280 Rem or 308 Win????

Kevin R

I have a choice, both in a X Bolt either a 280 or 308

It would be a back up rifle for my elk hunt to my 338 and also used for mule Deer and white tail.

What would be a good choice?

I do reload.

Thanks

Kevin.

280 has awful nice ballistics. 308 will have a lot more ammo obviously, but if you won't need factory stuff anyway, I'd go 280.

I would go 280, got more punch and better SD and BC with bullets. Shoot 140gr. Or 160gr. NoslerAB- hard to beat and will get better velocity than the 308.
FE:D

While the 280 does have good ballistics, I will never, ever be without a 308. My primary hunting rifle is a 308 and I am in the process of building a heavy in it as well. It is so efficient and accurate that it is irreplaceable. Easy availability of surplus ammo also provides for an affordable route to a stockpile of ammunition.

I have a choice, both in a X Bolt either a 280 or 308

It would be a back up rifle for my elk hunt to my 338 and also used for mule Deer and white tail.

What would be a good choice?

I do reload.

Thanks

Kevin.

Man is that a loaded( pardon the pun), question . I have a love affair with both. As a back up gun on a elk hunt, either one fit the bill. By the way, the rifle you picked is a good one. You could load either with 168's, and nothing would walk away from that. As a lover of both cartridges, you could almost flip a coin as far as performance, but you have to admit, the .280 is Sexy! Good brass is no problem with either. Have fun deciding. That's the fun part!

7 STW

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts