2022 AZ ELK Draw

Nothing again
It's a broken system
What use to work no longer works.
This is a business and it needs continuous revenue to feed it. Kids and young hunters are not going to participate as a whole if this is what they experience. Having to be a PHD in state hunting application processes and a math wiz for formula percentages of probable success is not a desirable game for most youth to endure.
Watched a webinar last night about points and each state's system.
The statement at one point was " think of putting in for a state draw like putting in for a raffle at a conservation banquet. You know your most likely not going to win. Your giving your money to a organization for wildlife. It's a donation. It will make you feel better thinking like this" 😩
Only hunters would except this mentality I 🤔 think. Myself included.
Not sure if the "system is broken". Out of all the Western states I believe AZ has the 2nd smallest elk herd behind CA, but the amount of applicants has grown substantially the last few years. There are some things AZGFD should consider though IMO that wouldn't jeopardize there application income stream though. For instance some states don't allow you to draw a ELK or Moose tag the following year after being successful in the draw but you can still buy your bonus point. I actually think this policy is a pretty fair one. Maybe I'm wrong….

Nothing again
It's a broken system
What use to work no longer works.
This is a business and it needs continuous revenue to feed it. Kids and young hunters are not going to participate as a whole if this is what they experience. Having to be a PHD in state hunting application processes and a math wiz for formula percentages of probable success is not a desirable game for most youth to endure.
Watched a webinar last night about points and each state's system.
The statement at one point was " think of putting in for a state draw like putting in for a raffle at a conservation banquet. You know your most likely not going to win. Your giving your money to a organization for wildlife. It's a donation. It will make you feel better thinking like this" 😩
Only hunters would except this mentality I 🤔 think. Myself included.
It's pretty easy to understand. Personally. I donate about $300 to AZGFD every year and have only been getting points the last 7 years. There's point creep too, which substantially hurts.

Not sure if the "system is broken". Out of all the Western states I believe AZ has the 2nd smallest elk herd behind CA, but the amount of applicants has grown substantially the last few years. There are some things AZGFD should consider though IMO that wouldn't jeopardize there application income stream though. For instance some states don't allow you to draw a ELK or Moose tag the following year after being successful in the draw but you can still buy your bonus point. I actually think this policy is a pretty fair one. Maybe I'm wrong….

I agree, once drawn, a 1 or 2 year wait would be good. Gives everyone a more fair chance.

I you go to your azgfd portal and apps you can see you tag number. Mine is high so I know the unit and hunt i drew because none of the other hunts i applied for have that many tags.

15 is a low number, depending on how tuff the draw odds for the unit you put in for you most likely drew you 1st or 2nd choice, congrats, mine tag number is 198 out of 300, I am just happy to be going hunting this fall. The portal should have all info very soon, probably Monday.

I you go to your azgfd portal and apps you can see you tag number. Mine is high so I know the unit and hunt i drew because none of the other hunts i applied for have that many tags.
Results are posted?
I'm definitely part of the problem this year. I drew a 10 archery bull tag last year with 14 points and it looks like I drew 5b north archery this year. I'm in shock!!
my first choice with 9 bonus points. Good luck and congrats. I hope to go next year as I'm not getting any younger.