300wm 215 berger hybrid

Svnmag

I am in the process of building a 300wm and am looking at which reamer to use to be able to shoot the 210 vld or 215 hybrid. Is it an advantage to use the match reamer? Also will this fit in a standard mag or do I need and extended box?

I am in the process of building a 300wm and am looking at which reamer to use to be able to shoot the 210 vld or 215 hybrid. Is it an advantage to use the match reamer? Also will this fit in a standard mag or do I need and extended box?

That depends on rifle brand/manufacturer or after market magazines; my 3.62" COAL load cycles very well without any problem in my SAKO M995 but it won't fit on my friend's Tikka T3.

I used a PTG 300 Win Mag Tac Match Finisher .3407 NK .210FB. This was suppose to have a extra 50 thou of free bore as compared to their regular match reamer. Broz recommended that I get the extra free bore. When I got the reamer Broz was a bit concerned that the neck may be a bit loose. But it seems to work fine. I Used a extended box on my build. I would recommend that you use one as well. This rifle shoots incredible. Drives the 215 Berger right at 3000 fps with a 26" Brux. Load development was done in 15 shots.

I would go with 300 wm match reamer from ptg. ask dave at ptg about bore rite throat used on the 6ppc. have it done on your 300 wm and use the 230 grain bullets with a aftermarket single feed box there are lots of issues on the 300 win. There are 3 diffrent chamber sizes out on market and most 300 win mag brass is very poor quality. Make sure you use lapua brass. velocity with the 230 grain will be about 2800 fps on 30" pipe it will over come the performance of the 210 grain at 3000 fps. due to its better b.c..There are lots of issues with the 300 win mag but if done correctly its a great cartrage.

never run a loose neck reamer. it causes hormonics issues. makes your brass dirty. not as accurate. and causes memory issues on neck tension. if a loose neck was a great thing all the benchrest shoots would be doing it. .002 to .003 release is what you want

I would go with 300 wm match reamer from ptg. ask dave at ptg about bore rite throat used on the 6ppc. have it done on your 300 wm and use the 230 grain bullets with a aftermarket single feed box there are lots of issues on the 300 win. There are 3 diffrent chamber sizes out on market and most 300 win mag brass is very poor quality. Make sure you use lapua brass. velocity with the 230 grain will be about 2800 fps on 30" pipe it will over come the performance of the 210 grain at 3000 fps. due to its better b.c..There are lots of issues with the 300 win mag but if done correctly its a great cartrage.

If by lots of issues you mean that the 300 WM makes an extremely effective 1000 yard 30 cal hunting rifle, then I'll agree it's full of those kinds of issues.

If by lots of issues you mean that the 300 WM makes an extremely effective 1000 yard 30 cal hunting rifle, then I'll agree it's full of those kinds of issues.

Ditto!
My 27 inch Lilja is not getting the velocity of some but bug holes at a MV of 2850fps with the Berger 215 gives me the most impressive down range performance I have seen! Not to mention the ballistic coefficient and related benefits

My 300 WM was the most forgiving rifle to load develop. Started at 73 gr and worked up to 79 gr. It shot all 7 different powder charges equally good! I just stopped at 79 gr because I had the speed and accuracy I wanted. Not sure sure what you mean by ISSUES?? My only issue was I couldn't decide which load to use.

Good greef, I finished my statement that if correct its a great cartrage. I dont think its a bad cartrage. I have owned 2 of them. but as a gunsmith in the past 10 years I have seen and worked on more issues with the 300 wm in factory rifle's than any other cartrage in my 30 years of gunsmithing. its due to 3 diffrent oem chambers out on market and poor guality brass. take 10 new rifles made in the past 5 years shoot one round in each gun then try re-chambering the round in a diffrent gun and you will see what I mean. Ever wonder why in the past 10 years there has been a decline in the use of the 300 wm in ftr open class. poor brass and better preforming calibers. not cartrages with higher b.c. with less recoil. but the 300wm done correctly is a great cartrage. and can produce great performance. the problem with the 30 cal is not ist killing performance or it retained velocity or retained energy. its the recoil due to grain weight needed to get the b.c. needed.

Good greef, I finished my statement that if correct its a great cartrage. I dont think its a bad cartrage. I have owned 2 of them. but as a gunsmith in the past 10 years I have seen and worked on more issues with the 300 wm in factory rifle's than any other cartrage in my 30 years of gunsmithing. its due to 3 diffrent oem chambers out on market and poor guality brass. take 10 new rifles made in the past 5 years shoot one round in each gun then try re-chambering the round in a diffrent gun and you will see what I mean. Ever wonder why in the past 10 years there has been a decline in the use of the 300 wm in ftr open class. poor brass and better preforming calibers. not cartrages with higher b.c. with less recoil. but the 300wm done correctly is a great cartrage. and can produce great performance. the problem with the 30 cal is not ist killing performance or it retained velocity or retained energy. its the recoil due to grain weight needed to get the b.c. needed.

I see your point, I was being silly. And I'd say say the brass quality is not as much to blame as chambers reamed on the maximum side of SAAMI allowing the case to expand exceedingly just above the belt. The issues you speak of are common with belted cases, not just the 300 WM. A properly sized case, no matter the headstamp, will chamber fine in all correctly reamed and headspaced SAAMI spec factory rifles.

Many of us 300 WM heavy bullet users have discovered the benefit of muzzle brakes to keep the recoil down on our hunting rifles. I realize this benefit cannot be utilized in some competitive categories. Although, the old 300 might gain a bit of traction again now that many shooters have begun seeing the benefits of the the more recently released high BC bullet offerings.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.