25.06 Folks

Cool. 100 fps is 100 fps. Can't ever complain about that. That's exactly what I was guessing in my head, too, based on your .280 Sherman and the .280 AI we've discussed in the past.

Yeah, these modern powders sure have helped to close the cartridge gap between all case sizes and capacities. The biggest one I've witnessed personally in my experiences is closing the gap between the '06-based cartridges and the .300/.375 H&H based magnums. Especially with improved case designs like your's that gain the absolute max capabilities out of well-established SAAMI cartridges, so brass is cheap and easy to form, but it performs as if you've stepped it up to the magnum realm.

Amen!

I used to race motocross growing up. Funny how folks who share the same interests, have had similar past interests.

I've had this same conversation with guys before. I also used to race motocross.

Now I ride a Yamaha Raptor because I got my wife and sons ATV's also. I'm in my mid 30's now and more controlled (most of the time). We went out riding on Saturday and the state DNR must have just groomed the trails. It's a rare treat to have no whoops to contend with. There is something inside of me. I just can't go slow if I have the opportunity to go fast.

Driving home Saturday I just kept thinking, "Why the heck do you risk so much riding so fast all the time. You have a family that depends on you." But logic doesn't rule when you have that go-fast button at your right hand or right foot. :)

I've noticed that one of my sons has that same "go fast" DNA and one does not. And I call it DNA, because they were honestly born like that. They've both been exposed to the same types of fun toys. At the end of the day, they both enjoy firearms and ATV'ing, but in their own ways I guess.

I have owned 3 25-06s and have killed hundreds of white tail deer with the caliber. It is my favorite deer caliber. I used to do crop control and shot deer with everything and nothing out does the 25-06 inside 500 yards in my experience. Most any 100 to 120 gr bullet will BANG FLOP a deer if you put it in or exit a shoulder. Flat shooting, accurate, light recoil, virtually no trailing up of a shot deer. It don't get any better. I usually shoot 117 Sierra Pro Hunters with one of the 4350s or 4831s which ever one the rifle likes. If I only had a 25-06 and went after elk it would be loaded with either a 115 Nosler Partition or 120 Speer Grand Slam. I like the Grand Slam best. It is one tough bullet.

I have two of them currently - the first is a first-year production model with over 3500 rounds down the pipe. It's in an ADL configuration. In the late 70's I had it re-stocked. In the mid-80's I gave it to my Dad when his 270 crapped out on him. It's been a one-shot killer since day one. Longest shot was 637 yards on a hill country doe. I've taken more than 200 deer with it, adding in the one's my Dad took. I also took 4 elk with it - two spike bulls and 2 cows. My cousins in Oregon referred to it as a 'South Texas Rabbit Gun'. After taking the two bulls, they made sure I was bringing that rifle up to hunt.

The second one is one that I picked up the donor from a pawn shop. Re-barreled it with a Douglas and have rocked more than 2500 rounds through it. This one is in a BDL set-up and both have stocks from Fajen. This one has 'only' taken a bit over 100 whitetails, too many hogs to number and a few coyotes.

Currently, both are shooting the 110 AB's using 7977 powder and WLR primers. The blond goes out the pipe just under 3100 and the brunette is a tad faster at 3150. Both print around .5".

I have two of them currently - the first is a first-year production model with over 3500 rounds down the pipe. It's in an ADL configuration. In the late 70's I had it re-stocked. In the mid-80's I gave it to my Dad when his 270 crapped out on him. It's been a one-shot killer since day one. Longest shot was 637 yards on a hill country doe. I've taken more than 200 deer with it, adding in the one's my Dad took. I also took 4 elk with it - two spike bulls and 2 cows. My cousins in Oregon referred to it as a 'South Texas Rabbit Gun'. After taking the two bulls, they made sure I was bringing that rifle up to hunt.

The second one is one that I picked up the donor from a pawn shop. Re-barreled it with a Douglas and have rocked more than 2500 rounds through it. This one is in a BDL set-up and both have stocks from Fajen. This one has 'only' taken a bit over 100 whitetails, too many hogs to number and a few coyotes.

Currently, both are shooting the 110 AB's using 7977 powder and WLR primers. The blond goes out the pipe just under 3100 and the brunette is a tad faster at 3150. Both print around .5".

3500 rounds and still having accuracy is way more than I assumed a 25-06 would do. That's awesome.

And by the way, those are both very good looking rifles.

Beautiful Rifles!

I,ve got two 25/06. One is a model 1500 S & W and the other is a model 1200 Parker Hale heavy barrel. Both are very accurate with the 117 Sierra and imr 4831. Use them mostly for deer and coyote. Longest shot on deer was appx 375 yds with the S & W.

Yeah, the blond is about due for a new barrel. I'm rather amazed that I still get that accuracy out of it. I've been chasing the lands on that one for the better part of 15 years. With the 110's the COALTO touching the lands is right at 3.4". I load them .15 off the lands so they are still at 'factory' OAL. Still, hate to mess with a good thing. The blond is a bit temperamental though.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts