2022 NTO Elk Hunt and Journey @737 Yards

Southern 62

This might be a little long. Lol ok it is!!! I call it a journey, because for me it was. Last January I found out I had something going on with my balance and walking. So with 2Elk pts I set out at the last moment (11/2) days before the deadline to put in for a hunt not knowing what the future was holding. Having been many times to Wy. backpacking in for mule deer on my own decided to go fully guided for Elk. I called a couple of Outfitters and, they were already booked. Then I called Rob Wiley at Non-Typical Outfitters. With one spot open for Elk, and explaining my current condition I booked the hunt. I didn't even ask for references. I can't express enough how thoughtful Rob was to my needs. This was before I became a member here, so I knew nothing about him, and the group hunts. So the hunts booked, and a small chance even with the special tag, im waiting for the draw.

After some test and a MRI, it's a small stroke that's causing my problems walking and balance. Thinking now I'm going to need a lighter rifle if I get drawn. So part of this journey is my custom build. Calling Dallas Lane at Lane Precision Rifles, that I needed a rifle lighter than one I had built by him before. Such an easy guy to talk to, and his ability to build exactly what you want. Ohhh and SO ACCURATE!!!! Wasn't up to toting a 10.5 lbs rifle so I sold it,and got this build going. Same caliber 6.5 Prc. Wanting something between 7.5 and 8 lbs. rigged out. Had Dallas work up a load with Berger 140 VLDH. True to his word I got it 2weeks before my hunt. My build

HCA Summit Light Carbon 8 Twist @ 22''
Defiance Anti X XM
Manners UC Plus Carbon Fiber @ 13.75
With Mini Rail
Trigger Tech Special PVD @2
Custom XM Metal
Titanium 4Port Self Timing Break
30mm Seekins Rings
Flatline Ops Flip Out Level
Leupold VX5-HD 3-15x44 Firedot

Come in @ 7.11 rigged out
B59DFAAC-3CF1-401F-AC80-6EB2EEA91AF6.jpeg
Practiced out to 700 yards prone and shooting sticks. Getting familiar with the Leica 10x32Pros

572CB555-51F3-4502-A220-475A5B10DFF4.jpeg

As time went on, my walking, and balance got worse. I knew it would be tough, and doubt started setting in. Then I got the email I was successful in the draw. Having stumbled and falling a couple times I had to remember what I told Rob the first night we talked. God had this, and His hand would be my guide. Not saying that lightly, but with reverence. My passion for hunting, though I live in the South, lives in the Wilderness of The Rocky Mountains!!!! Talking with Rob, and setting the dates Oct. 20-24th. As an outfitter his reassurance I'd be ok, helped me and my wife. Going cross country 2100 miles alone bothered her, but she didn't want to put me in a bubble.

I found out that another member here in the forum was going at the same time. Claybreaker, his son, and nephew were booked also. Different camps though. They were at Dead Man Camp ( would have been a bad sign for me lol) and I was at Big Park Camp. What a Great Friend we've become!!!!

Still uncertainty run through my mind after a nasty fall in a BW parking lot on the way out there. What am I going to do? Go back home? No I remembered God told us it's not always going to be easy in this life. Just gets tougher at 63 lol. I had a mountain to climb. Just not with horses. This one was in within me to over come.

Arriving at camp,and meeting Rob the evening before the hunt to check our rifles with 3 other men from NY. Heck I was the youngest!!!!! Two 69 and one I think 72 or 73. Im like, come on dude you can do this lol.
Shooting where he puts on one of his long range shooting classes, we shoot out to 400. I shoot out to 600. The just for fun Rob shows the steel black coyote @1000. Just for fun!!!! Never in my life have I even shot that far. With my data he gave me my ballistics. Hitting it on my second shot was the boost I needed. Not that I would try an Elk that far with a 6.5 Prc. I knew though I would need to be able to shoot long not being able to make a quick stalk.

The camps are very well set up. Great cook Kourtny and camp hand Ben. Two Great people. The food was super good. Meeting some of the guides was the first clue as to how professional, and dedicated they all are to there job. They love it!!! Staggering back from the range one put his hand in my shoulder after hearing me doubt myself some and said….. don't give up because we won't. Iv rode horses many times, but having to be helped up and off was so humbling. My young guide Bridger was wise and mature beyond his years. Never felt like I was a pain in the butt to him. Omg at the country!!!

We saw elk that morning and evening. All way to far. Long day but that's hunting out west. One of the guys from NY took a nice 5x6 the first morning. That evening one of two other hunters that were already in camp took a spike. The other had already took a really nice 6x6 That night all the guides talking and working there plans for the next day. Rob your guides are the best!!!!

