25.06 Chasing accuracy

Kiowa Cowboy

I have been hunting with factory ammo for 30 years. I use a Sako A7 22.in 25.06. I used to use 100 gr. Corelokts almost exclusively. But I have not been able to find them in recent years and the Hornaday Whitetail has performed great. Over the years the gun has shot factory ammo to less than 1 inch at 100 yds. Sometimes .75 inch. I have shot most of the factory loads.

Currently, I use the Hornaday whitetail ammo. 117 gr. spire point. Below are a couple of 5-shot groups with the spire points. I recently tried the Hornaday SST performance load in 117 grain, also. One big difference between the two rounds is the stated velocity. The Hornaday whitetail is approx. 2990 and the SST is 3110. With SST the 2 second and third shots open up from the first and move the right about 2 inches. The first is high right and the second is low right.

Any idea what is causing the difference in groups with the same grain bullet? It is the difference in velocity the reason? Is it the 22 in barrel?

I am chasing accuracy for the first time. :) Just curious what others have learned. If you have a favorite 25.06 load lay it on me. I want to start reloading. I have all the components saved except for primers. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_2602.jpg
    IMG_2602.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_2528.jpg
    IMG_2528.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 28
That is the purpose of hand loading. Find what works! When you find what components give you the best performance consistently that's the LOAD for that particular gun. Why some aren't working is not worth thinking about IMO.

Is that a 1" orange dot?
5 rounds?

Go hunting already!! ;) :D
Yes. It is a 1 inch dot. I the gun always shoots certain ammo really well. I am just trying to learn what affects accuracy from one round to another. I probably won't figure it out until I start reloading. Both Hornaday loads are 117 grains, but the accuracy is certainly different!

That is the purpose of hand loading. Find what works! When you find what components give you the best performance consistently that's the LOAD for that particular gun. Why some aren't working is not worth thinking about IMO.
I am sure you are right. I hope to start handloading soon. I need to find primers.

Over the years the gun has shot factory ammo to less than 1 inch at 100 yds. Sometimes .75 inch. I have shot most of the factory loads.

While there might be a dozen or more variables which affect groups, the condition of your barrel, throat, freebore and crown can be the first things we examine. Trying to guess what the differences are by remote and digitally is a by guess and by gosh process.

You or your gunsmith might want to take a look at the interior of your barrel including the crown to see if there might be a problem lurking there. It could be as simple as a new crown.

Otherwise it's testing and analysis.

:)