22-250 for Hogs ?

I live in Canada and have not had the opportunity to kill hogs. I do however own a Weatherby SVE in 22/250. I load it with 52grain Burgers and I have cratered a railroad steel plate used to anchor railroad rails to the ties. The craters were 3/8ths of an inch deep and about 1/2 inch across at 200 meters. I do not believe that a hogs hide is tougher than steel. You should be good to go with that 22/250 remember them hogs can be tough as nails and shot placement is everything. I have also loaded with 70gr Speer and get 1 inch groups at 100. Now the barrel on my weatherby is 1-14 twist and it is not recommended to load much over 55grains as the twist is too slow. But my rifle seems to do ok with that bullet. For hogs I would go as heavy a round as I could shoot well.

Shooting a decent size hog in the ear, even at a distance, is a lot different than sticking him in the body. When he probably runs off with the latter hit, it will be tough to follow up and find him in most areas they would go to.

Guy's I live in Texas all I use is a 22-250 or an Ar-15 both are more than enough gun yes i mostly do ear holes but sometimes you don't have that option ! I use a 55 gr nosler ballistic tip and have no issues.

Its all about shot placement and bullet selection. I've shot hogs with everything from a .223, 22-250,22-243,243,up to a .50cal. One killed them just as dead as the others

You did not mention where you were going hunting. Here in Texas we are overrun with hogs. They are neither armor plated nor bullet proof.
The rifle that I pick from the gun cabinet when I go out to shoot hogs is my Savage 22-250 with a 1-8 twist barrel. I have many other larger caliber rifles, this one is my go to rifle.

I normally hunt from a stand and a WELL placed 75 grain .224 bullet is lights out for any hog. Now if you are going to be brush busting and can`t pick your shot, a larger caliber would be better.

Don`t let anyone tell you a 22-250 is too small, shoot the animal right and it will go down. Most guys down here use regular varmint bullets in their .223s and 22-250s with great success. Hogs around here are considered vermin and land owners want to rid their property of them. They are not the man-eating beasts they are made out to be, If one is cornered that is a different story, it will attack.

Depending on the twist of your barrel, use the heaviest bullet you can. I use 75 grain Berger VLDs, 75 Amax, 65 or 55 Gr Sierra Game Kings. Barnes TSX ,Winchester 64 gr Power Points would also be a good choice.

Good luck on your hunt.

i would use 52 grain barnes tsx to make sure you get the necessary penetration and i would aim for right behind the ear

55grn soft point puts them down with authority. the Post above mentions the barnes solid, also bad to the bone. Plenty enough bullet to stay together deep enough to take care of business in the boiler room or severe the spine (neck area).

I wouldn't recommend any cheap hollow points or V-max.....that's fer gophers' and stuff:D The biggest problem with killing hogs is hitting them in the right place. I've seen them hit with 30-06's and run off. You have to remember their spine drops way low coming out of their shoulders into the neck. The heart is almost on the breast bone too. Draw a line from the 'armpit' to the ear and pretty much shoot anywhere along that line forward of the shoulder and it'll hit the spine and drop them.

With your quick shooting Olympic, you'll have no trouble. How you liking that thing? Been thinking about getting one myself.

In fact, by accident, I found out the 204 ruger with 45grn soft points is wicked penetrator material and poison on hogs too.

My two cent's worth! Post pix of the carnage:D

Breeze

Attachments

• Trusty Rusty 22 250.JPG
    Trusty Rusty 22 250.JPG
    36.9 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG00131-20110916-1920.jpg
    IMG00131-20110916-1920.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 173
The 22-250 is just fine. Friend of mine shot his with one in the neck w/50gr hollow points and dropped DRT. Mine was hit with a ballistic tip in the lungs ran 50yds. (I don't recommend the last one, no blood trail). But the 60 gr partitions are sweet. Id go with those. Put I behind the ear or in the neck just below the ear and will drop em

I took my 22-259 hog hunting I dint get anything I was walking through pretty think swappy area and I was a bit worried my 22-250 would **** them off more than anything but I had a 12g with me too just in case some of the areas I had to go through I had to be crouched down which added to the excitement when I heard them grunting and squealing my heart was racing buti thought if I shoot this bastard I'd have to make sure I killed him coz therebwas no quick escape. I'm thinking of using case creek scent lures and electronic calls. Has anyone used the case creek electrical callers or scent lure hog hunting? And if so did they work?

I hunt alot of hogs here in Texas a 22-250 is plenty of gun for hogs yes it has to be a well placed shot I also use AR 15 with great success.

Stick it in his ear and a 22-250 is enough to drop him! Body shots may not be the best thing when you go that small a caliber though. I've used a .243 and 25-06 on them down there, but I always take broadside head shots when they are eating and I know I can put it in or near the ear hole.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.