.243 win

For deer sized game 400yds is about it.

My first "deer rifle" was a remington .243. I thought it was the greatest thing on earth at the time.

Then I grew up.

Good answer WildRose, that made me laugh. I hunted for a lot of years & killed a good bit of game with the little pipsqueak known also as the .243Win. It was the only rifle I had (gift from the grand dad) & the only one I needed :D. That was 14 yrs ago, I still have that action, now chambered in 6mm AI.. with the proper bullet & a good amount of practice, I would have no problem smacking another Wy Mulie anywhere inside 500yds.

It is a great round for kids & ladies who may not care for recoil... it allows for more rounds down range, with which comes confidence & understanding of what it will & won't do.. but that's beside the point.

I have also grown up to bigger & vastly more powerful chamberings, but I still have at least 3- 6mm bores in the safe... gun)

Remember, a solid hit with a lesser caliber is better than a poor miss from a big one!

Not a 243 but 6.br

107 SMK @2850

Kills fine has it's limit, not my first choice on a high $ paid hunt. Have taken deer between 4-500 numerous times and beyond but i like it best out to 400. Two years ago I didn't expect to shoot long on the last day of deer season and left the 300wsm at home. As luck would have it:rolleyes: a nice 8pt stepped out at a little over 500 hit him head on and he only went about 50 yards. Damage looked like a much larger cal.

I shot 2 antelope with mine this year using the 105 amax. one at 90 yards and one at 580 yards. Both animals dropped on the spot. 50 cent sized exit both times. Devastating wound channel. my brother in law used my gun last year and shot another antelope at 603 yards with the same results. With good shot placement I don't think there is a deer on the planet that wouldn't die quickly from a 243 shot under 450 yards. My buddy's mother has used hers for mule deer and elk for years and years, but she doesn't shoot long range. I know there is a huge difference between large deer and antelope but even if the bullet didn't exit nothing could survive the damage Ive seen with these antelope. Now if you make a bad shot, it would be better to have a 338 cal bullet. :)

Good answer WildRose, that made me laugh. I hunted for a lot of years & killed a good bit of game with the little pipsqueak known also as the .243Win. It was the only rifle I had (gift from the grand dad) & the only one I needed :D. That was 14 yrs ago, I still have that action, now chambered in 6mm AI.. with the proper bullet & a good amount of practice, I would have no problem smacking another Wy Mulie anywhere inside 500yds.

It is a great round for kids & ladies who may not care for recoil... it allows for more rounds down range, with which comes confidence & understanding of what it will & won't do.. but that's beside the point.

I have also grown up to bigger & vastly more powerful chamberings, but I still have at least 3- 6mm bores in the safe... gun)

Remember, a solid hit with a lesser caliber is better than a poor miss from a big one!
You've probably seen me say this before but I'll repeat it.

Shot placement and bullet selection are by far the factors I put the most weight behind.

However all calibers have their limits.

On my AR build I seriously considered the .243, but in the end went with the .260 due to better long range ballistics and higher energy.

Personally if I wanted one gun to to everything with at 600yds or less it would probably be the .260.

Whether it's varmints, deer, hogs etc it's just a great all around caliber, but it does require precise shot placement on the bigger critters at extended ranges.

WildRose

You'll get no argument from me in regarding that! I actually have an AR in .243 lol... although is does more dust collecting than anything:rolleyes:

The .260 is a great cartridge, hopefully you didn't think I was taking a shot at you, that wasn't the intent.

I just wanted to let the OP know how underrated that caliber actually is & how well it's served me. For 600 & in, I'll stick with the 6-284 :D

WildRose

You'll get no argument from me in regarding that! I actually have an AR in .243 lol... although is does more dust collecting than anything:rolleyes:

The .260 is a great cartridge, hopefully you didn't think I was taking a shot at you, that wasn't the intent.

I just wanted to let the OP know how underrated that caliber actually is & how well it's served me. For 600 & in, I'll stick with the 6-284 :D
Didn't take it that way at all my friend.

A couple years ago when sighting in at the Casper, Wy shooting range, I discovered that my 7 Dakota had mysteriously lost its zero. I don't often travel with a backup rifle but I had my 243 AI with me.

Over the next 2 days I had one shot kills on two different antelope. One at 450 yds and one at 625 yds.

On a broadside mule deer at those yardages I wouldn't hesitate to take the shot with a 243.

Oh -- 115 Berger VLD at 3000 fps if I remember right.

I am surprised no one has thrown the 25-06 out there. I think it fits the bill a little better for a varmint/deer rig vs. a .243 only because of killing energy for the deer, but still allows the shooter some lighter bullet choices for yotes and other vermin.

If it was to be a deer only rig the .260 is hard to beat.

Jon

Hmm.. something doesn't sound right here...:rolleyes:

Would you really do that for me? & for free!! :D

I've had that thing for 2 or 3 years, I think i've put a whopping 40rounds through it...gun) almost got it warm.... once.

I'm going to defend the "baby" cartridge, the was a video on here about 9 or 10 months ago of an 11 year old girl dropping a whitetail in its tracks at 720 yards with 115 bergers at somewhere around 2800fps from a 6x47 lapua, so a 243 or 243ai with 105 bergers at 3050 or 3200 or the same with 115 bergers at 2900 or 3100 is actually pretty shocking what they are capable of. I'm not recommending that anyone try this just for grins but a 243ai with 115 bergers is capable of dropping a 200# whitetail at 1000yrds energy and velocity wise. So start the bashing, I can't wait!

. I'm not recommending that anyone try this just for grins but a 243ai with 115 bergers is capable of dropping a 200# whitetail at 1000yrds energy and velocity wise. So start the bashing, I can't wait!

In all honesty there is no reason for anyone to bash. The .243 can take a deer at 1k. Most LR shooters would agree however its not a good idea. There is the exception of "that guy with the .243". by "that guy" I mean a person that is dead nuts accurate with his rifle and knows for sure that bullet is going into the pocket, so much so that he doesnt even see the need for margin for error (AKA bigger bullet). But that being said the OP is asking advise on max. effective range for the caliber, meaning that he probably isnt a long time LR shooter, at least not yet...

I'm going to defend the "baby" cartridge, the was a video on here about 9 or 10 months ago of an 11 year old girl dropping a whitetail in its tracks at 720 yards with 115 bergers at somewhere around 2800fps from a 6x47 lapua, so a 243 or 243ai with 105 bergers at 3050 or 3200 or the same with 115 bergers at 2900 or 3100 is actually pretty shocking what they are capable of. I'm not recommending that anyone try this just for grins but a 243ai with 115 bergers is capable of dropping a 200# whitetail at 1000yrds energy and velocity wise. So start the bashing, I can't wait!

Not seeing it and having shot deer at that distance with a BR, I would have to believe it was a CNS shot. Other than that you wont see DRT shot at 700+ with a 6br starting out at 2850.

Just my .02 from experience not speculation.

Thanks for the info. I do not consider my self a longrange shooter but hope to be one. Just looking for the right caliber to do it with.
Thanks again you guys are a wealth of information

what about the 308?

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.