25 Creedmoor

I have tracked throat erosion on 6 Dashers, 6.5x47's, and a 6SLR. .004-5" per hundred is the norm. A little less in the first 4 to 500 rds but they usually pick up. My current 6SLR (243W dimensions) has a .075" freebore. It starts at 2.820" on a new throat. After 1200rds now I'm at 2.880". I hope to get to 2000 legit 1/4 moa rounds so I'd be at 2.920" by the end.

You'll want to have a short FB on a bullet that long. I'd seat that bearing surface/ boattail junction all the way down to the neck/ shoulder junction and see what the COAL is. At 2000rds I'd expect somewhere in the neighborhood of .100" erosion. You've got a .270" neck on that CM case. I'd want at least half the neck holding the bullet by the end, so realistically you could start the FB so the Blackjack is .030" up from the neck shoulder junction when seated agaisnt the lands, that way when it's new you can jump at least .025".

I agree.

I took another pic with the baring surface about .015-020" above the neck shoulder junction. Can't post it now though as the site is moving servers. COAL was at 2.880".

You guys kill me! All the quarter bore bashing I've heard for years now we put creedmoor begins .25 and it's the coolest! Bet if you put it behind 308 it would make Winchester's version obsolete! Lmao
Maybe i'm not copying, but what did you say? Seriously, I have no idea...

I agree.

I took another pic with the baring surface about .015-020" above the neck shoulder junction. Can't post it now though as the site is moving servers. COAL was at 2.880".

IMG_6369.JPG

I remember thinking the .30 TC was as good an eastern deer round as there ever was. Trying to go toe to toe with the 308 Win was folly. At least from a bolt action sporting rifle platform. Nearly bought an Icon just to try one,but couldn't get on board with the rifle itself.

I agree 100% on this basically being a 257 Roberts AI. I have a 257 Roberts AI and its pain to find brass. You can obviously make it out of other brass but cheap Hornady brass or great Lapua brass would be awesome with a 25 creed.
Not trying to stir the pot here but a 257BobAI is nipping on the heels of a 25-06. The 257ai bob would be fairly close to a 25-284 not a 25creedmoor

More like a .250 Savage improved, it's too short to be a .257 Roberts Ackley improved which is based on the full length 7 mm Mauser case. Not the Savage length case.
Next will come the 7mm Creedmoor (or a renaming of the .280 British cartridge developed after WW II in response to the 7.62x39 and 8mm Kurtz) based on the Savage case + or - a thousandth of an inch...

Good luck

Jerry

Not trying to stir the pot here but a 257BobAI is nipping on the heels of a 25-06. The 257ai bob would be fairly close to a 25-284 not a 25creedmoor
We don't disagree on much, but this is one I must disagree with. Standard .25-06 115gr loads are in the 3,200 range, the .257 Bob AI is around 2,950... The .25 CM would be right around 3K range. And the .25-06 AI is in the 3,400 range. I'd say it's closest to the .25 CM...

More like a .250 Savage improved, it's too short to be a .257 Roberts Ackley improved which is based on the full length 7 mm Mauser case. Not the Savage length case.
Next will come the 7mm Creedmoor (or a renaming of the .280 British cartridge developed after WW II in response to the 7.62x39 and 8mm Kurtz) based on the Savage case + or - a thousandth of an inch...

Good luck

Jerry
The .280 British was developed on it's own parent case, and was not based on the Savage case at all. Only similarity is the .470" base diameter. Also, it is right at 3/4" shorter than the .257 Roberts case. The .280 British is essentially (not exactly, but for comparison sake) a 6.5 Grendel with a 7mm bullet. The .280 Brit case does have a slightly larger base diameter (.470"), and is only 0.20" longer, and the OAL is only 0.30" longer than the 6.5 Grendel (.439" base).

I wonder just how many cartridges there are that use the standard .473 bolt face and hold 40gr - 50gr of powder...more than I can count up at the moment!

Yeah, but the 257 weatherby beats all those with factory ammo and gun!
My 26" .257 Wby only beat my 26" .25-06 AI by about 50-75 FPS MV... That's compared side-by-side on the same day, with the same bullets & powder, same MSv2 chronograph. So, not by any significant amount to justify the excess throat wear, lower barrel life, increased recoil and muzzle blast... In my opinion.

And I would not call a Weatherby a quality gun or company... Also based on personal experiences.