Build or Buy 260 Rem

farpiece

I'm looking to start shooting 260 rem, and leaning towards a savage 12 lrp. I've found a NIB for 1k. It has 26 inch barrel, twist 1:8, and comes in at 11 lbs. my question is, can I build a better gun for the same money?

I'm looking to start shooting 260 rem, and leaning towards a savage 12 lrp. I've found a NIB for 1k. It has 26 inch barrel, twist 1:8, and comes in at 11 lbs. my question is, can I build a better gun for the same money?

Shooting AT what? Deer....milk jugs.....targets??

I had Bugholes put mine together for me. A cleaned up 700 action....Brux barrel...stuffed it into a factory VLS stock I got from E-Bay...and slapped a big Zeiss scope on it. Im proud as hell at it and it shoots GOOD too.

Oh! The answer to your question is NO! But you can build a hell of a lot BETTER rifle for a small amount more

If you have the means, money, and time to wait for the smith to build it.....I say go build anyday of the week.

Some factory bought rifles shoot 1-hole (I happen to have quite a few of them). But as far as smoothness, flawless, and custom touches, nothing beats a custom built rifle, done by a very knowledgeable smith.

I don't have a donor 700 receiver, my 700's are a long action 7mm and a 243 I bought for my daughter to shoot. A trued up rem looks like $300 for the smith, and probably that much again for the action. Don't really like Remington's trigger, so there's $200, barrel, what $300-400. Stock, hmmm I really need adjustable cheek piece as I like 50 mm scopes, figure $200. Then the smith another 300-400, right? I'm I far off? Wish I had 5k laying around, I'd get Kirby Allen to build me one.

Mostly a range gun, but I get bored not shooting at something that moves.Ha, and we have a lot of pigs in Texas.

If you can find a 700 action for $300....But 2. LOL I can barely find them for under $400 for used pull-offs. I can buy a complete 700 for $379.99 from Academy Sports and then scrap the barrel & stock, and have a brand new 700 donor action for under $400. I'm debating on doing that myself for my .280AI build.

Yea Mudeunner, it's ridiculous. That 243 a bought for my daughter was 325 at Academy here in Texas. I've been hitting gun shows, pawn shops, everything. It's just crazy right now.

Yeah, they wanted to ban ARs and AKs, so everyone decided to magically start getting into bolt guns.......Friggin ****es me off.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts