Youth - 260 Rem or 25.06??

When my son was 9 he got his first blacktail(and a nutria) with 2506.... couple months later a Roosevelt cow with 260......at the rock pit or the range he shot both equally well..and most times better then I did..even though I built the handloads for each....he hasn't touched a rifle since he got his first rocky elk with his 2506 at 300yds..quartered to..110ab just inside front shoulder taking out the heart and lodging just inside behind opposite shoulder...dropped on the spot.......
Teach him to shoot to absorb the recoil with the rifles and he will be fine with either caliber......then have a huge bucket of 22s ready for plinking......
Hopefully not hitting on a touchy subject but Why hasn't he touched a rifle since?

Hopefully not hitting on a touchy subject but Why hasn't he touched a rifle since?
No problem.....
Divorced....he lived with mom....and resentment for me leaving.....hes only talked to me when I drove out to see him....has never initiated conversations with me...and seldom if ever answers......
So....i guess it's good he is staying away from guns with the way some kids are......but he's was a heck of a shot with the rifles....and learned to blast clays with his 28ga shotgun...
Always competitive to dad....was fun.....

I started my son with a 260 when he was 12. It's killed a lot of whitetails, including a 150 class buck. Never needed a second shot. 20 years later, it's his only deer rifle. While the 6.5 was not popular at the the time of purchase, it sure is now with lots of options for young shooters.

@Country Bumpkin

So, what did you get him?
For now it's a wood-stocked (cut down) savage .243 that my Wife shot her first antelope with. It's going to work just fine.

My ego wanted me to buy him how own rifle. What I really wanted to do was start with a 25.06 and then be able to buy him another barrel and a nicer stock some day as a birthday and HS graduation gift so that he'd have a semi-custom going into adulthood.

There's still time to do that I suppose.

We are going shooting this morning after he finishes his "field day" for hunter Ed. Taking the .243 to see how he does.

260 all the way.. Load lite 120grs to start with, then lead him down that path of loading his own with the satisfaction of good kill with his loads. MAN, THAT WILL BE A PICTURE. If you get a 260, I have some factory lite loads ill give u (2-3 boxes). So keep this msg handy.

I'm probably #30 with my 260 recommendation. I went with a 243 for my daughter and wish I did a 260. I built my son a 260 and just didn't think I needed two if them. Wish I had built her one also. The 243 is great but much more options with the 260. Great gun for about anything Deer size or larger in most cases.

For now it's a wood-stocked (cut down) savage .243 that my Wife shot her first antelope with. It's going to work just fine.

My ego wanted me to buy him how own rifle. What I really wanted to do was start with a 25.06 and then be able to buy him another barrel and a nicer stock some day as a birthday and HS graduation gift so that he'd have a semi-custom going into adulthood.

We are going shooting this morning after he finishes his "field day" for hunter Ed. Taking the .243 to see how he does.

I started my son with an NEF .243 at 9. He was a bigger kid (he's now 6-5, 250 at age 18) but not huge and I didn't want to rush him into a caliber he wasn't ready for. Two years later, he moved to a .270 with RL Federals and took his first two deer.

My personal deer rifle is a M48 in .260. I had hunted deer for 40+yrs with .30-06. I finally realized that I didn't need that much power for WT.

I will add that a .243 is perfectly capable of taking deer and I think it is probably just about perfect for kids <10YO, or older kids who are smaller-framed. Most kids by age 12 are probably capable of handling a non-magnum 6.5 caliber. I have a bevy of great neices/nephews, and I have a Ruger .243 set up for them as they age into deer hunting at the farm.

As the title suggests, which would you choose for a youth cartridge? I've found a savage in either option.

He's almost 9 and can technically hunt big game in two years when he's 10. He's made a very mature decision in asking for his first "big game" rifle for his birthday this year, in lieu of toys (I want to reward that). He wants time to practice.

My long term plan is for this to be converted into something with more oomph as he grows. I like the modularity of Savage. Big plans for an upgraded CF stock, premium barrel and quality scope.

With these two choices, assuming he will primarily be hunting mulies... what is your pick?originally I was going to get him a .243 but can't seem to find one.

Eventually he will get to hunt elk with me but I'm hesitant to say that I'd let him use either of these on an elk (but possibly under ideal circumstances).
I'd say either one would suit you fine. On the short actions I'd research a detachable mag model. Either factory or ACIS type. Off the top of my head I know the factory DM SA can seat out quite long, but I don't know the OAL. You might be able to use a straight 284 win with 180's for elk later on. A fast twist 25-06 would through some of the heavy 25 cal bullets in the mix. Or just barrel to a 280 rem or 280 AI. Sure a 7-08 would work too, I really like it's numbers too. But there just no arguing that a properly set up 284 win, 280 rem, or 280 AI would give you more range. Whether you need it is another good question.

Having kids at one time where this was a familiar and practical question and now having grand children needing the same tool, experience is money. Some will say if going 243, may as well go 260. Then there's if your going 260, why not go 6.5-284 etc, etc, etc. Well, IMO, the .260 fits about dead center of the .243 and the 6.5-284/284 option. Sure the 284 offers heavier options down the road but when the OP asks for a gun for a 9 year old, the decision is for their current stature. The .260 offers 100-156 grain bullets taking it into what the 284 can offer in mid weight bullets with less powder and less recoil. Also less performance but that's just what you get in a youth size cartridge. It is a cartridge that can and is used for all North American game. Kinda like that youth bow that goes from 18-28" draw and 25-55 lbs draw weight. They can grow into it real easy. After a young adult, rebarrel it to a SA magnum if desired.

A 243 win is a great cartridge! Very useful for deer and varmints. My buddy hunts up in Sumpter with his 308 Win for elk though he has an arsenal of rifles. His go to is his 308 win with 165 Partition and a range limit of 300 yards. He's taken some respectable elk with that set up. Search on here for 7-08 for elk and you'll find a ton of threads. Sounds like you're off to a great start!

260. When he gets comfortable and/or you are ready to rebarrel, rechamber to 260AI.

For now you can load the 260 with 109 or 123 Absolute Hammers and have full confidence in smoking pretty much anything up to large mule deer confidently. When you rebarrel, go with a 7 or 7.5 twist and you can run the 129 Absolute Hammer for a little more weight if desired.