15x power binos

I compared side by side a couple evenings while spotting Swaro 15x with Nikon Monarch 5 16x56 and the Swaros edged them only in the last few minutes of light. The Nikons actually had better color. I was not impressed with the Vortex.
They also have a Monarch 5 20x56 but I have never tried them.
A good review from a while back of big binos;
https://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/hunting/new-15x-monster-binos
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-bino...012845&hash=item3fabdde1ab:g:SEEAAOSw53hbn34V
A friend recently bought a set of these and his brother bought the 20x version. They both also have the Swaro 15x56. Havent heard any reports yet.
I have a set of Minox 15x58 which Minox replaced now with 15x56. Weve compared the Minox, Swaro, and 15x56 Leica Geovids side by side and frankly its a tough call. We did not try low light conditions because we always quit glassing before that time frame happens.
It's simply too dangerous to be stumbling around on steep sidehills after dark in search of a dead deer.
BUT, If you were to take a poll here of strictly PA long range hunters, you would find that virtually all use twin spotting scopes in brackets mounted on tripods for glassing. Some also have others like those mentioned above, but for the serious long range glassing, the twin spotters get used, and they are not always the very large most expensive ones.
You can ask Joel Russo, Kevin Cram, Bruce Baer or anyone you like, and thats the answer you will get from all of them. As for the op, id hate to see him spend a considerable amount that maybe wont work well for him anyway. I have several small spotters here that might work for him if he wants to try.
Pm me and we can discuss it if your interested.

I also compared side by side the Swarovski 15X56, Nikon 16X50, and my Minox 15X58. One guy preferred the Minox. One guy couldn't see any difference and I rated the Swaro at 100 for myself and the Minox at 97. They were that close. The Nikon was too hard to get a good picture for me.

I've been on 15 guided hunts over the past dozen years and have taken a poll of the glass used by guides. 13 of 15 have used Swarovski. One Zeiss, and one Vortex. In every example their binoculars and their spotting scopes were the same brand. As far as binoculars are concerned, most used 10x, a few 12x, and a few 15x. If at all possible, I use what the guys making their living spotting and judging game use. Obviously, they daily encounter all kinds of weather and light conditions and there seems to be no contest for them when comparing Swarovski to the others...

RogerPA, Well said above. I have been guiding Elk hunters for close to 30 yrs and I use Swarovrski, Leica or Zeiss every day of the season . There is nothing that can compare to these 3 brands PERIOD. I will say that Swarovski has the best customer service of the 3. Some people don't need or want the best optics and that is fine. But don't ******** me that these cheaper brands are as good and once you use the best, it is tough to go back to cheaper. The same is true with chainsaws Stihl or Husky.

RogerPA, Well said above. I have been guiding Elk hunters for close to 30 yrs and I use Swarovrski, Leica or Zeiss every day of the season . There is nothing that can compare to these 3 brands PERIOD. I will say that Swarovski has the best customer service of the 3. Some people don't need or want the best optics and that is fine. But don't ******** me that these cheaper brands are as good and once you use the best, it is tough to go back to cheaper. The same is true with chainsaws Stihl or Husky.
Haha what poulan pro didn't make the cut?? Jk. I definitely agree with the brands you named but I'd also add meopta in there as well for quality glass. I own a version of all you mentioned except swaroski, which my father owns one, and my meostar is my favorite for hunting. Even compares to his swaro(now it is an older version), but the meostar is very easy to look through.

As stated I just need help with my eyes more than anything. I have as I feel about the best quality scopes made, Decent binos, just want to upgrade binos and feel magnification would benefit me. I am starting to lean towards 12x after everyones input against using 15x for under 300yds

Just to clarify:
I wasn't suggesting a spotter, I just meant mounting the high mag binos to a window mount that is mounted to your stand. Holding high mag binos, even when braced, is not ideal.
I understand what you're saying, but I have shooting rails that would be used to brace the binos. I did misread at first, thanks for the suggestion

I have a pair of viper 10x42's and absolutely love them but a lot of my stands I can see upward most of 250yds and they just dont cut it at early and late hours as far as the zoom goes being able to tell rack characteristics. Would it be worth going with a 15x. I feel it would benefit me a lot. Thanks. Also what brands, trying to keep a budget under 500, but will be looking at used as well.
The higher the magnification the more light is required to resolve an image. What you need is better glass or larger objectives or both.

As the light fades you want less magnification, not more.

The higher the magnification the more light is required to resolve an image. What you need is better glass or larger objectives or both.

As the light fades you want less magnification, not more.

I find that very false for my eyes, and maybe that is due to my astigmatism, but if I'm hunting late, and need to shoot or verify and animal I'm not on 3x for a 100yd shot, I would shoot with at least 10x power late.

I've been on 15 guided hunts over the past dozen years and have taken a poll of the glass used by guides. 13 of 15 have used Swarovski. One Zeiss, and one Vortex. In every example their binoculars and their spotting scopes were the same brand. As far as binoculars are concerned, most used 10x, a few 12x, and a few 15x. If at all possible, I use what the guys making their living spotting and judging game use. Obviously, they daily encounter all kinds of weather and light conditions and there seems to be no contest for them when comparing Swarovski to the others...

A friend of mine was a guide. He preferred the Minox 13X56. A few of his clients mentioned he needed Swarovski. They were pretty insistent that you couldn't be a good guide with inferior products so he finally used the Swarovskis he already owned but didn't prefer.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.