25 Creedmoor

Anything like a 260 is going to run into Magazine Clearance issues.

Not really. I have run 147 eldm's, 140 VLD's, 140 hybrids etc. out to .005" off the lands in a repeater in my rem 700 short action in an AICS mag. You can also do it if you put a Wyatt's extended box on a rem. Or you can do it on a savage. It is pretty simple to modify any short action made to run up to 2.950" OAL or more. Anyway....back to the main point ha ha

@FEENIX but innovation that stoops as low as the creedmoor? No thanks! ;)

This new cartridge, though, in all seriousness, sounds pretty cool. I may need a new rifle after all!

Again, the great thing about America is the freedom of choice and your entitlement to an opinion. The uniqueness of our individual differences is what make our life challenging and exciting. What you do with it is entirely up to you, none of these innovations are being forced into us ... it is simply an additional choice to choose from. There are always a risks involved in innovations and not all of them are successful.

Cheers!

The best thing the Creedmoor cartridge has done is create hype about shooting. I have a brother in law who has never owned a gun. With all the hype he decided to run out and buy a 6.5 Creedmoor so he could learn to shoot out to 1000 yards. It was fun to help him break it in and sight it in. After months of practice he is ringing steal at 1K. Are there other cartridges that could do this before the Creedmoor? Of course and they have been around for years. But the hype will bring in new shooters and give our sport new blood. This in turn will hopefully make more 2A supports and protect our shooting rights. BTW I love the Creedmoor and I am glad to neck it up and down. It would of course be silly to neck it up to 338 or 375 that was a joke. I hope the Creedmoor continues to bring responsible shooters into the sport and helps shooting sports in general. JMHO

Agreed! Hype (stimulate, excite, or to agitate) is not necessarily a bad thing. :D

Cheers!

I agree with waltercrouse. Wouldn't it be cheaper to go with the 250 or 250Ai for the same ballistics as the 25 Creedmoor. 22-250 Lapua brass and factory ammo is available although just cheaper hunting rounds.

IMG_2167.JPG
Friend of mine just built a 7mm WSSM AI and a fireformed case holds 57 gr h20, necked to .257" will be about 55 gr h20

capacity reference for guys thinking about using the WSSM case

If anyone cares the 257 AI has a 61 H20 capacity
6.5 creed has a 53.5 H2O capacity
So 7.5 is the difference.

5 cases once fired and and this was the average.

Looking at nosler load data info, as they adjust capacity by bullet right, it looks like the 257 Bob AI with a 120gr. = 56.6 gr of powder vs 6.5 creed with 140 gr = 46.8 gr of powder. Obviously, the long 131 ace is going to chew up a little more capacity (probably 1-2 gr) so it looks like usable capacity difference is right there with your numbers, maybe even a little more edge to the Bob ai.

View attachment 108807 Friend of mine just built a 7mm WSSM AI and a fireformed case holds 57 gr h20, necked to .257" will be about 55 gr h20

capacity reference for guys thinking about using the WSSM case
That looks like a fat 7mm Dasher. That WSSM AI is definitely a better case design than the original WSSM that flopped. That would be a cool option for those with WSSM rifles that want to improve the 1/4-bore performance.

Looking at nosler load data info, as they adjust capacity by bullet right, it looks like the 257 Bob AI with a 120gr. = 56.6 gr of powder vs 6.5 creed with 140 gr = 46.8 gr of powder. Obviously, the long 131 ace is going to chew up a little more capacity (probably 1-2 gr) so it looks like usable capacity difference is right there with your numbers, maybe even a little more edge to the Bob ai.
But you also have to compare a 120gr bullet vs. a 140gr bullet. The heavier the bullet (despite bore diameter) will still hit pressure with less powder than a light bullet. So, I'd say that's not a real fair comparison. I would average between them if I was to guess what a .257 131gr bullet would be like in both cases... So, I'd say about 5-6 grains of useable capacity would be a fair estimate. That brings them very close to one another in performance.

Using Nosler load data wouldn't it be a better comparison to use the 100 grain bullet for both? Seems that would apples to apples it since they would both be 25 calibers at the point of comparison. If I am right that's 50.9 to the Creed and 56.6 to the Bob AI. If I am wrong that's fine I've been wrong before lol. Personally I would go off my own water test as it's something I can see and repeat. I think the 25 creed would be fun and I know the Bob AI is fun but sourcing brass isn't my favorite for the Bob.

Last edited: