26 Nosler Wildcats

• Thread starter Deleted member 46119
  • Start date
Wow, this is really an impressive project. Like everybody else I can't wait to see how it all unfolds. The 284/26 is going to be impressive with the heavy bullets. My personal favorite is going to be the 338/26. That's going to be potent elk medicine!

Good luck with everything, and big kudos for sharing your work here. I know it takes time but we all appreciate it!
The 338 will be the first out of the gate. Last update from PTG is a ship date of 6/20. "It's in Mitsubishi" which I believe is the machining center was the status a couple weeks ago.

The 338 will be the first out of the gate. Last update from PTG is a ship date of 6/20. "It's in Mitsubishi" which I believe is the machining center was the status a couple weeks ago.

Exciting stuff. Have you given any thought to whether or not this 338/26 would be built up as a hunting rifle that will require a muzzle brake, or do you think it could be handled without one? I think it will be very close. In the proper weight rifle I think this cartridge could go brake-less (not a big deal either way really).

My 338 arsenal currently has a 338-300wsm, a 338 win mag, and waiting for a 338 RUM. Once you get this 338/26 tested out, it might have to join the others. My 338 win mag is nothing special, and my 338-300wsm is an ultra light pack rifle, so the 338/26 would really be the perfect gap filler between the 338wsm and the 338 Ultra, obviously performing closer to the ultra.

Maybe you have mentioned it, but have you thought about what bullet or bullets you are planning on shooting with this 338/26 build? Maybe if I have some extras in the weights you are wanting to test I can send them your way as a way of helping out since you are sharing all of this with us.

The rifle is a Weather by Mark V.

It will be a hunting rifle. My hope is no break. No particular reason. If I can make a 20 round testing session it won't get one.

It "was"an "Alaskan" whch is the Japan mfg, nickeled, plastic stock all weather version.

Currently in 338WM with the factory 24" barrel. I've put it in a "deluxe" wood stock with a thick limbsa er pad put there by a previous owner.

I will be rechambering the factory barrel to start but have a Bartlein for the future.

If you want to compare a 338-26 Nosler to something that already exists, a 340 Weatherby should be a fair comparison.

If you want to compare a 338-26 Nosler to something that already exists, a 340 Weatherby should be a fair comparison.

Ok, yes, I just looked at the 340 and you are right on. They both have nearly identical water capacities... From a design standpoint, I would choose the Nosler case with no belt, no shoulder/neck radius features and overall shorter length hands down over the weatherby. I'm not sure what pressure weatherby's run at? But from a performance standpoint it's good to compare the muzzle velocity you will generally be able to achieve, and the 340 weatherby probably is a twin. As I have not studied these Nosler cases like Jeff, I was thinking the Dakota might be a close comparison, but the 338/26 is going to outperform that. The more I learn about this 338/26, the more I like it!!!:D

Cartridge OAL is 3.650" for all.....

"shortstroke" the long 7mm, 300, 338, 375 RUM reamers to 26 Nosler case length (make dummy cartridge for headspace gauge)
cut the bottom off the RUM dies to length needed, = an inexpensive route for 26 Nosler based wildcats.....

It's an Idea , the question is ....will it work ?

left to right .....

26 Nosler 160 gr Matrix VLD Bonded
28 Nosler 180 gr Berger VLD Hunting
30 Nosler 230 gr Whiskey 3 Precision TAC-PM RBT
33 Nosler 300 gr Berger Hybrid OTM Tactical
37 Nosler 320 gr Cutting Edge MTH L04

Attachments

• 26 Nosler, 28 Nosler, 30 Nosler, 33 Nosler, 37 Nosler.jpg
    26 Nosler, 28 Nosler, 30 Nosler, 33 Nosler, 37 Nosler.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 88
The 26 Nosler brass I have holds 100 grains H2O. QuickLoad says the 375 Ruger holds 99 grains H2O. The COALS for both rounds are identical at 3.340". Looks like they are pretty close. What one can do so can the other.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.