260 rem or 308 win

I have a 260 in a Savage LRP, I shoot the 140s and I am very happy with it, I agree with the former response, that you will learn regardless of your caliber.

I spent a considerable time researching the "best " caliber but after alot of consideration, I believed the 260 was a good compromise between being an efficient cartridge to shoot, accuracy, and excellent ballistics. There are other caliber choices out there that have better ballistics, but you may burn your barrel out before you find a nice load , or are just too expensive to shoot.

I consistency shoot out to 700-800 yards sub MOA, nothing record setting mind you but impressive none the less, considering wind and mirage (where I live) we always have one or the other or both,, that calber wont do you wrong, and the savage platform will perform well.

What kind of optics are you thinking of putting on your rig ?

Scott

Thanks for your input all. I am on a budget; new dad. I now have a new meaning for the phrase "disposable income"; it means buying diapers, wipes and such. I am going to go with the Sav. in 260. As far as optics, I have my eye on a Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 FFP ERB-1MOA. I have read nothing but rave reviews on this scope. I own 2 Vortex scopes and both are outstanding.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.