1st Deer

RockyMtnMT

Official LRH Sponsor
I took a young man that I have been coaching for the last few years out for a deer hunt yesterday afternoon. Mt had their early season two day youth deer hunt yesterday and the day before.

So we got out yesterday afternoon and hiked into one of my deer hunting spots. My self, my son Ty, and Bobby (the hunter). We got up onto a ridge that we like to sit on and watch a basin that usually holds deer. We sat and watched for about 3 hrs and I finally couldn't sit anymore and suggested that we walk around to the other side of the mountain to look at another spot that has had deer in it in the past. On the way there we jumped a couple of does and watched them off. After they got out of sight we worked our way down to a rock outcrop to set up and watch the basin until dark. We no more than sat down and Ty says "got a buck". There were two little basket rack bucks feeding on the far side of the basin. So we got the rifle set up on a couple backpacks across the rock and got Bobby comfortable. I ranged the two bucks at 500 yards give or take about ten yards between the two. Dialed up the scope and told Bobby to get comfortable on either one of the deer. After some fussing to help him find the deer in the scope we were finally ready to send one. Both bucks fed behind trees. We waited for what seemed like forever for them to feed back out. Finally they fed back out, got back on the rifle, and squeezed off a shot. Watched the buck take a few jumps down the hill and roll into a small line of timber. Whew hoo, Bobby got his first deer.

Now we had to landmark the spot and hustle across the steep side hill to find the buck before dark. Just as it was getting dark we found him piled up at the base of a tree. We got him cleaned up and the two boys did the dragging while I went ahead to make sure we did not end up in too nasty of terrain for dragging. Got two tired boys and a deer in the truck. Drove home to hang and skin him, then called it a day.

Really glad I could take the young man out for his 1st deer. We were a bit short of camera for taking pics in the dark so we did not get a great pic. Got one on an ipod but not sure how to get it here. If I can I will post it.

Steve

That is an excellent story about a great hunt. You certainly sound like you had the best of time, and I'm sure you did. Congratulations to all.

Good for you Steve, you did well and so did the new hunter. Thanks for sharing the story. These days I get as much or more pleasure from helping a new hunter as I do going for myself. This is the way to preserve hunting. Thanks for that too.

Jeff

Thanks Broz,

It was so much fun. You shoulda seen the excitement and anticipation for that boy. I agree that it is very satisfying to help new hunters.

Steve

My wife is going on the elk hunting trip this week. She has never hunted before. Looking forward to putting her on an elk. I think she got tired of me leaving her during hunting season and decided to join in.

Steve

My wife is going on the elk hunting trip this week. She has never hunted before. Looking forward to putting her on an elk. I think she got tired of me leaving her during hunting season and decided to join in.

Steve

My wife started about 5 yrs ago. She ain't missed yet. That's will be fun. Enjoy!

Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.