215 berger hybrid on big game

Joefrazell

I know people are using this bullet on big game and would like to see pics if youve got any. I'm planning on using these on a mule deer/ elk hunt at 2805 fps muzzle velocity this year. Shoots great to 1200 yards won't be shooting past 700 though. I've heard of some bad experiences with these on game but many more good but haven't seen any pics or details of how they did. Mostly just here say. Thanks in advance.

Joe,

Open up that second link that GordO posted.
https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/comparing-the-berger-210-vld-to-the-215-hybrid.88657/

It may be the best thread ever on what the 215 hybrid can do. For documented kills begin on page 6. Broz mentions impact velocity, shows pictures of entrance/exit holes. He was up to 31 cold bore kills. Including his friends: " With big game kills over 60 now for the 215 alone, I have not seen one that didn't perform to our expectations. The 215 is one special bullet and kills even elk sized game very quickly at all distances we have used them."

The 215 Berger has worked good for me. Few deer at 5-550 yds, one at 734. All massive damage and pass through. Shot a elk last year at 625 yds. Hit him a bit low I'd say upper brisket. Again massive damage and actually opened him up into the chest cavity. With a different bullet I think I may of lost that bull. As was mentioned, make sure the tips are open.

Just a few of mine. I have yet to recover a bullet. Most animals never take a step.The pronghorn was shot at 100 yards, one tahr 250, the other 600, the elk 800 the stag 680, and I made a horrible wind call on the stag and the 215 bailed me out. If you click on the top two you can see the videos.

0x5n4BLm.jpg

PZ4GK0Rm.jpg

UA1knXZm.jpg

skcNhdQm.jpg

Here are a few more. The Kudu was at about 50 yards it made it about 100 yards, the Nyala never moved at 50 yards, the Hartebeest was DRT at 200 the wildebeest made it about 50 yards at 300 yards, the Reedbuck was a bad shot at 450 and required a followup(I did not know at the time my scope had come loose). After what I have seen with my own two eyes I have a hard time believing any thing other than those who report poor performance are making poor shots.
KERQkdrm.jpg

V8Bz8iBm.jpg

UcfdHZ2m.jpg

IrncWXbm.jpg

Usr9gppm.jpg

Nice animals rfurman. I haven't shot anywhere near the amount of animals you have with the 215, but my experience with them has also been positive. What are the specs on your rifle? Don't mean to derail, just curious.

Nice animals rfurman. I haven't shot anywhere near the amount of animals you have with the 215, but my experience with them has also been positive. What are the specs on your rifle? Don't mean to derail, just curious.
The Africa animals were shot with a 300 WM at MV of 2950. The Pronghorn a Ridgeline 30 Nosler MV3030 and the rest my Fierce CT Edge 30 Nosler MV 3030.

Shot hundreds of whitetails on damage permits with the 215 from a 300 RUM from 50 ft to 1500 yds. Never had a "Failure" but no bullet is perfect. No pencils and when a 215 does blow up? It blows a massive hole and the shank still penetrates. I would consider it one of the best game bullets out there. The only thing I would trust more would be a 338 300SMK.

Thanks toddc..I'm wondering how my 338 Edge with 300 smk will perform on game this year !! Excited now !!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.