25.06 Remington @ 6-700 yards

yotehunter73

I am looking to try my 25.06 out to 6-700 yards. I have concern for hunting with it at those distances. First is the 100 grain Barnes XBT that I am currently using. the bullet has performed great for me in the past out to 475 yards on a deer. Does anyone have any information it this bullets performance out near 700 on Antelope or Deer?

gun)

I would try some 108grn JLKs at 3300fps but I doubt you will get that with anything less than a 26" 10 twist and you will likely have to hit bone for expansion, the barnes will not open at the speeds you will have at that distance. Your getting into the boundaries of a 257wby or 25-06AI with 115 nosler BTs at 3400fps+.

I shot a 25-06 for about 25 years and I have NO doubt that it is a deer and antelope killer at 700 yards with almost any fairly high b.c. bullet......Rich

I've done 700 with a .25-06 using the Sierra 117 grain SPBT bullet and got decent expansion with it on deer. Not perfect mind you but it did open up and was in and out with a quarter size hole going out. Took out the heart and left the deer drt. I have had better accuracy with the Berger 115 at that range but it didn't open up as well on antelope or didn't seem to. Just my experience with it. Didn't call the wind as well and hit a bit farther back than I wanted. Took a good bit to catch up with it.

Know your yardage learn your drop and be really good with judging the wind and shoot a 117 Sierra Game King and put it in the vitals and they will die quickly. I have not tried them myself but others say the 115 Berger VLD works really well at long ranges. Like with anything bullet placement is the key. The 115 to 117 gr bullet starting 3000 fps or so will only be going between 1600 and 1700 fps on average with between 800 and 700 foot pounds of energy at 700 yards and the wind will really play havoc with them.

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong I wasn't saying you couldn't do it, but it can be inhumane and unreliable. If you can run a 115 NBT up to 3150-3200fps that'll leave you with 1840-1870fps at 700yards that's fine for a nosler BT it'll still open but be careful you have a good chance of wounding something and not finding it. The 115 berger will be moving about 25fps faster at 700 but has a thicker jacket an may not be reliable, I mentioned the 108 JLK because you can move it faster, it uses the same kind of jacket as the berger and has a higher BC than either 115grn, started at 3300 you should be around 2040-2060fps at 700yrds it will still open fairly decent.

At that range you MAY experience penciling with the 100TSX & 25-06, if you would like to keep this bullet style, I would recommend the 100 TTSX hold on the animals shoulder & BANG....FLOP end of story. The polymer tip will initiate expansion at lower velocity.

There were several recorded events (years ago) regarding the .257 Ferguson (sp) which is similar to the .257 STW pushing the 100TSX @ ~4000fps; anyway there were several recorded instances of the 100TSX showing 100% broadside penetration on BUFFALO (american). So i'm pretty sure it'll make it through the shoulder of North American big game! :D

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.