25-300 wsm vs 25SST

Alright all, here's a few questions I'm looking to answer but I have some limitations, detailed below.

Limitations:
Game: deer, antelope, coyotes (main focus)
Action: rem model 7, magnum bolt face (300WSM donor)
Stock is already fit.
MAX RANGE: 600yds coyotes (very ocassional that range) 400 all others -- I know seems odd in Long Range, just don't want to take my chances for the games sake
Bare rifle weight 7lbs max

Questions:
1. I'm thinking one of these 2 rounds to buck wind during cold winter days. Can be 25 miles consistently and am limited days to hunt so critical I can hunt in whatever wind the days provide. Any others that may be suggested? Would like decent pelts, BUT, eliminating the darn coyote is my owners demands.

2. If using either of these two, are there any bullet recommendations? I was thinking this is an opportunity to start playing with Mono's as I haven't jumped down that rabbit hole yet...... my thoughts were to shoot same bullet for all, load for biggest and see how it performs.

3. Was thinking a #2 or #3 taper steel barrel but short barreled (22") to keep it well balanced. Am I missing anything other than a little speed? I don't want to short myself is there is a significant opportunity.

4. Twist rate for any recommended bullets? Was thinking a 1:9 but maybe I'm wrong with that.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated

what can you get components for? do you have SST or 300wsm brass? if not do you have a source?

do you have or can you get the powder either requires?

dies?

that's always been a determining factor for any caliber i want to get. so far it's a mentality that has served me well.

so to answer your questions based on my .02,

1- either one of the calibers mentioned would work just fine IMHO. Yotes aren't that hard to dispatch. also don't forget to take a peek at the 25 creedmor. i'm gonna be putting a 25 cal together in the next year or 2 and i'm gonna either go with the 25 creedmor or the 25 SST. but again, components are gonna be a big determining factor when i start everything

2- 131 BlackJacks, 133 Berger Elite hunter, 128gr hammer hunter. all have been proven to be excellent projectiles.

3- shorter barrel, less velocity. roughly and i mean roughly 25-50FPS loss/gain per and inch. but shorter barrel means better mobility, and getting hung up less in the brush. also i like my barrels to be a bit on the heavier side so anything that is .850 or higher on the muzzle end is what i go with.

choose a contour you're happy with.

4- 1:7, 1:7.25, 1:7.5. go no slower than 1:7.5. as it anything slower you'll probably run in to stability issues with the heavy stuff.

best i got for now

what can you get components for? do you have SST or 300wsm brass? if not do you have a source?

do you have or can you get the powder either requires?

dies?

that's always been a determining factor for any caliber i want to get. so far it's a mentality that has served me well.

so to answer your questions based on my .02,

1- either one of the calibers mentioned would work just fine IMHO. Yotes aren't that hard to dispatch. also don't forget to take a peek at the 25 creedmor. i'm gonna be putting a 25 cal together in the next year or 2 and i'm gonna either go with the 25 creedmor or the 25 SST. but again, components are gonna be a big determining factor when i start everything

2- 131 BlackJacks, 133 Berger Elite hunter, 128gr hammer hunter. all have been proven to be excellent projectiles.

3- shorter barrel, less velocity. roughly and i mean roughly 25-50FPS loss/gain per and inch. but shorter barrel means better mobility, and getting hung up less in the brush. also i like my barrels to be a bit on the heavier side so anything that is .850 or higher on the muzzle end is what i go with.

choose a contour you're happy with.

4- 1:7, 1:7.25, 1:7.5. go no slower than 1:7.5. as it anything slower you'll probably run in to stability issues with the heavy stuff.

best i got for now

Good questions--

If I go the 25 route, I'll have to find bullets (current stock 0)-- rest I have-- powders, primers, etc. Was previously shooting a bunch, job past 8 yrs has held me back considerably but afforded me the opportunity to stock some components away. The SST brass/dies are the only thing I don't have if I go that route. Going WSM route I have tons of brass, but, just making sure I wasn't going to pass on a caliber that may have had better characteristics or capabilities for the intended use.

My only initial reasoning of thinking of going this route was something more fur friendly than an elk gun. Maybe it doesn't matter, just never had an opportunity to shoot a yore with one. All other game are probable given my wife's pleasure of shooting my model 7s (she has 3 already) and makes for a great hunting rifle for her if she decides to steal mine.

Unfortunately the 25 Creed would require a bolt swap so I'll have to pass on that for now.

Good questions--

If I go the 25 route, I'll have to find bullets (current stock 0)-- rest I have-- powders, primers, etc. Was previously shooting a bunch, job past 8 yrs has held me back considerably but afforded me the opportunity to stock some components away. The SST brass/dies are the only thing I don't have if I go that route. Going WSM route I have tons of brass, but, just making sure I wasn't going to pass on a caliber that may have had better characteristics or capabilities for the intended use.

My only initial reasoning of thinking of going this route was something more fur friendly than an elk gun. Maybe it doesn't matter, just never had an opportunity to shoot a yore with one. All other game are probable given my wife's pleasure of shooting my model 7s (she has 3 already) and makes for a great hunting rifle for her if she decides to steal mine.

Unfortunately the 25 Creed would require a bolt swap so I'll have to pass on that for now.
The 25 Cal. route is interesting and there are lots of the 135's available at the moment. My biggest concern would be the length of the Model 7 donor action that you have. I dont see a bullet that is that long working through a magazine.

So are you good with single shot?

Go with the 25 WSM, you already have brass which is hard to find. Redding has the dies. Get a 1-10 twist, you do not need those heavy bullets for what you are doing. 100 grainers will do any thing you want to do.

The 25 Cal. route is interesting and there are lots of the 135's available at the moment. My biggest concern would be the length of the Model 7 donor action that you have. I dont see a bullet that is that long working through a magazine.

So are you good with single shot?
Pardon my ignorance,
Is the model 7 any shorter then a standard 700 short action purely speaking action length and msg length? If no, then blackjack rents reamers specifically designed to use the 131's at short action lengths. 25 saum is a popular one with them

I had a early 80's model 7 7mm-08 at one time. I believe the action is 1/2" shorter. Only one scope mount screw hole in the rear bridge. I am not sure about the internal magazine length? it may be the same as a SA but i am not sure if you have the option to run a Wyatt extended mag box.
According to the internet the later model model sevens have 2 holes in the rear receiver bridge? It used to use a different trigger than a 700 SA.

I am not aware of Blackjack renting reamers, the have spec'd them and sold them on their website.

Last edited:
Thanks for the conversation guys.

Sounds like maybe I should just use my 280AI? Been shooting a 195 Grain but think that's just too big for yotes. Guess I'll have to put some time into finding a combination.
I generally hunt coyotes with .17, .20 or .22 caliber except when I am hunting a coyote derby then I use whatever I need depending on conditions I killed 16 in a derby a few years ago all with 300 RUM because it was so windy and any dead coyote is a good coyote some calibers just spread the coyotes out a little more than others...

If you are shooting Mono's go fast twist 1:7 - 1:7.5 and shoot what ever weigh mono bullet you want. The problem then becomes cup and core bullets you over spin them add speed and they tend to come apart. Im having a 1:7 twist 257 WTBY being built right now. Im gonna test that theory with some 100 gr hammers. I will say this I talked to Steve at Hammer bullets and Im running 52gr hammers in my 22 Creedmoor fast and I only say fast because my chrono doesnt read reliably over 4K fps.