300wm 215 berger hybrid

Talk to Dave at ptg. He will conferm there is 3 diffrent saami designs on the 300 wm that have in error entered into the production lines of manufactors and no amount of sizing will fix the problem. I have run into this at least 8 times in the past 4 years the 1st case was a father & son that wanted at share and load ammo. I set back and rechambered both rifle's problem solved. but you are correct belted issues and non belted issues can cause a problem on poor lathe setup when chambering and resizing. Most people are not aware of this problem they only have one 300 wm and only shoot new ammo or reload for just themself. brass is also a issue on 6.5 -284 new lapua and winchester and some norma will chamber on a match reamer chamber but hornady and nosler won't the base at the web is to wide you have to resort to using a botton die small base to fix the problem. gold match federal 308 had issues 3 years ago base web to wide and also had seating depth diffrence of .040 in case lots with the sierra 168 mk. federal admitted to this problem after dave at pct recived tons of calls in just a few weeks. law inforcement department all over had issues with chambering round in the sniper rifle's or if using factory 700'S were having bullets pull out from being jamed into lands. Thats what happens when production ramps up and quality goes out in the name of profit.

brentc, I dont think the 300wm will ever go away. Its one of the best all around cartrages ever devloped target & hunting all size game its great. If you only want to have one rifle. Its a true do it all round. But as far is seeing it gain traction again in ftr??? with the 284 sha. and the 7mm swm advancements with there shorter wide colums are just better for the even burning of powder. Even the 6.5 284 for the most part is going away in the open class. its just to much work. to make the best it can be. in benchrest its still very strong those old retired farts have lots of time on there hands. ps I am one of them. old fart that is. Not retired.

I went with the 300wm for my build and I am a 7mm lover by heart. Reading all this hype about the 215 hybrid and Broz's numerous exiting forums swayed my decision. It is a long wait but looks like I will be rewarded in the end. Thanks for all the input guys. Before I forget has anyone had feed issues using these with Wyatt box?

Good greef, I finished my statement that if correct its a great cartrage. I dont think its a bad cartrage. I have owned 2 of them. but as a gunsmith in the past 10 years I have seen and worked on more issues with the 300 wm in factory rifle's than any other cartrage in my 30 years of gunsmithing. its due to 3 diffrent oem chambers out on market and poor guality brass. take 10 new rifles made in the past 5 years shoot one round in each gun then try re-chambering the round in a diffrent gun and you will see what I mean. Ever wonder why in the past 10 years there has been a decline in the use of the 300 wm in ftr open class. poor brass and better preforming calibers. not cartrages with higher b.c. with less recoil. but the 300wm done correctly is a great cartrage. and can produce great performance. the problem with the 30 cal is not ist killing performance or it retained velocity or retained energy. its the recoil due to grain weight needed to get the b.c. needed.

My apology for not correctly answering the question of the op. I got distracted, yes my original model 70 300wm was junk, to answer Marks question.
I did not order the reamer or chamber my barrel but allegedly my chamber is a match tight neck chamber. I do not have the Wyatts mag box extension, but I did install a model 70 express follower and magazine box which is longer then the standard Long action follower and mag box. I have played with many coal with the 215 berger and had zero feeding issues.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.