Youth - 260 Rem or 25.06??

I bought my daughter a 2506 when she was 12 and cut the stock down to fit her .She killed her first deer with it that year and since then four other kids have killed their first year with that rifle . I don't know if the 260 is any better but the 25 06 has done good for us so far

As the title suggests, which would you choose for a youth cartridge? I've found a savage in either option.

He's almost 9 and can technically hunt big game in two years when he's 10. He's made a very mature decision in asking for his first "big game" rifle for his birthday this year, in lieu of toys (I want to reward that). He wants time to practice.

My long term plan is for this to be converted into something with more oomph as he grows. I like the modularity of Savage. Big plans for an upgraded CF stock, premium barrel and quality scope.

With these two choices, assuming he will primarily be hunting mulies... what is your pick?originally I was going to get him a .243 but can't seem to find one.

Eventually he will get to hunt elk with me but I'm hesitant to say that I'd let him use either of these on an elk (but possibly under ideal circumstances).
Have you thought about a 7-08? If not in your cards than I would def go 260 Rem. I take elk with mine. I would do moose as well. Good luck on your decision and your boys decision as well. It will be good for him to practice for a while on a larger caliber rifle. I started my 11 year old step daughter with a 243, 260, and a 7-08. She shot all of them and liked them all. She was very small framed girl. Hope this helps.

As the title suggests, which would you choose for a youth cartridge? I've found a savage in either option.

He's almost 9 and can technically hunt big game in two years when he's 10. He's made a very mature decision in asking for his first "big game" rifle for his birthday this year, in lieu of toys (I want to reward that). He wants time to practice.

My long term plan is for this to be converted into something with more oomph as he grows. I like the modularity of Savage. Big plans for an upgraded CF stock, premium barrel and quality scope.

With these two choices, assuming he will primarily be hunting mulies... what is your pick?originally I was going to get him a .243 but can't seem to find one.

Eventually he will get to hunt elk with me but I'm hesitant to say that I'd let him use either of these on an elk (but possibly under ideal circumstances).
I see 260 Rem on the shelf at 3 different sporting goods stores , haven't seen 243, or 25/06 or 270

My son started shooting a braked 6.5cr (basically the same round as a 260) at 9 and has killed three deer with it and can shoot it forever at the range. I agree with those saying the muzzle blast can be worse than the kick as far as a flinch. He still to this day shoots at the range with orange foam plugs and over the ear muffs.

He has had essentially no recoil issues and can shoot well. Would it be the same with a bigger gun? Maybe, but I the 6.5cr is more than capable on deer and antelope and I don't want him to be recoil shy or develop a flinch early. Those can be hard to cure and/or cause a kid to lose interest. It's all about making positive impressions early.

If reloading, 6.5 mm has better bullet selection than 25 cal, short action, a little less recoil, etc.
I just got my 12 y/o his first deer rifle in 7-08 for those same reasons. I just thought it would be more versatile for him in the long run over the .260. Those two plus 6.5 CM were the options. If you don't reload, 6.5 CM would be excellent as well.

I beg to differ with your assessment on the statement that recoil is "one of the top things that turns kids off to the sport." While recoil may turn a kid off to one particular caliber/rifle, It has been my experience that a kid that likes, or wants, to hunt is more likely turned off to the sport by peer pressure from other kids and adults. Starting him/her out with a .243 vs. a .260 may well be a great idea, but keeping him around others that are hunters, fishermen and outdoors people will keep him/her in the hunting game. Just sayin'.
Yes, we need to nurture enthusiasm for the sport by being knowledgeable of all the conservation programs funded by firearm purchases, and we need to share that knowledge. We hunters have long been the trailblazers for outdoor and wildlife conservation. Harvesting wildlife with sound shooting practices is much more humane that seeing an animal eaten alive by natural predators. We have earned the right to stand tall and proud of what our hunting and shooting sports have accomplished. Case in point, many African species would be extinct already if not for he economic value that US and European hunters bring to those species.

Screen-Shot-01-03-21-at-07-04-PM.png

Yes, we need to nurture enthusiasm for the sport by being knowledgeable of all the conservation programs funded by firearm purchases, and we need to share that knowledge. We hunters have long been the trailblazers for outdoor and wildlife conservation. Harvesting wildlife with sound shooting practices is much more humane that seeing an animal eaten alive by natural predators. We have earned the right to stand tall and proud of what our hunting and shooting sports have accomplished. Case in point, many African species would be extinct already if not for he economic value that US and European hunters bring to those species.
Without American and European hunters, Africans would have turned all their animals into "bush meat" by this time. But then again, if it had not been for us, natural selection would have kept the populations in check. Natural selection apparently worked very well at one time. But getting back to the point, in today's world it takes hunters to make hunters, and without hunters does anyone here ever wonder who will pay for the care and management of our wildlife. I do not think it will be the gun-hating snowflakes.

While I like the 260, I would consider the future as to what cartridge you would be going to that has a little more "oomph". 25-06 will be a long action whereas the 260 will be a short action. Same bolt face. I guess the future cartridge selection would likely make the current selection clearer.
I'm with tiny Tim on this. While I'd prefer the.260 but as you stated in the future will be elk hunting. So the long action might come in handy for that. You can also change the bolt head out for a magnum on savages, at least I can on mine.

I would go with the Remington 7mm-08. It will shoot both deer and Elk, in fact a bunch of people say it is their best deer rifle. It will handle bullets up to 170 grain for elk.
Thank you, I'm ignorant on all of the various savage models. Is the action the same on all of their various models (does the Axis have the 111 action)?