Hunt with Muzzle Break or not?

Bandit19

I have a 300 Wby. that has a factory installed Muzzle Break/Thread protector.
I do like the way it shoots off the bench with it on, less recoil less muzzle jump but the recoil doesn't bother me and I understand about the benefits
of less muzzle jump. But I hate the extra 2 inches length while hunting (walking through thickests and such) just seems to long to be a hunting rifle.
Anyone else debated this? I will probably hunt without a muzzle brake. I hunt some thick stuff here in the Southeast if I hunted out West I think I might use one. Any thoughts?

When I first heard about Weatherby coming out with the Accumark models, I believe it was the mid 90's or so, I told the gun shop guy that I dealt with at the time I wanted the first 300wby Accumark he got it in. As luck would have it the first Accumark in 300Wby he got in did not have the Accubrake. I still have that same 300 and have hunted with it for many years and there has never been a time I regretted it NOT having the accubrake or any muzzle brake for that matter. If I shot it alot I'm sure I would feel differently.

if i am in a thicket expecting a short shot i carry my 6 pound 30-06 mtn rifle that kicks a lot. the 7mm mag adl is the middle weight does not have a brake but i prefer a brake . the sendero is heavy and has a brake. brake a magnum i say.

if i am in a thicket expecting a short shot i carry my 6 pound 30-06 mtn rifle that kicks a lot. the 7mm mag adl is the middle weight does not have a brake but i prefer a brake . the sendero is heavy and has a brake. brake a magnum i say.

I here what your saying. Where I hunt our thickets could be next to a 400yd.
greenfield so the 300wby. mag. is good to have. The main reason for the 300wby. for me is a quick ethical kill with zero tracking. I hunt whitetale and
a shoulder shot with a 300wby. kills them quick right where they stand. I do have a 30/30 with iron sights and a .270 I use hog hunting. Thanks for the help I think because of the type of area I hunt I am not going to use a muzzle brake. Now when my kids get out of high school and I go out West to hunt Elk and Goats I will probably screw it on. Thanks again!

If you can manage the recoil w/o the brake fine, the main reason I brake my magnums if for sighting my hits at extended ranges which shouldn't be a problem in the "thick stuff". Just make sure you verify your point of impact changes (if any) while shooting with and w/o the brake & have fun.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.