-up for the Creedmoor.

Remington could have done this, but they figured that they had bigger fish to fry with their then-new line of beltless magnum and short magnum cartridges, so Hornady picked up the ball. Their marketing team was paying attention to what the long-range crowd was doing, and steered the engineering team in a direction that gave us all the new stuff we see written about on this forum.

It seems to me that Remington was focusing on where they thought they'd find a larger market, and they probably wish that they'd gone the other way on that one. Their work with those big cartridge cases has given the wildcatters some material to work with, and the long-range shooters are cashing in on that, too. Years ago, though, it was the other way around - the wildcatters gave Remington the 25-06, 22-250, 35 Whelen, etc. We'll see how it goes for them now that they have stopped listening to the market, and are trying to dictate to the market. They are falling further behind, and Hornady has become the leader in the long-range shooting industry. Remington is still trying to be everything to everybody, rather than picking a specialty like Hornady has done. Being part of a big conglomerate of sporting companies probably makes it somewhat unlikely that they will pick a specialty and run with it.

....The 6.5 CM is not better in any way and Hornady knows this. Why do you thank they only load 130 grain bullets for 260 Rem. It's because the 260 will out shine the 6.5 CM grain for grain. Hornady designed the 6.5 CM so why would they hurt themselves. That's why they introduced the 6.5 PRC. It just mocks the 260 Rem performance. It's just a marketing thang. If you don't reload than get the 6.5 CM. But if you reload then you will be more happy with 260 Rem. I have a 260 Rem and 6.5 CM because I wanted to see what all the craze was about. Huge let down. 6.5 CM is about 250 FPS slower than my 260 Rem 140 VLD vs 140 VLD.

The 6.5 PRC will beat the 260 in performance all day. 6.5 PRC and 6.5x284 are relatively equals performance wise, and both easily beat the 6.5 CM and 260 rem. The 260 should also not beat the CM by anything close to 250 FPS if being pushed the same level with the same bullets/powders. Beat it, yes but not by 250 FPS.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.