25.06 or a 30.06 with a muzzle break?

hawk4974

I have an old Remington 700 that I want to customize and since I'm going to re-barrel the rifle anyway, was thinking of going down to a 25.06 from a 30.06 for recoil purposes. I'm hoping that my 2 year old little girl will want to go hunting with me some day and I want to teach her accuracy first. I've shot the 25.06 caliber before and it was super smooth to me. The 30.06 would be a better round though if she wanted to go for elk so I would put a muzzle break on it, yet I don't want to hunt next to a muzzle break so you see my dilemma.

Next, I was curious about a 7mm set-up as well. I've wanted a 7mm for some time now but just haven't pulled the trigger. What 7mm cartridge would be an easy replacement considering the .06 bolt face? I've heard the 280 Remington or the 280 AI but like I said earlier, I want a reduction in recoil.

Lastly, I want to make this an ultra light rifle (6lbs or less if I can). Who would have a good lightweight stock and barrel? Even if I went to a 25.06 I may want a muzzle break to get the recoil I want it.

Go with the 25-06 you will not be sorry. I have killed hundreds of white tail deer as a control hunter with about everything from a stick through a 45-70 and the 25-06 is my favorite. It shoots flat, accurate, light on recoil and it is just plain drop them in their tracks deadly. You really need at least a 24" barrel and 26" is much better for the 25-06. I have a Rem 700 with a Shilen SS 26" #6 in a H&S Precision full bed stock that is my favorite. If you are trying to make a light rifle you may want to take a look at the 257 Roberts. It will work better with a shorter 22" barrel and will be slightly less recoil but it is still a deer killer.

I don't know as I've heard of the 25.06 AI.... I'll need to look that one up. I was hoping you'd respond Mud.
Sorry, I should have elaborated a little bit more. I was talking about the .25-06 Ackley Improved 40* Shoulder. Mine is a ballistic masterpiece. I can shoot 115 Berger VLD's at speeds matching my .257 Weatherby. But the Weatherby requires about 10-15 grains MORE powder to do so. And brass for the Wby is insanely expesive, compared to picking up cheap .270 Win brass to make .25-06 AI brass out of.

Like RT2506 said, there is virtually no recoil. They are a smooth shooting caliber. They are fast, flat, and hit very hard for such a small projectile.

I haven't shot any deer yet with my .25-06 AI, as it got built after deer season, earlier this year. But hopefully I will be knocking some down this upcoming season with it.

I don't know the 25-06 so I'd go with the positive comments of users of this chambering and versions. Someday I'll get to making a load for my 257Wby but it's not the same.

I can comment on going light and youth loading: IMO going light is a good goal.

6lb is a tough nut to crack. Add that it is a long action and it gets harder to reach. I'm not saying you can't but everything is a compromise. Don't beat your self up if you don't make it. Light cost more $$$ Go for it...

IMO For a light rifle, a brake is a good idea. EOS.

For your youth, good on ya. Start em young. The IMR TrailBoss reduced loads guidelines work. I've tried it on 243 to 30-06 even did a 270 Wby. While I have not made one for a 25-06 I am positive you will be able to make up something for your young one.

When you get this going, please, please show and tell.

If you're looking for a great rifle for your kids to shoot, even up to when they're teens, the 6mm Remington, or 7mm-08 Remington.

I shot a 7mm-08 growing up, and still have it to this day. I don't use it much, as I use my 7mm RM's for deer hunting, but it's still there in the safe for a rainy day. :cool:

I don't know if you reload but if you do I would go with the 30-06. There is so much you can do with reloading the 30-06, I had to go to a lighter bullet in my 30-06 Browning A Bolt 2 because of a shoulder injury and the recoil is like a light 25-06. And if you don't reload you can buy the managed recoil factory loads for the 30-06. If your going to go Elk hunting some day with your young one with that rifle you'll want something a little more than a 25-06. :cool:

I like one shot kills where possible and prefer to do all my hunting before I shoot.
Elmer Keith

I don't know if you reload but if you do I would go with the 30-06. There is so much you can do with reloading the 30-06, I had to go to a lighter bullet in my 30-06 Browning A Bolt 2 because of a shoulder injury and the recoil is like a light 25-06. And if you don't reload you can buy the managed recoil factory loads for the 30-06. If your going to go Elk hunting some day with your young one with that rifle you'll want something a little more than a 25-06. :cool:

I like one shot kills where possible and prefer to do all my hunting before I shoot.
Elmer Keith

+1! There are plenty of muzzle brakes in the market that can reduce the felt recoil of the .30-06 loads down to that of a .243's (or comparable). You can also go the "improved" route if you want.

Good luck and happy safe shooting/hunting with your daughter.

Last edited:
While out shooting especially while hunting the situation WILL happen when your daughter will not be able to use ear protection or will not have it in place just right and one shot with a break and she most likely will not what to shoot or hunt ever again. She will have the BEEEEEEEEEEEEE in her ears for life. Even with proper ear protection the concussion from some breaks can mess with you and you really don't want to be beside someone who is shooting a break. Just some experiences I have faced over the years.

I'm in the 25-06 camp. My youngest son started out on a Browning Abolt w/brake which just sucked him into shooting steel out to 500 like a moth to a bug zapper. It was so pleasant to shoot he wanted to go to range and shoot with me everytime I went.
Your worrying about game to cartridge capabilities way before you need to. Make it enjoyable and pleasant before ya worry about other things. She'll be covered from varmits to big deer and Elk with in reason w/120 partitions if it means that much to ya in caliber selection.
Just my thoughts on it,
Gene

As for tough bullets for the 25-06 I did some testing while doing crop damage control on deer for a few years. The old Speer 120 Grand Slam is one tough bullet, accurate also. Only bullet I ever recovered was from a BIG buck shot at only 30 yards from me in the chest. Bullet was still really moving on impact, 3000 fps muzzle. I found the bullet against the smashed ball socket of the right ham. Bullet weight was 87 grs and a text book mushroom. Sounds like if you put it in the bowler room of an elk you will need a sharp knife and folks to help you tote it home. :D

Hi.
I noticed you are in Arizona. Is a Suppressor an option available to you?
We use them extensively in UK. They curb recoil just like a brake as well as noise and blast.

Brit.

I've read the whole thread, and as noted I have to give you two thumbs up to thinking ahead to your young girl. However, as a Dad of two teenage girls (13,15) who has worked on getting them to shoot I'll throw out a couple of thoughts.

First, I would highly recommend thinking about how you're going to progress her with firearms. I suspect it will start with 22LR, but from there the recoil tolerance of each child can really send you in two different directions. My older daughter doesn't mind it at all, and can shoot a .243Win with no problems. I would not hesitate to give her one of my .270Win chambered rifles if she wanted to go for game larger than a deer. The younger one doesn't like recoil at all, and for now shoots a .223Rem chambered youth size Savage Axis, shooting at targets and pumpkins.

Next, you will likely need a shorter stock at least to start if not for her to always use. So, for the rifle you plan on building you might need two stocks.

Also, if you are building a 6 pound-ish rifle, the recoil even from a 25-06 will likely be more than she will want to shoot for many years. Lighter weight equals more recoil, even from what we full sized men think of as smaller, lighter shooting calibers.

If it were me, I'd build the rifle you have for myself to use, and think small for your daughter to start with and then work up from there. If in 20 years you've worked her up to being able to shoot this 25-06, then great. If not, you have something in between that you've developed together for her.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.