.243 win

Thanks for the info. I do not consider my self a longrange shooter but hope to be one. Just looking for the right caliber to do it with.
Thanks again you guys are a wealth of information

what about the 308?
For deer sized game the .260 and .308 are much better options.

Start with one of them and when you get proficient you can move up to the 300 WM or 300 Rum.

The .260 and .308 are also very economical to shoot whether you are buying factory, having ammo custom loaded, or handloading your own ammo.

I don't know said it but fyi a 6x47 is just a tid bit more powerful than a 6br, and it was a spine shot. Point is the same thing I always point if everything else is ideal the effective range is ( YOUR SKILL LEVEL.). If you want the flattest shooting,, hardest hitting cartridge in that case family the 260ai takes that, if you want the cheapest to shoot with respectable killing power to 700 yards you will enjoy the 308, if you want the lightest recoiling cartridge with distance the 243 is great, the 7mm-08 is the odd one out but does pretty decent with 140grn range of bullets with decent distance and slightly less recoil than the 308, don't even consider a 338 federal for long range, not enough case to push the big popular 338 bullets but is a good chambering for brush or up close elk, bear, or moose with 10 shots in an ar.

This might change your mind about what a 243 can do??

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hY0w1c-gf18&feature=player_embedded&noredirect=1]Kassandra Cow elk 688yds.mp4 - YouTube[/ame]

Nice spine shot / CNS folded up like a mouse trap, doesnt tell anything.

Looks to me that it tells us a 243 still has enough juice at 688 yards to punch a 105 VLD through the vitals of an elk.

Kind of puts to rest the notion that it isn't enough for deer.........at least out to 688 yards!:D

with a CNS/spine shot a 22-250 can. It doesnt mean it should. Just becuase its on TV doesnt mean it should set a precedent for us. That shot looked preyyt far back to me too, if it wouldnt have hit the CNS I bet they would have found that elk.

Sorry to get a little of topic.

I am surprised no one has thrown the 25-06 out there. I think it fits the bill a little better for a varmint/deer rig vs. a .243 only because of killing energy for the deer, but still allows the shooter some lighter bullet choices for yotes and other vermin.

If it was to be a deer only rig the .260 is hard to beat.

Jon

I've used the 223/223AI/22-250 on deer with very good "luck" out to decent ranges (300+) I've used the 243/243AI/25-06AI to even further ranges. It's still all about the bullets. I know this is an apples to oranges comparison, but my 243AI/105VLDs at 3200 is just about equal, and starts to pass my 25-06AI/100NBT at 3475 by the 300 yd line. It has less drift, less drop, more retained speed/energy from there and only gets better as the ranges get longer.

A better comparison is the 115VLD at 3300 in the 25-06AI compared to the 243AI/105VLD. If you run the numbers they are for all intents and purposes just about even at all ranges.

Now I'm not arguing with you, I'm just pointing out having run them both that there is little to no difference between the two and I've seen very little difference on game. I also understand that it might make some people feel better between their ears to be carrying a rifle with a bore that measures .257" instead of .243". I've just not seen much of a difference in the real world. I also understand I'm comparing the 243AI to the 25-06AI, but the same comparison is made with the vanilla chamberings of each.

In the end its all about the bullet and where you put it....much more so than the headstamp on the brass.

I also agree that the 260 would be a good one.

Brad.

with a CNS/spine shot a 22-250 can. It doesnt mean it should. Just becuase its on TV doesnt mean it should set a precedent for us. That shot looked preyyt far back to me too, if it wouldnt have hit the CNS I bet they would have found that elk.

Fine, that is your opinion, but the original question was about the effective range for a 243 on DEER......if a 243 can push a 105 VLD fast enough to punch the vitals of an ELK at 688 yards.......I would think it still has enough velocity to kill a DEER at least out to that range!

As far as the impact point in the video is concerned........a gut shot elk is a problem regardless of what was used to shoot it!

+1

You cant blame the little lady just the person who put it in her hands, Watch the hind legs fold before the body drops, CNS shot. I know it can do it but for a fair evaluation put one in the vitals.

I cull with a 6mm 107 @ 2850 I know it is slightly slow but its no long range elk cartridge. I've killed truck loads of deer out to 800 and been lucky on a bunch DRT's on deer at extended range come with CNS shots ony in my experience.

Well I think the few of you have to ask yourselves one question, would you rather be shot in the neck/spine/head and fall over dead in seconds or get hit in the heart with a big 338 and run for 30 seconds or sometimes much longer and do so while you are suffering. I find a "cns" to be pretty humane, and takes just as much effort as a vitals shot with a tid bit more leaniancy when you account for wind drift. And if it dies right there, you don't have to look for it!

I'm in Ky and don't get super long shot opportunities too often. With the right load ie hornady 95gr ballistic tips and the 1oogr hornady sp I've take them at 400yd, my longest deer kill was 407yd with one of those loads. Bucks here are in the 200-250lb class in the rut. I've got a 308win and 7rem mag as well but i find myself going back to the 243win i got for Christmas when i was 12. It's and older rugger m77, i've done a trigger job and sanded the stock down to have a true free floating barrel. I love my lil 243 it's light weight, handle as a shirt pocket and that lil rifle has killed the majority of my bigger animals.
I can't say it enough shot placement is everything, a well place shoulder shot on a deer with a 243 is enough gun for deer in my neck of the woods, most likely yours too. I've made neck shots DRT, or broadside on every one I've killed and most of them drop. None of my broadsides have been spine shots, and on the few deer i've had to track they've ran less than 100yd. I haven't tried any of the hornady superformace loads yet but they look impressive. Practice your shooting and if you get an opportunity within a range your comfortable let fly, you won't be let down by a 243win i assure you. Best part ammo is everywhere if you can find a wal-mart you'll have ammo unlike all the wildcat caliber out there

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts