26 Nosler Wildcats

• Thread starter Deleted member 46119
  • Start date
Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't the 7mm/26 nosler The same as gunwerks 7mm lrm? I was under the impression that they were both originally designed off of a 375 ruger case necked down to Either 6.5mm or 7mm. So all the others would be like a 338/375 ruger and so on wouldn't they?

A 26 Nosler case is a shortened Remington Ultra Mag case. The body of the case is about .200" longer than the body of a 7mm LRM case. The RUM case has about a .020" larger diameter than the Ruger case.

So is a 7mm RUM a 404 Jeffery's with a rebated case? Or is it something else? I have heard 4 different original cartridges that the 26 Nosler and 7mm lrh are based from. Which is correct?

So is a 7mm RUM a 404 Jeffery's with a rebated case? Or is it something else? I have heard 4 different original cartridges that the 26 Nosler and 7mm lrh are based from. Which is correct?

All the RUMs are based on a 404 Jeffrey (.550" body diam.) with a rebated rim. Hence, the 26 Nosler is both RUM-based and 404 Jeffrey-based.

7LRH is based on a 375 Ruger (.532" body diam.) with a full rim.

The body lengths, shoulder angles, and neck lengths are also different among these. All are needed to determine useful case capacity.

7LRH is based on a 375 Ruger (.532" body diam.) with a full rim.

Unless this is a typo and you meant 7mm LRM (Long Range Magnum)

the 7mm LRH (Long Range Hunter) is base on the 338 Norma Magnum case which is based on the 338 Lapua Magnum and has the same rim diameter at .588" ..... and not based on the 375 Ruger ....

Unless this is a typo and you meant 7mm LRM (Long Range Magnum)

the 7mm LRH (Long Range Hunter) is base on the 338 Norma Magnum case which is based on the 338 Lapua Magnum and has the same rim diameter at .588" ..... and not based on the 375 Ruger ....

Yep, I meant LRM. Never heard of the other until this thread. It must have crept into my subconscious!

My 338/26-Nosler is "done".

A Weatherby Mark V Alaskan that was rechambered from 338WM.

Now the hard part. The loads.

I made a modified case and did a damb poor job of it but it works.

Anyway, when is set it up I got a surprise I missed in the reamer spec, no free bore. Everything is jammed at a COAL of ~3.42. I won't be able to load CEBs until I get the throat stretched out a bit. Oh well, until then I will load some lighter bullets.

I made up my first loads for the 338/26-Nosler.

Neck expanded Nosler brass.
CCI 250 primer
Barnes TTSX 185s
COAL 3.4
Reloader 17, 83grains

My fps estimate was for 3180.

I made up 9. It was supposed to be 10 but the botched making of the modified case cost me one for the first test.

At the range I bore sighted, rechecked everything, set up the MagnetoSpeed and with a bit of nerves, pressed the trigger.

No drama and that's a good thing.

The chron showed 3213fps. Yeah.

I threw out 6 rounds on the chon for a average of 3218, ES of 18 and an SD of 7.

While chronning I worked the 100 yard zero and calculated the 300 zero. With 1 round left I struggled to find the steel at 300 yards with the Leupold VX-2 6-18.

Oh, did I forget to mention, it was dark. The range has lights to 100 on night shoots but beyond that it dark.

Anyway, found the steel, settled down, pressed and...

Clang.

Fred

quit screwing around and give up all the good stuff !

just acquired a donor and can't decide which cal to go with ,

maybe just gonna neck the 26 Nosler to 6.5 mm and roll with that !

Fred

That will be an easy necking project.

Fred

I don't know man. IMO it will be harder to find components and a reamer for a 6.5mm/26 Nosler than any other version.:D

I just committed to another Mark V action.I need to get rid of the non Weatherby hunting rifles.

I have a Mauser action to rechamber for 8mm/26 Nosler but haven't ordered the reamer yet.

I did receive:
30 Nosler
28 Nosler
27 Nosler
Reamers from PTG/David Kiff today.

I have a Rem 700 with a 270 take off barrel ready to go. Barrel is even loose.
I have a Rem 700 7mm Sendoro Special with brake take off barrel ready to go. It will go on the 300 RUM R700.
I have a Mark V in 308 that has already had the bolt swapped and just needs to be rechambered.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.