215 berger hybrid on big game

Why are there seemingly few reports on the 230 Berger? Does it not act the same on game? The velocity is lower which should reduce the chances of the bullet blowing up. It has higher sectional density which should increase penetration. And it will carry more energy to long range with less wind drift.

Why are there seemingly few reports on the 230 Berger? Does it not act the same on game? The velocity is lower which should reduce the chances of the bullet blowing up. It has higher sectional density which should increase penetration. And it will carry more energy to long range with less wind drift.

The little reliable data I've seen from the same guy using both says the 215 outperforms the 230.

Thanks toddc..I'm wondering how my 338 Edge with 300 smk will perform on game this year !! Excited now !!
I have shot a lot of stuff with a 300 SMK from an Edge, 338-378, Yogi and Lapua. It is absolutely devastating. Never had to shoot one twice or track one. That bullet starting out over 2700 FPS is absolutely lethal.

Varminator 911,

There are some reports out there. The 230 won't blow up. It may be a better choice for the larger 30 magnums especially at close distances. It will most likely exit.

Here is a hunter's report when he went to Africa:

https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/230gr-berger-used-in-africa-with-success.138852/

I used my 300 RUM and the 230 gr match target bullet on two elk. Both instances the bullet exited with quick kills. Cow @ 250 yd high shoulder shot was all she gave me in the thick woods. Dropped to the shot and kicked a bit DRT. Big 6 x 6 last year @ 156 yds was facing me with a slight quartering angle. Put bullet through center of chest to exit behind opposite shoulder. He took two steps and died. Little meat damage with either animal.

200 yards. Berger 215. MV 2980. This is the entrance wound. It did not exit. Being that far back, the shot did not cause immediate death.

Attachments

• IMG950247.jpg
    IMG950247.jpg
    517.3 KB · Views: 362
Shot a bull Shiris moose on Oct 15. 215 hybrid running at 2970 fps from a .30 Nosler. Bull was quartering VERY slightly towards me. 115 yards. Bullet hit the shoulder just forward of main joint. Penetrated into main body cavity and took out the top of the heart. Shrapnel/bone into lungs. Moose went perhaps 5 yards. No exit.
Killed a large mule deer with same rifle/load. Shoot to was 373 yds. Actual perhaps 390. Bullet barely caught edge of shoulder. Exited just behind shoulder on off side. About mid point on the body. Surprisingly he got up and went 15 feet to my right and then 10 feet back to the left to die just a few feet from his original bed....
Very good performance for me this year.
Bruce

I think there are a lot less people out there using the 230's for hunting purposes. The 230 gains very little in BC over the 215 for the added cost of velocity. If you are running a comparison of the 2 bullets in a ballistics solver you will see this. Most people are not out there hunting with a 30-338 Lapua Improved pushing the 230 at 3100-3200 FPS where the 230 would be advantageous.

Lance, What twist is your rum? Thanks
1:10". Shoots in the mid .2s. About .3MOA @ 921 yards. Had two 1st round hits on a pair of dumb coyotes @ 1365. And my personal favorite shot, 1st round kill on a squirrel @ 1201 yards. (Actually hit about 2" low on the rock he was sitting on top of, and shrapnel blew him into oblivion).

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts