Jumping in - 25sst

The smith that chambers it can spin it on the lathe and finish it with some sandpaper or abrasive. Many smiths do this to get a uniform appearance on their rifles. Takes a few minutes.

It's a piece of steel, outside appearance is far less than important to the inside. Your smith can clean everything up with some emery cloth once he chucks it into the lathe.

That's what I thought, thanks!

I have a 24" steel l barrel from Bartlein and I'm waiting for an identical profile CarbonSix barrel to get finished. Hopefully the XLR chassis won't be far behind. It will all look great together with my Surgeon 591 action. I'll be posting the build and results.

Well, I haven't posted an updated in over a year, but that's about how long it took to get my 25sst up and running.

I shipped all of my parts for the barreled action to the smith in Nov 2020, got it back Feb 2021....and then because of typical life "busyness" I didn't get it mounted in the stock and scoped up and sighted in until mid Sept. I guess one of the big reasons is because I'm new to reloading and I was also still building out my reloading bench and furnishing it with all the tools and supplies.

So as an update....here is my complete rifle build with a pic of my last group I shot three days ago, and my son's first buck shot just yesterday with it.

Rifle:
*All barreled action work done by Shawn Thomason with Diamond T Rifle Shop in Craigmont, ID.
*Tikka T3x SS action
*WTO switch lug installed
*24" ss bartlein barrel, 3b contour, 7.5" twist, chambered in 25sst, bead blasted
*Factory T3x varmint stock Custom painted by myself. Turned out better than it looks in the pic. I've had several people think it was either factory made or professionally done.
*Energetic Armament Vox S suppressor (shown), also a 3 port mini mag Muscle Brake (not shown in pic)
*Mountain Tactical bottom metal
*Mountain Tactical db magazine
*Mountain tactical trigger spring
*Lumley Arms bolt handle and CF knob
*Additional 6.5 prc barrel that the smith rechambered from the factory 6.5 creedmoor barrel to use with the WTO switch lug
*Scope right now is just an extra Nikkon Prostaff 5 I had sitting on the shelf. It will get upgraded to something else.
*10lbs 2ozs as pictured with scope suppressor and sling.

Load:
I've only worked up one "light" load because I knew my 11yr old son would be using it so wanted something on the lighter recoil end. Load is 131gr BJ bullets, 56grs of RL26, WLR primers, 25sst Sherman Adg brass, 2.87 coal, 3000 fps. Pictured is my last 3 shot group three days ago before we went out muley hunting: .30 moa at 130 yards.

Results:
As posted on the meat pole thread, the rifle got its first on-game action when my son shot his first buck at 175 yds with this setup. Buck was quarting away right to left, complete pass through from back of ribs to behind the opposite shoulder, part of the copper jacket found underneath hide on far side. Buck went 75 yards before going down, but good blood trail....surprised it got that far.

So far I'm very happy with this rifle and performance. Tomorrow it will be heading with us on the elk hunt. I think this load setup will work just fine for my son on elk out to the ranges I'll let him shoot...250ish max.

Attachments

• 20211013_113503.jpg
    20211013_113503.jpg
    881.9 KB · Views: 101
  • shot_1634147205677.jpg
    shot_1634147205677.jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 99
  • 937.jpeg
    937.jpeg
    135.8 KB · Views: 113
Great build and WAY TO GO for you and your son.

Those are the memories that will stick forever, and a very special build for the occasion.

I wonder how it would perform with a 20-22 inch barrel.
I shoot one in a 22" barrel it's a screamer and deer/bear/elk hammer. Great accuracy and velocity in the 100-110gr solids and doesn't lose much at all with the 131-135 bullets. Reslly cool round