15x power binos

Austin Dial

I have a pair of viper 10x42's and absolutely love them but a lot of my stands I can see upward most of 250yds and they just dont cut it at early and late hours as far as the zoom goes being able to tell rack characteristics. Would it be worth going with a 15x. I feel it would benefit me a lot. Thanks. Also what brands, trying to keep a budget under 500, but will be looking at used as well.

Will also add I hunt bean fields and power lines as well. All in stands with shooting rails that I could use to brace binos to limit movement

15 power would definitely be better Especially If you can brace your self cuz they are hard to steady vortex probably would be a good choice but there 15 power binos are right at your limit good luck

For a serious long range hunter, the single most important item of equipment is good binnoculars.
Exactly what type and size would depend on where and how an individual hunts. For serious glassing, a tripod is a must. 15x would be a good choice for longer distances or looking for points on horns, and sometimes 15x wont be enough.
Conditions will ultimately be the deciding factor on how well any of them perform. These wont be the type you hang on your neck as you walk around all day.
Go to the 24 Hour Campfire website, and then the
(home page), and look for the article entitled (big eyes). Its now an older article and newer glasses have come along, but it is a good and accurate read.

Yeah i was leaning toward vortex. Looking for used vultures or vipers. I'd love the meostar hds but wife would castrate me. These are for still/stand hunting only.

Have yous considered a spotting scope? Seems like it may be a better option
No, like I said I'll be in stands, none which really have room for tripod, really just want binos. Here are some examples of the food plots I'll be sitting, .Now also have shooting lanes that go further past the food plots

Attachments

• IMG_20180831_110252.jpg
    IMG_20180831_110252.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 161
I believe you would be better off staying with your 10 power bino's. Once you get to 15 you will need a 56mm objective and real good glass to gain an advantage over your 10's. 500 dollars will likely not get you great quality glass in a 15 power bino. This is just my opinion and it is hard for me to know what you can get for 500 in the US as I live in Canada.

Chances are you either have, or could borrow a rifle with a 15x scope. Just use that to test if increased magnification solves the problem. 15x binos are kind of a specialty item that are used more like a spotting scope/w tripod.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.