2023 Meat Pole

I'd love that, but it won't pass wife inspection.

that's because she doesn't realize what you have? that bull is probably bigger than 75%(or more,90%) of hunters have seen, let alone killed if the truth be told! i've only seen a bull like that twice since 1982 & i didn't have a shot at either of those! just my opinion.

that's because she doesn't realize what you have? that bull is probably bigger than 75%(or more,90%) of hunters have seen, let alone killed if the truth be told! i've only seen a bull like that twice since 1982 & i didn't have a shot at either of those! just my opinion.

especially for DIY OTC tags!!!!!!!!!

I've never been one to keep any racks, and never desired any mounts. So she realizes what it means to me, and how blessed I am to be willing and still able to push my limits in the backcountry and harvest such a beast. I was going to skip this year's hunt, but because a few family members were not going to make it, I decided to go to make sure there were enough of us there to get any elk off the mountains. So three weeks before the season, I booked a flight and bought a new lightweight gun with which I practiced every day for 2 weeks until absolutely confident. And this happens. Unreal.

I TIG welded a length of my original 1/2" round stock hanger to 7/16" square stock that I had lying around. I increase the drop from 11" below beam to 15" below the beam. It would have been nice to have another long piece of round stock lying around, but so be it. Waiting for the paint to dry.....

Attachments

• 1000001557 - Copy.jpg
    1000001557 - Copy.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 50
Here's 2 iowa bucks shot with 35 whelens. I built my son and son in law with information i read about on this site. The 16 poiner was shot at 300 yds and the 13 pointer was shot at 210. Both 1 shot and complete pass through. I couldn't be any more proud of their accomplishments. My builds, my handloads, scopes i bought off of members here. Love the whelen. So much better than slugs

I hunted my rear end off trying to get a look at this buck. It finally happened. My best NC buck to date, and likely ever. They don't get this big around here very often. 146 5/8".

Shot him at 289yards with my Gunwerks Clymr 7PRC with 67.9 gr of RL26 and a Berger 180 Hybrid Target. Double lung shot with exit hole. He ran about 40 yards and crashed. I put a lot of hours into this buck and let some fine bucks walk waiting on him. But it worked out.

Attachments

• 2023 Buck Front.JPG
    2023 Buck Front.JPG
    368.2 KB · Views: 65
  • 2023 Buck Side.JPG
    2023 Buck Side.JPG
    389.7 KB · Views: 63
  • 2023 Buck Back.JPG
    2023 Buck Back.JPG
    404.8 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
I hunted my rear end off trying to get a look at this buck. It finally happened. My best NC buck to date, and likely ever. They don't get this big around here very often. 146 5/8".

Shot him at 289yards with my Gunwerks Clymr 7PRC with 67.9 gr of RL26 and a Berger 180 Hybrid Target. Double lung shot with exit hole. He ran about 40 yards and crashed. I put a lot of hours into this buck and let some fine bucks walk waiting on him. But it worked
Any buck pushing 150" is a good buck anywhere that I've hunted.

Last edited: