156 EOL at 3100 FPS

DonkeyBoy3333

Hi guys!
First post here, but I've been reading for a long time. Sooo...
Looking for new light weight rifle with decent long range capabilities. As always It starts with cartridge choice. I have decided that I will try some bigger 6.5s. After math in my ballistic calculator, I have noticed that new 156 EOL at 3100 fps, can beat 215 hybrid at 3000fps and even 195 EOL at 2800 with much lower recoil. Of course by beating I mean drop and drift. Which cartridge will gives me 3100 ? 6.5PRC looks bit weak for that. I would prefer to stay away from super overbored 26 nosler and 6.5 - 300 wby. My current favorite is 264WM. Is this possible ?
Other choices ? No wildcats :(

Second question. How does new EOL keep on close range impacts? Currently Im 185 vld in my 06, they hold up really well, but MV is 2820 fps ...
best regards

6.5prc and rl26 might do it I ran a 10 shot ladder test over a magneto speed with 140gr Berger's top end on mine was 3214fps.

Hi guys!
First post here, but I've been reading for a long time. Sooo...
Looking for new light weight rifle with decent long range capabilities. As always It starts with cartridge choice. I have decided that I will try some bigger 6.5s. After math in my ballistic calculator, I have noticed that new 156 EOL at 3100 fps, can beat 215 hybrid at 3000fps and even 195 EOL at 2800 with much lower recoil. Of course by beating I mean drop and drift. Which cartridge will gives me 3100 ? 6.5PRC looks bit weak for that. I would prefer to stay away from super overbored 26 nosler and 6.5 - 300 wby. My current favorite is 264WM. Is this possible ?
Other choices ? No wildcats :(

Second question. How does new EOL keep on close range impacts? Currently Im 185 vld in my 06, they hold up really well, but MV is 2820 fps ...
best regards
A 6.5 saum should with enough FB and built on a mid action. The Shermans will but you said no wildcats.

Are we considering the 6.5 SAUM a wildcat still? (I see Rich just posted the same thing.) Built off a medium/long action you could probably get there with that. I can get there with my 06AI with a 26" barrel and RL26 but I topped out around 3120-3130fps.

Rich even a 6.5 saum is a wildcat isn't it?

I believe if you really leaned on a PRC with a 26" barrel on a mid length action you would be close. But accuracy might not be there.

264 wm is probably your best bet or the new 6.5 RPM.
Ya, I guess the saum is not saami but I was thinking their was loaded ammo for it.
I guess the Shermans are pretty much like the saum. Everything is available. That would be a hot load in a PRC!
WM would do it easily!

As far as i know SAUM is wildcat, due to our local regulation i have to reject them:(
Im afraid that i cant find accuracy with those super hot loads im norma and PRC...

Ya, I guess the saum is not saami but I was thinking their was loaded ammo for it.
I guess the Shermans are pretty much like the saum. Everything is available. That would be a hot load in a PRC!
WM would do it easily!

I've seen a few guys get 3040 with the 156 in a 24" PRC. Figured another 50 fps with a 26" would put him close. Especially if he leaned on it.

I think the loaded ammo would be from CC or Unknown Munitions type places.

Go 264 wm.

We don't have a list of approved Cartridges for Poland. Now that I read your load requirements the 26N is your obvious choice.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.