Berger to introduce 7mm 195 gr EOL Hybrid Hunting Bullet

I can't wait to try them with some reloaded 33 in my 7mm practical with 28 inch krieger I'm running 180s in a 7 mag with r33 at 3120 in 26 inch with no problems

I ran into cold weather issues with rl33 and my 7stw (8" twist) using the 195 berger. The group was wandering with temperature on me; with crappier accuracy than warm weather too. I switched to 7828, but I am not entirely happy with that choice either. I've got to be at top pressures just to get 2920 fps from the rifle... At present the rifle is actually sighted in for 140 nos ab's...

As to rl33, it works fine for me with 225's in my 300rum in all temps., but I'm not sure it is a good choice for overbore 7mm's.

I haven't tried r33 in cold weather,in fact I have only tried it this week in the 7 rem mag,but I did do try a few loads in my 8 twist 7mm-300 with 195s but Its back to the smith to have a new chamber cut with a new reamer as I was having terrible brass issues,accuracy was superb though. That's something I'll have to think about,dang I got all excited with the velocity and accuracy I got in my 7mm I ordered a 8lb keg of R33 as I thought it might be the chit for both my 7mm rem with 180 hybrids and 7mm-300 with 195s,I'll give it a shot,thanks

Anyone loading the 195 berger for a 28 nosler? If there is some data out there for H1000 I sure would like to know where to start.

I've worked up this load for my 28 Nosler with 8.5" twist in 26" barrel;

Berger 195gr, 79.6gr Retumbo, COL 3.632", 0.012" off the lands, muzzle velocity is 3075fps. Shooting 1/2 MOA

Who is running a 195 Berger out of a 7 RUM, what kind of velocities and powder charges are you getting with Retumbo and H1000. My COAL is 3.825" and CBTO is 3.060" just wondering what results everyone else is getting with a 26" 1:8 twist barrel.
Thanks

I recently went with a Krieger 8 twist, finished to 27" on a Rem 700.

.321" neck, had it throated short. Tried Retumbo and US869. After sending about 24 rounds down the barrel, I decided to send the rifle back to the gunsmith to throat it out to the SAAMI spec .400" freebore.

I tried Retumbo from 84.7gr up to 87.3gr., with 0.040" to the lands. I recorded velocities from 3030fps to around 3140fps.

My velocities were not following a solid pattern corresponding to the load ladder. I decided to play it safe and go with the freebore.

I'll post results when I get the rifle back.

All rounds fired were around 30F.

You guys with over bore cartridges might try RL26. I have tried it in ultra mag cases and 338 norma based wildcats. It is very consistant and temp stable.
Also tried N570 with great results.
Both powders gave higher velocities and lower ES.
Just another option for those interested.

Have any of you who are shooting the 195s in fast twist barrels at high speeds found any bullets blowing apart from the rotational speed? I heard of one shooter who had issues with bullets not making it to the target and was wondering if it was just a one off barrel problem?

Have any of you who are shooting the 195s in fast twist barrels at high speeds found any bullets blowing apart from the rotational speed? I heard of one shooter who had issues with bullets not making it to the target and was wondering if it was just a one off barrel problem?

Pushing 3250fps with no problem. Had them up to 3300fps with no issue you describe.
I had problems with the 180 VLDs coming apart. Switched to the hybrid and no more problem.
No frag problems with the 195's for me so far. Shot close to 400 of them. Rig is at the smiths getting a new barrel. Shot the old one out.

lefty7mmstw,
Were you using Federal 215M magnum primers? In cold weather you MAY want to go to a hotter primer like a Winchester , Remington or CCI LRM primer to get that long powder column lit better. The match primers seem to be great in warm weather but not so much when it gets cold in some cases.

lefty7mmstw,
Were you using Federal 215M magnum primers? In cold weather you MAY want to go to a hotter primer like a Winchester , Remington or CCI LRM primer to get that long powder column lit better. The match primers seem to be great in warm weather but not so much when it gets cold in some cases.

I use the regular 215.... from what I've seen it and the wlrm are pretty much tied for the hottest primers out there.

RL33 has done this to me twice now; it isn't the primer or the bullet, it is simply a very slow powder that isn't loaded down quite enough to be stable at all temp ranges. I've had issues with rl33 using the 200eld-x in my new 300rum also, but both rl33 and rl50 are stable at all temps. when shooting the 225 hdy hpbt in the 300rum... Simply switching to a more appropriate (and usually slightly faster) powder has cured both issues.
As to my fast twist 7stw not using the 195berger, I like a bit more bullet speed than I was able to muster in the 7stw anyway, so I'll try the 195's again when I fry out my 7rum's barrel (that will be soon). A 28"-30" 8 twist 7rum ought to get me another 100-200 fps over the 7stw that I'm shooting.

My 7mm Long Range Hunter project was rudely shoved aside the past 6 months but now I'm back on it, got some 195's and RL33 loaded up for this weekend, looking for pressure and 3300 fps

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 202
My 7mm Long Range Hunter project was rudely shoved aside the past 6 months but now I'm back on it, got some 195's and RL33 loaded up for this weekend, looking for pressure and 3300 fps

what is the base casing for the l r h ???
I need to stay with something that will fit on a remmy 700 rum lh action without serious action mods.

Swampy,
My 7mm Valkyrie wildcat, at 93 gr H2O capacity, seems to like Reloader 50 as well as 33 behind the 180 Hybrids. Might want to try some in your larger LRH with the heavier pills.

Anybody try US-869? It's a bit too fast for my 7mm AM, but I load 110-111 grains of US-872 powder in it behind a 175-180g bullet and it works great.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.