195 EOL or 215 Hybrid

I threw the .284cal 195 in the mix cause that 28N can push that bullet. That bullet at 3k is a bad *** round. (Never had one or loaded for one so don't know how finicky they are).
If I go the 30cal route I would like to shoot the 215-245 at a good clip.
I'm open to any suggestions. I already have dies for the 300 RUM I load for my dad.
.338_Lapua_Magnum_vs_.338_Norma_Magnum.jpg

I was going to build a .338 LM/I but went with .338 NMI (build in progress) instead because LM/I, as well as RUM/EDGE requires 4.00" mag clearance to take full advantage of the long bullets.

.338 NM in .338 LM CIP mag.jpg

(.338 NM in .338 LM CIP 3.875" mag)

That's why I have the .284 195 in the mix. It will take alot from a 30 to compete.
If I do a 300 RUM or something (cause I already have dies) I could push the larger 30 cal bullets but is it worth the extra recoil? IDK.
That's why I am open to all input.
I understand muzzle brakes (and suppressors) are not for everybody, but plenty of effective muzzle devices help mitigate the felt recoil and muzzle rise.

That's why I have the .284 195 in the mix. It will take alot from a 30 to compete.
If I do a 300 RUM or something (cause I already have dies) I could push the larger 30 cal bullets but is it worth the extra recoil? IDK.
That's why I am open to all input.
The Rum does bring the recoil for sure. But the 30 nosler wasn't much more than the 28 nosler. Muzzle brakes are your friend.

So I had a discussion with a buddy the other day and the wheels been turning ever since.

He was talking about his buddies rifle (Piercision 30-28 Nosler) and it's abilities. I started looking into 28 Nosler vs 30-28 Nosler vs 300 WM (which I own).
I am now very tempted to make a change. My rifle is a Christensen ELR 300 WM with McMillian stock, 26" 1-10.
I'm tempted to either rebarrel or sell. Leaning towards selling and starting with a Kelby action.
Would you put a rig together specifically to shoot the .284 195gr EOL or a .308 to shoot 215's or 245 EOL?
I'd like to hear some discussions on this.

Ps. This would not be a high volume rifle so not a concern about barrel life. Plinking/Elk
I would build a 30 nosler over any 284/195 combo any day.
I've heard from a bunch of guys who've had expansion issues.
I did some testing myself and was shocked how many bent at the tip and failed to expand at even 200 yards.
I switched to 180 vldh and they're way more consistent.
I love a 225 eldm around 2800-2900 the best though, nothing I've seen kills elk faster.
Just don't shoot them in the shoulder inside 500 yards..

This thread is full of knowledge and choices . It just shows us we have to do our research and figure out our max distance on game .
I never spent anytime with the 7mm rounds . I started with the 300 Rum when it first came out . The choice on ammo was great at the time . It was easy to grab a box of 150 gr , 180 gr and even the 200 gr. stuff . I didnt reload at the time .

Fast forward to today and after moving out to Montana the need /want for more came into play . I skipped right over the 215 gr. ( never fired a single one yet ) and jumped on the 230 gr and now the 245 gr.
It's getting to the point I dont need all my 338's ....wait I didnt say that and mean it really ! Ha ha

No real bad choice on what your thinking.

I pushed a 300 gr berger out 1244 yards in a 338 Edge for my longest kill so far .i still have lots of the 338's but now I'm messing with that new 300 Rum and the 245gr. Time and distance /results will show me the way !

To me it looks like you need to build a few rifles !

Rum Man

Oh man, when it comes to elk over 800 - 900 yds I'm hard pressed to go less than a .338 with 300 gr, if I lost one I would blame it on bullet size for sure. But for ability to spot my shots its tempting to go lighter. I don't think I gain much recoil reduction with the Rum / Norma ? Is it easy to spot your shots at 400+ yards? How far do I need to drop in size to readily spot shots at 400 yards?

