25-300 wsm vs 25SST

JBDekes

Alright all, here's a few questions I'm looking to answer but I have some limitations, detailed below.

Limitations:
Game: deer, antelope, coyotes (main focus)
Action: rem model 7, magnum bolt face (300WSM donor)
Stock is already fit.
MAX RANGE: 600yds coyotes (very ocassional that range) 400 all others -- I know seems odd in Long Range, just don't want to take my chances for the games sake
Bare rifle weight 7lbs max

Questions:
1. I'm thinking one of these 2 rounds to buck wind during cold winter days. Can be 25 miles consistently and am limited days to hunt so critical I can hunt in whatever wind the days provide. Any others that may be suggested? Would like decent pelts, BUT, eliminating the darn coyote is my owners demands.

2. If using either of these two, are there any bullet recommendations? I was thinking this is an opportunity to start playing with Mono's as I haven't jumped down that rabbit hole yet...... my thoughts were to shoot same bullet for all, load for biggest and see how it performs.

3. Was thinking a #2 or #3 taper steel barrel but short barreled (22") to keep it well balanced. Am I missing anything other than a little speed? I don't want to short myself is there is a significant opportunity.

4. Twist rate for any recommended bullets? Was thinking a 1:9 but maybe I'm wrong with that.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated

Twist rate depends on the bullet, if you want to shoot any the new 130+ grain high BC stuff, you'll likely want 7.5tw. The 25sst holds right at 70-71gr water, the wsm will be around 78gr. I'd to SST unless you already have bushing dies and components for the wsm.

Thanks High drum.

I have the dies, etc for 300WSM, just thinking outside box a little on next one.

Thought about doing a 6mm round as well, components a plenty in my woods for those for some reason. Maybe it's not the flashy cals like everyone else has?

Anyways, I'll keep thinking this through, but don't know if I really need the 133+ stuff unless you think it's really necessary.

Thanks High drum.

I have the dies, etc for 300WSM, just thinking outside box a little on next one.

Thought about doing a 6mm round as well, components a plenty in my woods for those for some reason. Maybe it's not the flashy cals like everyone else has?

Anyways, I'll keep thinking this through, but don't know if I really need the 133+ stuff unless you think it's really necessary.
As @highdrum noted, the barrel twist depends on the bullets you will use regardless of which route you go (.25-300 WSM vs. .25 SST). The choice between the two chambering boils down to personal preference and how much you are willing and able to do the necessary work with the brass. I have 1:7" on my .257 WBTY to propel the 133 Bergers primarily. I have some Berger 133s (I might get some 135s too), and thanks to a very dear friend/brother, I also have BJ 131s, 115 NBTs, and 110 Sierra game changers to try.

Like you, I will be exploring monolithic bullets; I have the high BC 117 Cayugas (https://patriotvalleyarms.com/flm-257-117gr-cayuga-hunting-bullets-50ct/) and will be ordering the 110 Badlands SB2 (https://badlandsprecision.com/product/257-110gr-super-bulldozer-2/). I am also considering 110 GSCs (http://www.gscustomusa.com/257100HV054.html) and Peregrine PlainsMaster offerings (https://peregrinemonolithics.com/plainsmaster/). We all have plenty of choices in high BC monolithic bullets nowadays. You will also get others' personal preferences/recommendations on this matter. Good luck!

B.C isn't everything in wind, I know you asked about 25 cals but if I was gonna build something specifically to buck wind I would go 30 or 338 heavy bullet.

Extracted from Berger's website ...

"For hunters, retained velocity is an important metric because of how bullet expansion relies on impact velocity. The higher the impact velocity is with a game animal, the more lethal the bullet is. Retained velocity is also important as it relates to Kinetic Energy (KE). A higher BC means more retained velocity and KE at impact, so in this way, BC is actually an important terminal ballistic measure. All else equal, a bullet with a higher BC will put more energy on target than a lower BC bullet."

(SOURCE: https://bergerbullets.com/nobsbc/bc-and-performance/)

ADDED!

I have a great 121 Hammer Hunter load for my 25SST at 3414fps.
I couldn't get the 110 Super Bulldozer to shoot acceptably in it. Probably would have been fine for shots 500 and in though.
I have not tried the Cayuga.

But at $1+/ea, they are nearly 2/3x the cost of Berger or Blackjack. When you shoot a lot, that adds up quickly. For a hunting rifle, no big deal. But for a double duty steel/hunter, that can be a deciding factor.

Plus, BCs are somewhat/substantially lower.
131 BJ Ace G7 .333
135 LR Hyb G7 .334
133 Elite G7 .315 (advertized)
115 VLD G7 .247
121 HH G7 .238
128 HH G7 .244
117 Cayuga G7 .282
110 SB G7 .292

Now, a .257 Wby build does not sound like a dual purpose build.

But there are people who do not like mono bullets.

For me? Monos work great for moderate distance shots on game. But stretching it out, I want a high BC cup/core bullet. For wind as much as impact velocity.

Last edited:
Bigger is better in wind there is no doudt, ask the guys who are know migrating from there 6mm's to 30 cals in 1000 BR.

Probably don't need the highest BC bullet to shoot game at 400 yds. But don't limit yourself on barrel twist. Go fast so you can shoot any bullet you want, from a 131 BJ to a 128 HH. I went with a 1-7.25" twist in my 25-284. Shoots the 131 BJ great.

I don't know about the mono bullets but they generally require a faster twist. The 130+ bullets need 1:7.5-1:7 twist barrels. The 131's blackjacks are killer on whitetail!!

I used to use Sierra 90gr blitzkings out of my way, they were fast…really fast lol, often they wouldn't even exit coyotes, just blow up insides, but as others said weight is king in the wind, a 180gr 7mm from sst or wsm would be extremely awesome in the wind

Thanks for the conversation guys.

Sounds like maybe I should just use my 280AI? Been shooting a 195 Grain but think that's just too big for yotes. Guess I'll have to put some time into finding a combination.

Recent Posts