cleaning barrel with a muzzle break

I used Wipe-Out foaming cleaner. Restored a T/C Hunter Bbl Contender from 3" to 1.5" groups at 100yd. The amount of copper in the brake was insane, but once I got the crown/brake clean it was all good.

I used Wipe-Out foaming cleaner. Restored a T/C Hunter Bbl Contender from 3" to 1.5" groups at 100yd. The amount of copper in the brake was insane, but once I got the crown/brake clean it was all good.

A brake is very slightly oversized relative to the bore. How can it get copper fouling?

I just cleaned my 460 rifle and did the normal cleaning and then took the brake off and used my Sonic cleaner to finish it off. It came out looking like new and shinny inside. I recommend the cleaning with the brake left on to protect the crown from having the jag or brush being drug over the edge of the crown, (The bore hole in the brake acts like a bore savor because it should be .015 to ,020 over the bore and lines the brush or jag up with bore before entering the barrel bore).

I don't understand why anyone would say that you shouldn't remove it occasionally and clean the threads and re lubricate with anti seize. good threads will make up timed every time, and if anti seize is used thread wear is non existent. I know a few shooters that place a line up mark on the bottom of the brake to barrel connection to aide in timing ported brakes.

As to the question of copper inside the brake that Is not experiencing bullet strike, the copper has a vapor from the pressure that will over time coat the brake if it is not cleaned. you normally don't see it because of the carbon fouling from the powder. But with a clean burning powder and a good bore scope you will sometimes see the copper where the gas enters the brake ports on the inside, especially if the rifle is fired in rapid succession and the brake heats up.

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
A brake is very slightly oversized relative to the bore. How can it get copper fouling?
That's what I thought. I don't have a bore scope to verify, but there may be something about the bore/crown that was causing it to throw "shavings"(?) into the brake, affecting the round as it exited? This is all very speculative. Perhaps the bore itself was left with fouling from my previous cleanings? I tend to doubt this, since before this I used Sweets until there was no evidence of copper. Perhaps I was just pushing garbage down the bore which accumulated in the brake. I tend to doubt this also, since one of the final steps in my cleaning process was to blast the bore and brake with one of the spray degreaser cleaners. Could it be that this phenomenon of copper being blasted out at the muzzle (if it actually exists) is a normal thing, common to all firearms? Wiser folk than I may know about it. All I know is what I observed, though that is purely subjective.

I kind of cheated. I hung the action from a hook in the ceiling, immersed the muzzle to the end of the Break and used my ultrasonic cleaner with kerosene or thinner. run it for about 30 minutes brush and repeat if necessary.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.