Seems like you just have to build WHAT MAKES YOU EXCITED. For me I am an unapologetic 7mm Fan boy so I would never build a 30 cal. I personally don't need a 30 anything. 28 nosler with 195 at 3150 is good for anything I could ever want to do with a rifle. No game in any part of NA i cant handle easily with a 28 Nosler. If I ever needed more I'd just jump up to real HP of a BIG 338. But I don't and won't need to. Your circumstances or WANTS may differ. Just wanting something is different. Sometimes I just want it..

Best of luck. But like rum said you may need or want to build a few rifles.

I would build a 30 nosler over any 284/195 combo any day.
I've heard from a bunch of guys who've had expansion issues.
I did some testing myself and was shocked how many bent at the tip and failed to expand at even 200 yards.
I switched to 180 vldh and they're way more consistent.
I love a 225 eldm around 2800-2900 the best though, nothing I've seen kills elk faster.
Just don't shoot them in the shoulder inside 500 yards..
Have you any experience with the 225 on bone \ shoulder past 500 yards ? Pretty messy inside 500 on the shoulder

IMO in the 30 cal realm to gain significant performance over the 300WM you'll need to look at a 30N with a proper throat and barrel twist, a 300 Norma Improved with the same, 300 RUM but it has its issues with throat and COAL, and then the 30-338 Lapua Improved.

Realistically with a properly throated 300 Win Mag and with the proper barrel twist is is probably the most well rounded in my opinion.

I have the 300 WM and if I am building a new rifle, I want more snuff that what the 300wm has
Oh man, then yes go BIG and don't look back. I have a 300 RUM and 30 Shermans, I think both are good choices. 30SM is a 300 PRC improved, and 300 PRC is a "better mousetrap" (relatively) version of the 300 Win Mag - I set my benchmark at being able to hit 3k FPS, and the 30SM can hit 3k FPS with the 245. There are so many big muzzle brakes available now that recoil isn't really a problem anymore, put a 5-port 30cal brake on a well-fitting stock and you'll be fine. That's one of the best parts of designing from a clean sheet - you can get exactly the stock you need that fits you, which is a big part of managing recoil.

You said you didn't want to get into the 338 game yet...... 338 Edge is a 300 RUM necked up to 338, so if you build something RUM capable now (3.9-4.0" Wyatt's box with action cut to match) you can step up to a solid 338 chamber with just a barrel change in the future. The RUMs do have COL issues that have to be mitigated (once, up front, then they're fine) but there's a benefit in that you won't need the bigger bolt face like 338 Lapua or 300 Norma.

Any reason why the .300 rum isn't on the table?

.30-338 lapua?

.300 Norma?
My wallet voted for 30-338 LMI throated for the 245s, that's what I'm building next to be a step up from my 30 Shermans.

Last edited:
IMO in the 30 cal realm to gain significant performance over the 300WM you'll need to look at a 30N with a proper throat and barrel twist, a 300 Norma Improved with the same, 300 RUM but it has its issues with throat and COAL, and then the 30-338 Lapua Improved.

Realistically with a properly throated 300 Win Mag and with the proper barrel twist is is probably the most well rounded in my opinion.
agreed. I'm happy with my .300 Winnie. If I ever do build a custom rig I'm going for broke and building a .30-33xc off Peterson xc brass. Dimensionally similar to Kirby Allen's .300 Raptor or Broz's .300 High Country Magnum from Long Range Only. Budget friendly option would be the single shot savage 112 magnum target action.

Because you're absolutely right. It's hard to meaningfully exceed the .300 win mag in a .30 cal without needing impractical long barrels, impractical overbore cases, and much much more expensive brass (no matter the case) and rifle builds (to say nothing of the powder budget nowadays). So if I'm gonna be spending an impractical sum on an impractically huge .30 cal I'm going all the way dang it!!! 😁😁😁😁😁😁. No point in being "a little better" for so much more investment.

The .300 win will probably always be my favourite centerfire rifle for this exact reason. It's just so darn hard to beat PRACTICALLY. Ballistically, for versatility of application, for being semi-economical, for everyone who's anyone making good brass and rifles for it, and so on.

At present I own 6 centerfire rifles, a .243, .257 wby, 270 win, 300 win mag, 8x57 mauser, and .358 Norma. If, God forbid, I could only keep one it'd be the .300 with no hesitation.

Recent Posts