Day two is where I see how my words with God being with me and His hands being my guide come into play. I have two guides now. Bridger and now Hayden. Big strong strapping young man. Told me it's a bad day for elk lol. Also the two other hunters that had already tagged out came too to help. They had a couple days before there flight left so I had four people helping me now. Humble pie was limping up in my throat. Helping me on and off the horse after a almost 2 hour ride to a spot the seem to scream Elk. Getting set up on a steep rockslide to glass, we saw him to our right in an opening. Way to far!!!! We needed to move a couple hundred yards to get a better setup if he came our way. Nice 5x6. I'm pumped till it was time to move. I couldn't do it!!! Almost falling twice I told my guides they lost there ever loving minds if they thought I could with a laugh as I said it. Then they told me I didn't understand. Taking my rifle and pack with each one on holding me up they lead me across the rockslide. Humble pie came out. Yes I was crying as they helped me. Never ever in 63 yrs have I ever needed help with anything!!!! God was teaching me to stumble with Grace. This is the type of an Outfitter Rob Wiley is and the guides he has. That was above and beyond what any guide is expected to do in my book.
62254D8B-EECF-4F93-8DE2-20F1E2C7D80E.jpeg

Well the bull went into the timber, and after a bit we saw two spikes below where we were to begin with. It's then I totally realize I had no business in my shape on this type of hunt. Telling them I would take a spike if I get the chance. It would be a Trophy to me!!!! Can't go back across like we came with all the rocks falling. Got to go up top and go back, but it's not happening. I'm pulling them both down, so I crab crawled back up to the top. By the time we got there they were gone too, but figured they would be back out that evening. So a fire up top, a great lunch, and the best nape ever we were ready that evening.
878A0DAB-7371-4997-93BF-A74CCD8C0784.jpeg

The 5x6 and the spikes came out with cows back at the other spot lol. At 1500 yards they started feeding our way. The bull running the spikes away. I was totally in awe of it all. Realizing it was going to happen!!!!! Giving my Leica binos to one of the other hunters for him to range, and tell me my hold. Finally clearing some trees and dialing for my hold. I don't know if I pulled or dialed wrong. Two shots just over his back!!!! He came down a bit and my spotter says 737 yards. If I remember rite 14.5 moa. Not sure now!! I held a little lower. I hear you hit him. Hit him again!!! So I did, and another hit as he stepped behind a couple trees. Out of sight, and on the ready for several minutes. All the cows looking where he was. Then the all spooked while looking at him. I heard he just went down. All the emotions over came me realizing this was my last back country hunt. As we shook hands and I cried with tears of thankfulness how blessed I was to be with this group of men. I was there,and pulled the trigger, but if there ever was a team effort in a hunt, this had to be one. Two absolutely Great Guides weather I had taken an Elk or not. Two true sportsman that loved the thrill of the hunt and showed the pinnacle of what we as hunters really should be as men and yes women.
BFB8F9BE-9400-4DE5-B335-E40C7331C49A.png

After our shot. I'm almost done I promise lol
Hayden goes down to the Bull before it gets dark. We're taking the horses down and around. It's dark now. My horse stumbles to his knees throwing me off. Then the sick part. Hayden messages he's not dead. He was on his side with his head down sideways but he lifted it looked then layed it's back down. Hayden dropped a pin and came out. Not having a rifle with him, we decided to let him sit over night. A LONG NIGHT for me. Back at camp it was decided that it wasn't safe for me to go the next morning. I agreed as bad as I wanted my picture with him. They had a job to do and taking care of me wasn't it. Hayden couldn't go the next morning. The two other guys that I just meet went. Blew my mind!!! Told them to take pics with them as they had just as much rite in that bull as I did. When they got there he hadn't gone 20 yards. Both shots half way up but back. I wish it was a cleaner kill.
A05A9C4C-EAAE-4A99-8F29-E4D2BD7BD0A3.jpeg
D973A3C7-032A-40AC-A443-1C5020AD369F.jpeg

Hayden on the left Bridger on the right. My guides and friends for life.

So if your thinking about a Elk hunt with Rob Wiley @ Non-Typical Outfitters just know that even the locals say the same thing that iv talked too. You won't find a harder working outfitter. His guides top notch!!! Don't let some of there young age fool ya!!!! There's no guarantee, but like his one guide told me. Don't give up, because they won't !!!!!!!

I know that Claybreakers son got an elk at the other camp. Might want to pm him and get his thoughts.

If your thinking of doing a custom rifle, I know there are many, but give Dallas Lane a call. I know you won't be disappointed in his rifle!!!!

I know this post is more like a short story, but I hope it might inspire someone in here to keep climbing what ever mountain there facing. I know this was a hunt that God Granted me. To all the post iv read in this forum that's helped me. To my wife that worried but encouraged me to live my dream

Thanks to all that have read this far!!!!! Lol God Bless. Jimmy

Most wonderful story I have ever read of Gods work. Very special. Thank you for this. God bless you.
Thanks!!! I just know I don't have the patten on struggling with a health issue. Not gonna lie. I had my doubts, and asked my self if I had lost my ever loving mind too!!!! 😂 Made four friends for life that day. How awesome is that!!!

Jim,

Thank you for sharing these powerful words. GOOD JOB! Your courage is intoxicating and inspiring! These words are proof that if we have the courage to trust God, He is faithful and He shows up. All we have to do is ask...

The credit for this amazing hunt is God's, yours and the crews!!!! WELL DONE!!!!